opions appreciated.

Ya know, Quickload shows the 300 RUM with N570 would get close to 3800 with a 26 inch barrel... :roll:

No kidding. I was trying to figure out if there was any way possible. I think I have heard of guys chambering a bolt gun in 30-30 so they can run up the pressure, but why??? Or maybe he was confused and called his 300 RUM a 30-30??? Or was using drop data out to 100 to estimate his speed??? Or making it up on the fly...

Regardless, NUTS!

SJB358":2s26zgkl said:
FOTIS":2s26zgkl said:
ramiroh146":2s26zgkl said:
Receipts for every rifle you have I have loaded a round for the 3030 that rolls out at 3800 fps. So don't think your rifle is to limited

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

The 30-30 can NOT be loaded to that velocity unless you're using pixy dust for powder. :roll:

At least not for more than 1 round :lol:

I think someone needs a new chronograph (or just needs one)

In my experience the 7mm-08 is appropriate from this (440 yards)

imagejpg1_zps3d9e375a.jpg

To this (541 yards)

IMG_0110_zpsrnwxteng.jpg

To this (225 yards):

IMG_3766_zps2tpww811.jpg

P

I took the 243 away from my son...too many hit deer without reliable blood trail. I'd trust a 7mm-08 or 308 all the time, lots of great rounds. He hasn't lost one since moving up to 308.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've always consider a 243W to be "deer size" appropriate cartridge.
Although, I've never had a rifle in that caliber.
I also believed that the 243W has its limits.

My experience is limited to friends and buddies I've been on hunts with.
I was with a group on a guided hunt for deer and hogs.
One guy in our group was VERY recoil sensitive.
Sighting-in, he pulled out a Browning BAR in 243 w/ a Boss recoil brake.
Noticed the guides eyed each other for some ??? reason when he showed it to them.
He shot it very well and it was very accurate on paper.
He took a deer and a small 90lb hog with it on very the 1st day.
Both were DRT from double lung shots - entrance and exit holes were small.
2nd evening he shot a larger hog and it ran off.
Our guide was in no hurry to go looking for that hog after dark.
Guide suggested we go back to camp and eat dinner and they would come back to look for his hog.
He and 2 guides when back to trail his hog about 9pm.
It was still alive and charged them - Guide stopped it with a 12ga slug.
His original shot looked good - Was double lung just like his other shots had been except no exit hole.

I also remember reading an Elk survey from the CPW - Can't find the link now.
Basically, It was a survey summarizing rifle cartridges use on Elk with the hunters success.
The smallest cartridge in the survey was a 243W
and their were a lot of'em which kinda surprised me.
The next smaller sizes were 25-06s, 270Ws, 30-30s and thru 308Ws, 30-06s.
All way up through 300Ws and 338Ws.
The survey results were that there were no real statistical differences
in all the cartridges from 25-06 to the 338W in % Elk shot but lost.
Except both the number of Elk and percentage lost for the 243
was much higher than any of the other cartridges in the survey.

Exit wounds are key to great blood trails. I hate losing anything. Would like a o get him a 7-08 out 308....with nice triggers

SJB358":1qiuikle said:
I like the 243. With good bullets it kills white tails and even black bear really well. I've shot a lot of deer with the 95 grain BT and the 100 grain Partition. Most of the deer were in Northern NY so bucks went from 140 up to 200 dressed. With the great bullets available it'll do the job.

Both of the others are great as well but for a dual purpose cartridge a 243 is pretty danged good.

What kind of bullet do you like for 243 Win?

mjcmichigan":gf66zkp0 said:
SJB358":gf66zkp0 said:
I like the 243. With good bullets it kills white tails and even black bear really well. I've shot a lot of deer with the 95 grain BT and the 100 grain Partition. Most of the deer were in Northern NY so bucks went from 140 up to 200 dressed. With the great bullets available it'll do the job.

Both of the others are great as well but for a dual purpose cartridge a 243 is pretty danged good.

What kind of bullet do you like for 243 Win?

90 AccuBond, 95 Ballistic Tip and 100 Partition. Those three have all worked very well for me.

First mule deer my son shot as a kid, with the 6mm Rem (very similar to the .243 Win) was with the 95 grain Ballistic Tip. Range was around 275 yards as I recall.

Bullet punched through the chest, then out through the off-side fore-leg, shattering the bone. I can't seem to remember if he got heart, lungs, or both. Whatever, it worked FAST.

She dropped instantly and died very quickly. I was thoroughly impressed with the shot, and that bullet. He's taken several other whitetail & mule deer with it over the years since, but moved up to a .30-06 for bear and elk hunting.

Here's the young fellow with his first deer! I haven't posted that photo in a while. Dang, he was young. Good thing I haven't aged...

Guy

Back