Opening day in KY

chrispbrown27

Beginner
Sep 12, 2011
Well after a loooong wait the boys came through. Half an hour of shooting light left and five deer walk out in front of me and my buddies son. He lines up on the closest one and the Winchester 88 barked. The deer disappeared into the treeline and we stood up to stretch. Looked over and my nephew, who was about 200 yards down the same field, had a deer standing in front of him. That deer walked off and I nearly had a heart attack and suddenly I realized there was another one standing right in front of him! After what seemed like hours the 6mm barked and down went the deer. I stress myself out every year trying to make sure that the kids get deer in front of them, that they can shoot well and getting everything ready. After only seeing three deer that morning a long way off I was getting pretty nervous about not getting their deer for them, so when these showed up and they hit the ground I could finally breath again. I truly enjoy taking these boys out every year even though I stress out about it....it all melts away when they succeed.
After all of the work developing a load for the 6mm with the 80 grain GMX's and getting the speed just right so they would expand right my nephew, who was shooting the 6mm, shot his deer at 15 yards! That bullet probably hit that deer at around 3100 fps and penciled right through! ha ha My buddies son shot the Winchester 88 in 308 and shot just a hair low. Took out both front legs and blew the chest wide open on his deer at about 120 yards.

Attachments

• tucknmyles.jpg
    tucknmyles.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 369
Congratulations to those fellows; they did a fine job with those deer. Congratulations to you, Chris; you did well passing the fever along to those boys.

Very nice...congratulations to you and the boys...

I do believe I saw this same picture on the Kentucky Hunting Forum...

Cheers/bg

I am just south of Paducah. We moved here 3 and a half years ago from the Illinois side of the St. Louis area.

Back