bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
PRICE'S CORNER - OPTICS
By: Mike Price

http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner%2F130601

78809e4d.jpg

Mike,
Good reading as usual. The thing is that the people who do spotting with their rifles need to read this. I hope they do.
Russ

Thanks russ, yes, one needs to identify the target before pointing a scoped rifle in the direction of the target.

It gives me the terminal heebie jeebies to have someone watch me through a rifle scope. They teach about that in Hunter's Safety. I hope everyone takes that seriously!

I've never quite understood how people can take the safety course or pass the hunter's test to get a licence, and still think it is proper to use a rifle scope as though it was a pair of binos or a spotting scope. It is a minority, but when I'm on the receiving end of such action, I respond with considerable choler.

DrMike":3qfv40qt said:
I've never quite understood how people can take the safety course or pass the hunter's test to get a licence, and still think it is proper to use a rifle scope as though it was a pair of binos or a spotting scope. It is a minority, but when I'm on the receiving end of such action, I respond with considerable choler.

That is why I just don't like to hunt where other people are! I know it can't be avoided sometimes, but I would prefer to hike two hours to be away from other hunters.

SJB358":37h2y1un said:
That is why I just don't like to hunt where other people are! I know it can't be avoided sometimes, but I would prefer to hike two hours to be away from other hunters.

That is for sure!

SJB358":27e97du1 said:
DrMike":27e97du1 said:

AMEN!!! I have hiked for a couple of hours to get where folks are not, well said. I really don't like to hunt where there are a lot of hunters. I guess that is why I love hunting black bear in Arizona, because I have days at a time where I do not see another hunter, but I make sure I get way out there. Oddly enough, most hunters I have run into out west have hanging around their neck a set of binoculars (even when in dark timber) and many have in their back packs a bigger set of binoculars or spotting scope and a light weight tripod. Here in Mississippi it is another matter altogether indeed.

I have actually on one hunt while hanging in a tree in my deer stand had 6, that's right 6 hunters in the middle of the morning about 15 to 20 minutes apart come walking through the woods trying to hunt by stalking and we are talking thick stuff. You can't spot and stalk where I was hunting due to terrain and the number of hunters that are in the woods. I just got down and went home. Scotty, I am with you on not liking a lot of hunters around me. Now I get up at 3:00am and get to the woods and go a good hour on four wheeler into the old river management area, then get off my fourwheeler (because you can't go any further on it) and go for another 45minutes to and hour hiking to where I want to go.

Now that has caused me some excitement, because one time a big boar broke out on me because I surprised him walking in the near dark and he put me in a tree because there was no way I could have seen my sights, it was to dark. That was an exciting moment, but I still do this when hunting in old river management area just to get away from hunters. I have actually seen guys down here spotting me with their rifles as I was glassing with my binoculars. I actually get down (wearing orange all over me) and go and ask them not to do it again. When this happens it has ruined some of my hunts and the day of hunting was lost.

Once you know for sure you have a deer or whatever animal you are hunting positively identified then you can shoulder your scoped rifle. Safety first! That is not so hard to do if you respect the other hunters, human life and desiring to be ethically legal with your hunt, because there might be somewhere in your line of sight or actually what you thought was game a man, boy, girl or woman step out into the open or on the edge of the opening. Killing a trophy is not worth a mistake, just not worth it at all.

Back