Oregon draw buck deer

baltz526

Handloader
Sep 25, 2005
Put in my draw choices today. I will be trying to draw the 4th year in a row, for Fort Rock 177. Camp will probably a little farther east this year. Last years early rain/snow pushed the deer past my last camp area before season started. We did fill one tag but most deer where east of us. If anyone is interested in the Fort Rock unit for deer this year, lots of room in camp. Killed a cougar that was feeding on these migrators in February, So I will not feel bad putting a nice buck in the freezer this fall. I still believe the largest Bucks in Oregon are in the Fort Rock unit in October. They hold up in the Tree farms and Jack pine thickets. Odds of seeing one is extremely thin, But you can not kill them if you do not go in after them.

The genetics in this area are extraordinary, a routine drive by some of the old ranches would bear that out. In the sixties and seventies the China hat area to the northwest of fort rock was one of the most productive in Oregon. The country has changed remarkably in the last 45 years, primarily the result of changes in forest management. I haven't hunted deer there in a long time, but as a kid we killed a Hell of a lot of deer there and the smallest four point, was far bigger than anything I've ever seen in Washington. I'm just saying.
Baltz has made a Hell of an offer, if you're looking for a spot to hunt mulies in Oregon you need to get in touch with him. I don't hunt there anymore simply because my preference is wide open country east of there about 100 miles.

I would call it a hunt for the dedicated. Where the big bucks are, is some of the thickest, jackpine thicket you ever saw. The deer are well educated, A 1 month Bow season for Deer and Elk just finishes before rifle opens. They are extremely jumpy and have been pressured. The basic tactic is pattern deer movement in an area then still hunt through it, making short stands in likely spots. All daylight hours. Boots on the ground hunting in the thicket edges most of the time. Some partial cut hunting and Meadow/creek edges thrown in. It is not for the faint of heart or easily bored hunter. Patience of a monk is needed, with the ability to be on your feet 12hrs a day for 12 days. I'm not sure If I will draw the tag, Odds book says I have a very good chance If tag numbers stay the same, 100% But My real world look at the odds says about 90%. I'll be using My 17' TT as a camp, So if you draw and want to camp. Bring your own.

Just learned My hunting partner who killed one on this hunt last year, should draw his out of state Antelope tag for October. So its official I'm on my own.

2011fortrockcamp.jpg This is my Samurai/wall tent camp. I do not always use it. Pretty big production for solo trips.

Thank you for the photos :) that dressed deer has definitely fed well. I bet he was great table fare these last few months?

Blessings,
Dan

Heck of a nice buck!

That's some good country. I've spent a little time there, never hunted it though.

Guy

Wow, that is some layer of fat on that buck!

Looks like beautiful country!

So the odds are low for me as a non resident, as a fifth generation Oregonian I hate saying that, I'll be putting in for Fort rock as one of my deer choices. The old man said he'll come out for a few days from Bend if I draw.

salmonchaser":1f18g92e said:
So the odds are low for me as a non resident, as a fifth generation Oregonian I hate saying that, I'll be putting in for Fort rock as one of my deer choices. The old man said he'll come out for a few days from Bend if I draw.
I just looked at the odds of a nonresident drawing if they apply 1st choice with 0 points. Looks like 100% chance. 137 nonresident tags are available. Not a tag to burm points on. But if you are at zero, it might be worth the 1st choice. https://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/ Look here to check odds. On 177 you will see no nonresident odds is listed. I believe he has it like that, because nonresident tags are not filled. It might even be possible to draw it as a second choice, But I'm not sure. You could Email Ron to ask.

I'm the proud winner of the 177 Fort Rock buck tag. 4th year in a row. Warner Elk 2nd season if anyone is interested.

Very cool!

My son, Brian, Shaun and Chris (three great friends) all drew 2nd season tags for Mt. Emily this Fall. Should be an excellent Fall if we can pull it off.

Waiting to hear from Bill, but I am betting he drew the same tag too.

I'll be in the unit the full season with camp. Mostly hunting mature bucks, But the freezer is empty So will take a good meat buck after the first week. Probably will pass up anything under a 3yr old even then. If anyone Has the tag, Feel free to contact me for camp location.

We have been getting good summer monsoons the last few weeks, About 8" total rain at my house. More in parts of the Fort Rock unit. Little Bucks I have seen are finishing up the antler growth. feed is not all cooked off by the summer heat. Should be some Prime Deer Meat this year.

Waiting to hear from Bill, but I am betting he drew the same tag too.

I did draw the Oregon tag, I thought I had posted that here. Anyway I am back to work tomorrow in Central Washington. This will be last trip on fires this year. I have been out 25 days now, and I want to have time to finish a few things on the house, and start packing for Wyoming.

Back