part. vs. gold

grizz007

Beginner
Oct 3, 2005
hello, I believe this may be my first thread and would like to hear from you Nosler fans. I hunt often enough yearly here in Alaska and you can imagine the game that I ecounter that require a bullet to perform flawlessly. I have used the opposite of the NP and that is the world acclaimed Swift A's in mainly my big game rifles. I read the Nosler Manual and the Partition Gold has my interest, moly free of course. I have used Partitions in my various .338's and .30 cal's years back and changed over to the Barnes and the Swifts. Tell me what is with the Partition Gold and why is it I do not see them around--seems like a denser or tougher bullet than t he standard Partition. Are these bullets available and what experiences and successes you have had with them.

I am sure Nosler will chime in on this, but the simplest explanation can be found in the latest Nosler Reloading Manual (#5). Very good sectioned pictures of all their bullets except the new AccuBond. Along with the pcitures are very good descriptions of the bullets and their features. Also an excellant article on which Nosler bullet to shoot when written by Lane Simpson.

Briefly, the Partition Gold is indeed a "tougher" bullet than the standard Partition. It has a thicker Partition, a thicker jacket, and the same Winchester patented steel cup in the rear that is found in the Fail Safe. This leads to better penetration than the standard Parition, though I have never found that lacking.

My stepson shoots the 150 grain Partition Gold in factory ammo in his .270 Winchester. Last fall he shot a cow elk in Oregon and the bullet went clear through and killed another cow standing behind the one he shot at. This year his son used the same rifle to kill anothe big cow elk and the bullet was again a complete pass through.

A couple of friends used the 180 grain versions in a 300 WSM in New Mexico on elk and had good results as well.

I use the standard Nosler Partition and have been well served by it. However, if I were to hunt something like a grizzly or brown bear I think the Partition Gold would be my choice.

Again, I am sure Nosler will give you some info here, but that is what I know about them.

heres my take, ive shot them in a 7 mm stw moly coated 160 grains, and i don''t believe in the so called moly hex. shot em at targets grouped great, loaded em for big Game never got a shot, but the way they shot i''d take them any where any time, with people fussing about moly nosler droped the moly coating, no matter shot un coated! they retain 80% where the Partition retains 60% these are averages only, many people have used them in Africa and with great success .... there made in several weights and calibers, when loading them nosler warns about different interals so start lower and work up , they''ll be fine in Alaska ,your rifle is the deciding factor, almost forgot they the GOLDS shoot every bit as good as the regular partitions .....enough said... regards jjmp

them are good notes on the gold bullets. I have used NP and they worked in my field of hunting big game but lacked what I wanted to see perform. When I encounter moose the grizzlies are waiting for the dinner bell. When I call in late season them bears come running so that is the greatest of my interest - can I use them and perform like the Swifts and to you who have answered my call thanks! Now just have to find a good place to buy t hem at a reasonable price. My .30-338 is gonna be the test this coming spring.

Sorry to tell you Grizz700, but Nosler has dropped the CT Partitions for the AC. I was not happy to hear this. The 180 CT Partition shoots great in my WB 300.
:twisted:

rwest, is too bad--thanks. Guess I will order up some NF 200grainers-been wanting an excuse anyways.

Back