Ontario 2016 spring bear hunt successful

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Hi fellas, I got to camp late Saturday afternoon, got all my gear unpacked etc, started hunting Sunday afternoon, I was in my tree stand at 4:15 pm, boy it didn't take long, at about 4:45 a nice Bear came out and played around the bait without any decent shot opportunity , the he finally gave me a broadside shot at 50 yds with my 300 win mag loaded with 180gr nosler partitions , I put the cross hairs right behind his left shoulder and launched off the shot, upon impact he tipped right over and jumped only 12 feet and expired, we weighed and measured him, he was 225 pounds and measured almost 6 feet, just relaxing now and going to head back home tomorrow, I'm pulling for Steve from Leesburg VA (Loudoun county) to connect on a bear hopefully tonight or before Saturday (y)

I'll post some pics when I get back home, gotta stop by the butcher shop and taxidermist on the way home, he'll be all smoked sausage and another 3/4 mount 8)

Lou

Congratulations, Lou. We're looking forward to the pictures! Wow! Fifty yards. Hard to miss at that range. Again, congratulations.

DrMike":1h1f7x3s said:
Congratulations, Lou. We're looking forward to the pictures! Wow! Fifty yards. Hard to miss at that range. Again, congratulations.

I know hunters that have missed or wounded game even closer than that Mike, things happen, but not for me, 50 or 350, sane thing, gotta put that bullet were he lives pal ☺
Lou

Lou,

Congratulations on your bear. You got a dandy.

JD338

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Congratulations. Looking forward to the photos. Too cool... (y)

Awesome Lou!
Looking forward to the pictures.
Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, I got home late last night, anyways the 180gr Partition (PP) performed like advertised and made a 2" entry hole, and about a 1.5" exit hole breaking ribs both in and out, he's a good bear with some rub marks on the hind quarters, not good enough for me for a rug, or life size mount, so he's going to be a half mount with open mouth and some habitat, the skull measured 15" and he would of been about 300lbs plus come fall, I'm working on some pics right now,

Lou :)

Looks to be a fine setup, Lou. Good sized bear. Congratulations, again.

I hope Steve connects tonight or tomorrow, I'm waiting to here from him, :grin:

Lou (y)

DrMike":1hzjpzwc said:
Much better picture. A bear to make you proud, Lou.

Thanks Mike :) ..Man, I shot that bear just before 5pm, and had to wait until 10pm to be picked up from my stand :roll: ..long 5 hours to wait, or walk 5 miles, it would of been nice to take some nice pics in the bush, oh well!..anyways, this boar only had 1 claw (missing 4 of them) on his left :shock: ..my taxidermist said he might have been caught/ stuck in a trappers trap, no big deal, he has plenty of front claws to transplant and make it look great! :grin: ..I'm sure your going to like the way the mount looks like when ready! :wink:

Lou (y)

Lou, I started to comment that the bear was badly rubbed and was not nearly as black as he should have been. :? Then I realized that I had confused the bear with you. :shock: Seriously, fine bear. It is raining today and I'm under the gun with a wedding on Saturday, so I won't have a chance to get out but perhaps one more time before our spring season closes. Hope I do as well as you have done. (y)

DrMike":1q3ew2gq said:
Lou, I started to comment that the bear was badly rubbed and was not nearly as black as he should have been. :? Then I realized that I had confused the bear with you. :shock: Seriously, fine bear. It is raining today and I'm under the gun with a wedding on Saturday, so I won't have a chance to get out but perhaps one more time before our spring season closes. Hope I do as well as you have done. (y)

Best of luck to you Mike (y) ..my bear is in good shape for the mount that I want :wink:

I hope you tag one buddy! (y)
Lou

Lou,

Very nice bear, congratulations .
The 300 WM gave him a dirt nap for sure.

JD338

JD338":2clwu776 said:
Lou,

Very nice bear, congratulations .
The 300 WM gave him a dirt nap for sure.

JD338

Thanks Jim, man those 180gr partitions perform flawlessly!..I guess you know the meat well be all sausage smokies, but wait until you see the mount that I'm doing :grin: ..this is my only hunt for the year, so I'm going to do this guy right! :wink:

Lou :wink:

Back