paint

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
I got tired of looking at my ugly Savage, so I gave it a little makeover. It's still no beauty queen, but it's a change.

Before:

DSC06629-1.JPG

DSC06620.JPG

After:

DSC08499.JPG

DSC08503.JPG

DSC08506.JPG

It certainly adds character. It looks much better. Good job.

I really like your pattern. Looks kinda like what we call Cane break, named after the Cane-break rattle snake found down here in Fl. and southern Ga

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

The barrel is a 20" Savage barrel. I traded for the rifle so I don't know the exact history of it. I have been unable to find any reference to this being a factory options, so I suspect that a previous owner had it cut down or it was custom ordered from Savage.

The painting process is very easy. I'll be happy to share the details if anyone is interested... just not tonight - its been a long two days of pumping basements.

What did you use? Doesn't look like duracoat or krylon? Or maybe you sprayed a clearcoat on it? Nice work and attention to detail. Now all you need is a 6.5x47 lapua barrel for it :twisted:

Thanks again, guys.

Can i send mine over?

Only if you're a PA resident. I think the law frowns on interstate firearm shipments without the use of an FFL. For the cost of shipping, you could do it yourself, it really is pretty easy.

What do you call the camo design?

I never gave any thought to naming it.

Or maybe you sprayed a clearcoat on it?

That's the one. I finished with two coats of Rustoleum Clear Matte. It still has a little more sheen than I'd like, but no more than a matte finished scope.

Now all you need is a 6.5x47 lapua barrel for it

This one is too accurate to touch. It shoots sub 1/2 MOA groups on a regular basis. I won't say every time, but it is rare that a group goes over 3/4 MOA.

ROVERT":2x37fie8 said:
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

The barrel is a 20" Savage barrel. I traded for the rifle so I don't know the exact history of it. I have been unable to find any reference to this being a factory options, so I suspect that a previous owner had it cut down or it was custom ordered from Savage.

The painting process is very easy. I'll be happy to share the details if anyone is interested... just not tonight - its been a long two days of pumping basements.

...the LGS had one of those .308's in a couple years ago, it was "factory", but apparently one of Savage's first forays into the LE/ Tactical market...

Nicely done ROVERT!

I know that the Savage 10 PC comes w a 20" bbl and someone sure coulda stuck it in the choate stock. Though now that I look at it, mine has the smooth barrel nut and I see yours has the grooves.

This is a model 12 according to the barrel. I should also mention that the barrel is stainless (I painted it black a while ago) and the action is blued. I know the Choate was added as it came with the original stock as well, which is black/syn/pillar bedded.

Glad to hear its shooting well, if in the future you want to try A different caliber I would look at the 6.5x47 or 260rem offerings for the savage. I have a savage with a 308 and 6.5x47 barrel set, I don't shoot the 308 much anymore. The 308 shoots just like your experiencing but the 6.5x47 tacks on another 300 yards of consistency.

Back