Out of state hunts - lessons learned?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Want to start a list of lessons learned on out-of-state hunts? Here's a few things I've picked up over the years, and I haven't done a lot of out-of-state hunts:

1. You're not home, or even close to home. Bring everything and be prepared with extra money to buy stuff you didn't bring.

2. Listen to the locals about safety stuff - bad roads, thieves, grizzlies, little things like that can ruin a whole hunt.

3. Maps. More maps. Really good maps. A compass (or two) and a GPS help too. Maps. Scouting ahead of the season helps too.

4. Expect some resentment from some folks when they see your out-of-state plates, particularly if you bag a big one... Some folks don't realize this is the "United" States... I didn't go to war for just Washington state!

5. If you're going "out west" for that big classic hunt - wow... the list of things to do is long - but start planning early. Get in shape. Most of Wyoming is sitting at lung-sucking altitudes... Heck, they walk around at 6,000' every doggone day and hunt at 10,000' - crazies.

6. Make sure your gun works. Bring ammo. Doh! This group should have no trouble with the gun, scope and ammo end of things!

7. Tags and licenses are good to have, particularly when the warden shows up. Wear your hunter orange.

8. Make sure your vehicle is up to the job. I put about 1800 miles on this trip to and from Wyoming including hours of freeway running at 75 mph. My '99 Dodge has 95,000+ miles on it but is in good shape and I serviced it right before the trip. Good tires and tire chains are a great idea out here.

9. Plan ahead on how to take care of downed game. Can you move it once it's down? Can you get it out of that hole it ran into after being shot? Can you clean and skin it yourself? Do you know where the meat processor is or is that a job you can do yourself. Thought about taxidermy?

10. Relax and enjoy. Out of state trips can be great. Plan early, hope to be drawn for that tag and enjoy. I really should have brought my fly rod too.

More lessons?

Guy Miner":283r3c8k said:
Want to start a list of lessons learned on out-of-state hunts? Here's a few things I've picked up over the years, and I haven't done a lot of out-of-state hunts:

5. If you're going "out west" for that big classic hunt - wow... the list of things to do is long - but start planning early. Get in shape. Most of Wyoming is sitting at lung-sucking altitudes... Heck, they walk around at 6,000' every doggone day and hunt at 10,000' - crazies.

More lessons?

YUP! You really will not realize this until you're there!

I'll second the part about bringing enough money. Every trip I have ever been on had unplanned expenses. Also, a lot of places won't take checks and some won't even take credit cards. Have some cash, $20 bills are nice.

Guy,
You said it about the altitude. One of the areas we really like to hunt elk is between 11 & 13 thousand feet. It's best to show up several ( 3 or more days early ) Helps with the aclimation ( sp )? process and makes the hunt much more enjoyable.

Guy, you forgot one very important lesson, one that has given me access to Milk river and Missouri river land to hunt. MAKE FRIENDS, they will truely last a lifetime. People in the Western states, or East of Western Washington are very genuine and sincere. When they say you are welcome to come back they really mean it.

Lefty - you're 100% on that one!

A few days ago I took a nice fat young mulie buck with a really tall rack. It wouldn't have happened without help from some very generous people who opened up their land to me, and who helped me on the hunt.

Those folks are some of the finest people I"ve ever met and I believe we're good friends now, even after just a few days together.

Great point! :grin:

great post. I plan on putting in for a couple of out of state hunts next year & have already started my checklist. I hate when I'm a couple hours away & forget something. I will surely print this post out for reference!

Make sure to check the local game regs.Some states require hunter orange,have minimum caliber requirements ect.Also there may be extra stamps(ie.conservation stamp)that are required. 8)

Wyoming's "conservation stamp" is just such a thing - cost about $10 and can't be purchsed on-line or over the phone from what I understand. I've hunted twice in Wyoming, and bought mine over-the-counter twice on my arrival in state.

Interesting point about the caliber restrictions - there are some, and it would be prudent to look 'em over if you're fond of shooting big game with a .223 or something. I understand Idaho has some interesting regs concerning total rifle weight and restrictions on the .50 BMG cartridge - but I don't know what they are. Mostly a hunter is okay if he's using the mainstream big game cartridges.

Back