opions appreciated.

I like the 243. With good bullets it kills white tails and even black bear really well. I've shot a lot of deer with the 95 grain BT and the 100 grain Partition. Most of the deer were in Northern NY so bucks went from 140 up to 200 dressed. With the great bullets available it'll do the job.

Both of the others are great as well but for a dual purpose cartridge a 243 is pretty danged good.

I'am thinking about getting a short action rifle for WT's, are deer range from
100 - 150 lbs.

most of my hunting is in timber with a few fields, most range would be
20 - 200 yrds.

For the limited range and size of your deer - 243W with 95/100gn Noslers will do nicely. For timber shooting I would lean towards the 100PT. No need for the benefits of the 6.5mm high BC bullets when shooting at these ranges. It still impresses me - the 95BT and 100PT bullets performance on deer. If you were to be stretching your shots beyond 300yds then I would be using the 6.5mm cartridges.

I have used the 243 as a varmint/short range deer rifle. Very effective cartridge. 55 grain for small varmints, 70 to 80 grains for coyotes, 95 to 100 grains for deer. I consider it a varmint rifle that you can deer hunt with.

I have a close friend that does it all with a 22-250. The deer hunting side is a little sketchy in my opinion.

My favorite dual purpose varmint/deer cartridge is the 25-06. I am not afraid to stretch the range out to 400 on deer with this setup. 85 grain for varmints, 110 to 115 grains for deer. I consider this a deer rifle that is a little heavy on varmints and focus mostly on yotes with this rig.

The 6.5 CM would be pretty similar to the 25-06. Better deer round but a touch heavy for little critters.

I was actually serious about my .30-30 lever action rifle recommendation, for smallish deer at 20 - 200 yards. It's perfect in that role.

However, with varmints included... The .243 would be my pick. Years of varmint, coyote & deer hunting with the very similar 6mm Remington have convinced me that the .243 & 6mm excel at that sort of thing. Don't be afraid to push the .243 out to 300 or more either... Highly recommend the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 100 gr Nosler Partition.

Regards, Guy

Receipts for every rifle you have I have loaded a round for the 3030 that rolls out at 3800 fps. So don't think your rifle is to limited

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

In my mind nothing carries as well for close hunting as a model 94. My eyes aren't what they use to be but I can still hit steel at 100 yards with one.
Can't believe Bill never owned one, boggles my brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear that of all my rifles I almost always take the oldest.it my seats 3030 killed a lot of animals and the feed a lot of orphans and elderly .but your right my eye old and I have to get closer but it makes it fun

ramiroh146":s5uzlg4s said:
Receipts for every rifle you have I have loaded a round for the 3030 that rolls out at 3800 fps. So don't think your rifle is to limited

So tell me more about this 3800 fps .30-30 load of yours please.

Rifle, barrel length, bullet type and weight, powder charge, etc...

Please?

I love the little ol' .30-30, but never heard of a 3800 fps load for it.

Thanks, Guy

I didn't want to sound like a butt. I don't give receipts out or info.in reloading . I don't know what condition your arms are in you might just kill yourself. I don't know if rifle can take the pressure. So I always say look it up. Look at the fine details.Becareful.good luck.

ramiroh146":boradsw5 said:
Look in an older reload manuels.lused a 30 cal. 110 gr.

3800 fps, with a 110 grain bullet, from a .30-30 ?

Just wanted to be sure... :grin:

Merry Christmas!

Guy

The Sweeds been killing from Fox to Moose with the 6.5X55 since 1894. Nothing wrong about shooting deer with any of the 6.5mm rounds

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3800 in a 30/30 with a 110 bullet ?

What bullet was used and did they hold together ? I was thinking 2800 is high, but 3800, whoa.

Europe":x36kazsg said:
3800 in a 30/30 with a 110 bullet ?

What bullet was used and did they hold together ? I was thinking 2800 is high, but 3800, whoa.

I'm thinking he meant 2,800 fps. Which would be well above "book" loads but probably possible.

3,800 fps... with a 110, that sounds like .300 magnum country, not .30-30 country.

Regards, Guy

How about you provide the reference to this hyper-velocity load? You brought it up.

And maybe split the topic off to its own thread so we don't hijack the OP's topic.

ramiroh146":1i0rxg9h said:
Look it up

I am an old non computer savvy female so if you would be so kind as to point me to the reloading manual where you found this I would appreciate it, thank you.

My son still has his dad's old 30/30 so of course we would want to make sure we didn't damage the rifle or him by not having all the facts before we attempt this supersonic round

I agree a separate thread might be in order so as not to take away from the op's thread, good point

Back