One rifle, One caliber

tim knight

Beginner
Jul 20, 2006
Dont no if this has been asked before but if you was only allowed one centrefire rifle what would it be?

What caliber?
What rifle?
What scope?

It would be 243 win, sako 75 hunter rifle and Swarovski 6-24x50
This would be a good all rounder for the hunting in england

I did that for about ten years as a young man. Dad gave me a 6mm Rem 700 BDL with a little 3-9x scope for my high school graduation present. I was one happy young fellow with that rifle... This was back in the 1970's and frankly a 6mm Remington was pretty exotic stuff among me and my buddies.

Don't think I had another rifle for about 10 years, so I just shot everything with that little 6mm Remington! It worked just fine, but I did have a hankering for something with more horsepower, and now, many years later I've got a doggone safe full of rifles! :grin: They're all fun - but I tell you, life was very simple with one rifle. I even went down to just one load for that 6mm, and hunted varmints - deer with the same ammo. Got to know the rifle and load quite well.

It would have been a better all-around rifle if it had been chambered in .30-06 or .308 Winchester, but frankly the little 6mm Remmy never failed me.

Regards, Guy

For what I ever have, or expect to ever hunt. . . it would be the 280. Also a Sako with a Kahles 3x9 TDS. Shooting 140 Accubonds.

Long

I still have only one hunting rifle.A Winchester Mod 70 BOSS in 338 Win Mag. & 225 Nosler AB's.Does everything I need.

my grandfather has used his mod 70 since 1963 when he bought it
its chambered in 300wm

my dad has hunted since 1975 with his 300wm mod 70

neither one of them has any plans to start shooting anything else

they have both used 180 corelocts as long as ive been around

If by 'allowed' you mean by law then I would do the same as they do in Europe and get a switch barrel gun.

Don't know which one I would pick as I have not faced the problem but I like the Sauer 202 and the idea of a Savage 110.

Suppose I would go with the Savage and a barrel nut wrench.

For barrels I would get the 243, 308 and 358 Win. but in an upscale stock. Not sure what stock but something synthetic and light.

For all over the world? 416 Bee in the MKV !

Leupold QR bases and rings. A leupold 1.5-5 for short range and a 4.5-14x40mm for longer range.

Gee, that is my current setup. How about that?

Mine would be a
Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless Steel & Synthetic Stock
Chambered in .270 Win.
Using 130 grain Ballistic Tips, Ballistic Silvertips, or Barnes TSX(Bear)
Simmons 3x9x40

P.S. This is the rifle I currently use.
It will do the job on anything from Fox to Elk with the right
bullet placement.

Rifle: Remington 700 Bobby Hart Custom
Scope: Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x, 50mm
Caliber: 30 Hart (180 Noslers @ 3230)

I would keep my 700 LSS 338 RUM with a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 and the M1 dials. The 225 gr AB and PT will cover everything in NA.

JD338

Since this is not England, we broke from you some years back. There is no restrictions on how many or what have you. The only limit is what the checkbook or the Mrs will allow. But just for ha ha's then I would have to say 7.62 Nato with a 10 X Mark IV leupold, a heavy barrel. Oh the Marines have it its called the M-40. My reason would be that there would be a civil war if the Goverment decreed just one and only one. Oh one more thing Have a great Christmas Season.

My "Mountain rifle" a Rem 700 (30-06 165grn Scirocco 2887fps) in a McMillan "Rem.sporter"stock with a Leupold-30 4-12x40 on top. Its my

DSC00367.jpg
DSC00293.jpg

Savage99, many countries ser.# the bbls. so switch bbl. is out.
For NA, I would be happy w/ a 30-06, even though I currently don't own one. For hunting the entire worl, the only choice is a .375H&H or .375Wby. :shock:

my CZ in 416 Rigby with the 4.5x14 Leupold, the one sitting in the corner looking at me. With my Wisner floorplate it holds four rounds and one in the chamber...that will take out the first five Elephants, Cape Buffalo, or anything else I need to shoot. I expect to have plenty of time to reload.

Second choice, my 9.5x74R SxS double with a 4-12X Leupold Vari X-II...Bang! Bang!...just that quick.

Rich

tim knight":2nr80g8q said:
Dont no if this has been asked before but if you was only allowed one centrefire rifle what would it be?

What caliber?
What rifle?
What scope?

It would be 243 win, sako 75 hunter rifle and Swarovski 6-24x50
This would be a good all rounder for the hunting in england

Mine would be my 30-06 Remington Model 700 which used to be a Mountian Rifle but now has a sporter-weight barrel on it. I'd keep the 2.5x8 Vari-X III on it. The load would be... hmmm.... I guess it'd be a 165-gn AccuBond at just shy of 3000 fps. Or maybe a 180-gn. I'd have to think on that one.

I was very tempted to say my .338 Win Mag, but if I could only have one rifle that implies that there's some reason for it, like government restrictions or extreme poverty. In the case of the US government restricting me to one rifle, I'd rather it was a 30-06 because as the revolution wore on, it'd be easy to keep getting ammo for it! :) Or in the case of extreme poverty on my part, 30-06 ammo is much cheaper than 338 win mag.

-jeff

Sako m75 SS 300WM, Leupold VX3 3-10x40 scope, 180gr Accubonds, Butler Creek Highlander sling. :grin: Hey thats like my rifle but I got some custom fluting and teflon coated the flutes only. Best Alberta & North American big game caliber in my view. If you like, go with 200gr Accubonds if you like for largr game and 150 for the smaller ones.

Mighty Peace":1suszitf said:
Sako m75 SS 300WM, Leupold VX3 3-10x40 scope, 180gr Accubonds, Butler Creek Highlander sling. :grin: Hey thats like my rifle but I got some custom fluting and teflon coated the flutes only. Best Alberta & North American big game caliber in my view. If you like, go with 200gr Accubonds if you like for largr game and 150 for the smaller ones.

I like your choice, though I've never owned a 300 mag and probably never will, it's still a great caliber.

Personally, I don't buy into the whole match-the-bullet-weight-to-the-game thing. Oh, I believe in using heavy bullets for heavy game, but the heavy bullets are usually the best for the lighter game too IMHO! Sure they will overpenetrate but then so will the lighter bullet and the lighter bullet is just going too fast, especially from a 300 mag. You could lose 2 quarters of meat that way. Plus... for all practical purposes the 200 will shoot as flat as the 150 anyway and buck wind far better and retain energy far better too.

If i did have a 300 mag I'd probably work up a good 180-gn load and be done with it... fior me, 30-06 does just fine and where it leaves off I'd rather step up to my 338 Win Mag.

-jeff

Back