Own any rifles you haven't shot?

I havea couple. One is a Winchester model 42 .410 shotgun that dad bought when he got too "old" to carry the big shotguns, so he found the 42 at a gun show, serial number puts it 1936...Then Theres a Remington 552 "speedmaster" I grabbed up a couple years ago. They're nothing special, but sthey're pecial to me.
I had a Remington 572 Field Master which was an excellent rifle. I sold it, however, and bought a Browning T-Bolt so I could use a detachable magazine rather than the tubular magazine. The 552 was a fine little rifle. Yeah, that could be special.

I've shot every gun I have owned. There is one in particular that I've only shot once and hope I don't ever have to use it
Mossberg 12 ga riot gun cylinder bore that is stuffed with 00 Buck.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_074816766.jpg
    IMG_20220621_074816766.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 2
Umm no... I shoot 'em. :)

Years ago I bought a really nice two year old Dodge Ram 4x4 pickup and took it out to hunt with my farmer friend here in Washington. We were on a "road" that was quickly turning into a two-track with brush and tree limbs reaching for the truck on each side.

My buddy asked "Are you sure you want to take your new truck through this?"

I just grinned, said "Yes" and drove on through with the branches giving my truck permanent "pinstripes." :)

Same with my rifles. Get a new one, take it to the range. Even the cool old collectible ones.

Regards, Guy

I bought a new AR15 probably about 10 or so years ago . I'm not even sure I've had it out of the box , I've definitely not fired it . at the time I thought I wanted one , but soon realized it's not me . I also bought a case of ammo , and all the reloading components , dies , and necessary things . I just have zero interest in it .

Umm no... I shoot 'em. :)

Years ago I bought a really nice two year old Dodge Ram 4x4 pickup and took it out to hunt with my farmer friend here in Washington. We were on a "road" that was quickly turning into a two-track with brush and tree limbs reaching for the truck on each side.

My buddy asked "Are you sure you want to take your new truck through this?"

I just grinned, said "Yes" and drove on through with the branches giving my truck permanent "pinstripes." :)

Same with my rifles. Get a new one, take it to the range. Even the cool old collectible ones.

Regards, Guy
I used to have a 20 year old Silverado. When we were deer hunting they were talking about a road that lead to a particular spot they wanted to check out. One buddy said, “it’s real rough with briers hanging over the road, you wouldn’t want to take a nice truck up that road” without missing a beat, the other friend said “we’ll, we could take Howie’s truck” 😏😏

Well like I said before in my opinion there's not a right or wrong regarding such a thing, good or bad, just is.

I can say for certainty whether by choice or circumstances, if I owned just a few rifles, by now most if not all would be on the backside of their barrel life regardless of what they were when I purchased them. As it is I don't have too many from a collection standpoint, (which I thoroughly enjoy as long as I'm able) but too many to have a reasonable expectation or need of using them all. Just the way such a thing works.

If the next person just had one or 2 rifles and took the other money I've spent on the rest and put it into a ski boat, that's not wrong either. Foolish, but not wrong. Ha! :p :D It's America. Have at it.

I bought a new AR15 probably about 10 or so years ago . I'm not even sure I've had it out of the box , I've definitely not fired it . at the time I thought I wanted one , but soon realized it's not me . I also bought a case of ammo , and all the reloading components , dies , and necessary things . I just have zero interest in it .

Jim, you're 1 up on me whether you've shot it or not. I still don't own one. I've thought more than once that I should have one just to have it, but I know ahead of time it's not going to be my thing, and just never got it done up to this point.

Jim, you're 1 up on me whether you've shot it or not. I still don't own one. I've thought more than once that I should have one just to have it, but I know ahead of time it's not going to be my thing, and just never got it done up to this point.
A mini 14 is as close as I've gotten to owning an AR

I have used an AR for hog hunting at night . I used one of the outfitters AR's with a thermal sight . these are just not my thing .if I had a thermal on a bolt gun , I'd have used it instead .

purchased 1/24/2013 .

P8020437.JPG

P8020436.JPG

I purchased a used Mauser several years ago because it had a carbine length barrel and was marked as being 8x57 - someone had clearly cut it down to length and affixed a new front sight. I should have looked at the stamp to confirm, but nope, I was having a stupid moment. I got it home, looked it over, and saw it was chambered in.... .308? Whaaat? It is a Spanish Civil Guard Mauser, re-cut from (I assume) 7x57 to .308. It's old. I think I tracked it down once to early 30's manufacture. And, to be perfectly honest, I've been terrified to try and shoot commercial .308 through it. Perhaps once I get through a few reloading projects, I will do up some 30-30 level loads for it and give it a go. Until then? Nope.
First, I would determine which Mauser I had. Is it an 93, 95, or 98. Quick test for M98 is it cocks on the opening. If your rifle doesn't it's one of the other two.
If what your rifle is what I think it is, it's a model 1916 which is a model1893 with modifications. Look at the bottom of the bolt. If it's flat, it's an M93 or the M1916 Version of the M93. Wouldn't surprise me if the barrel were a two groove 1 in 10". Some of those rifles had an attachment on the front ot the to make it look like a semi-auto. Original cartridge was the .308 CETME for Spians CETME assault rifle so they just downloaded the .308 to CETME standards. All those rifles converted .308 were backup if they couldn't get the semi operational. They finally got the CETME operational using full power 7.62 NATO.
I have an internet friend that knows a fellow who will use M93 and M95 Mausers for his conversions, some wildcats running well over 60 to 65 KPSI pressure levels.I think you worry overmuch about nothing. Consider this during thr 20s and 30" s thousands of there 93 and 95 Mausers were flooding the country, whether by illegals fleeing revolutions or other sources. Dunno if it was Winchester or Remington that raised the alarm, but people were buying those rifle at a very nice price. One source stated the a cherry M93 or 95 would go for a five dollar bill and probably ammo thrown in. The only problem I see about the 93/95 is por gas handling. Shouldn't be a problem in your rifle.
I apologize for being so long winded but I had an 1893 Mauser that some well hidden gunsmith built into one of the most beautiful rifles I ever owned. Believing all the BS on how unsafe those rifles were I sold it. I'll probably never own another like it. Go ahead and shoot some fullpower ammo and enjoy the rifle.
Paul B.

Aye, 'tis a handsome piece with a classic patina. We're all envious, Scotty. Make time, man! It is criminal to keep us all in suspense waiting to see how it wrings out.

I apologize for being so long winded but I had an 1893 Mauser that some well hidden gunsmith built into one of the most beautiful rifles I ever owned. Believing all the BS on how unsafe those rifles were I sold it. I'll probably never own another like it. Go ahead and shoot some fullpower ammo and enjoy the rifle.
Paul B.
Don't apologize. I don't consider something long-winded if education is occurring, and it certainly was for me. Mine is a cock on closing, so that narrows things down a bit. It also has a thing where it like to bind up when trying to feed from the left side of the magazine - tried NATO ball, commercial SP, handloads, and snap caps; all do the same thing. I'll get it figured out, and I don't want to hijack the thread.

So, I will say thank you for the insight, and now I am super happy to have a short, light, utility rifle. It's literally something I've wanted all my adult (and most of my adolescent) life. No kidding, I always tried to find a decent No. 5 Jungle Carbine, but never got to the meeting place of money and availability. Still want one, but this will fill that hole nicely.

Again, thanks.

Well I have a Savage 99 in .308 Win just don’t know what future it has with Me. The other one is a 1100 28ga TC Skeet in great looking wood. I was waiting till I ran 100 straight in trap last year before I shot it well In did that, But I got involved in two Trap leagues one in Dubuque IA and one across the river in Potosi WI. I was high gun at both and did not get to the Skeet range as Trap was taking up my time. I need to shoot it and as soon, as when I retire get another GSP then take it Pheasant Hunting.

I am ashamed to say that I do have a rifle, for five years or so, that I have not fired. It's a Rem 740 chambered for .244 Rem. But I am going to cure that issue soon. I have reloads ready to try her out. The rifle doesn't look like it got much use in its day.740 (2) (1).JPG

Last edited:
Back