Partition or Accubond for moose

I have never hunted moose. From the few I've seen, I think the real question becomes "How close can I get the truck?" HUGE animals. I'd love to hunt 'em someday. With a truck nearby.

Guy

Guy, best way to describe the size is a horse :wink:!! Actually in my experience with them they go down quite easily but you will get that odd one that can take a lot of lead.
They normally do take some time retrieving just because of the shear size of the animal but the equipment now a days does make it somewhat easier. But we have had to quarter them out on a few occasions but it has been with a number of guys.

Blessings,
Dan

We quartered my bull with a knife and "moose saw" which was actually a small chain saw filled with olive oil. Even quartered, it's quite a load for a couple of quads. A moose head, neck & rack is huge.

...certainly not an 'expert', but I've shot a couple & helped out on a couple more. One thing you have to remember is everything on a moose is farther down than it looks. The spine in the neck is in the bottom third, same w/ the heart & plumbing. Center shooting a moose is like shooting a 55gal. drum, aim down off the 'arm joint' into the heart...

wildgene":2z51s7to said:
...certainly not an 'expert', but I've shot a couple & helped out on a couple more. One thing you have to remember is everything on a moose is farther down than it looks. The spine in the neck is in the bottom third, same w/ the heart & plumbing. Center shooting a moose is like shooting a 55gal. drum, aim down off the 'arm joint' into the heart...

True, dat. I've spined several moose when I thought I was going to take out the lung. It is definitely different.

Shot one at about 15 yds coming nearly straight at me. Hit him just below the point of the shoulder and missed the heart. The guide was happy as many Newfies consider the heart and liver the best parts.

Guy Miner":8krt7rc5 said:
I have never hunted moose. From the few I've seen, I think the real question becomes "How close can I get the truck?" HUGE animals. I'd love to hunt 'em someday. With a truck nearby.

Guy

That's right! The old guys used to say if you couldn't see the boat, you were too far away!

I've helped break down and pack out a bunch....one of the reasons I'm not a real enthusiastic moose hunter.

That, and the fact they generally pick the most unpleasant places possible to finally die....swamp, alder thicket, mud hole in the muskeg....or some combination of all three.

Oh, yeah, I'm pretty well finished with packing out moose (and elk, as far as that goes). Moose are shot, and immediately they realise they are dying. So, they look around to find the most inhospitable location imaginable. If there is a stream nearby, depend on them running to the middle where they will expire. If possible to wedge themselves between two (or ten) trees just to test your patience. Beaver ponds are a favourite location in which to expire. You haven't lived until standing in a beaver pond, stripped to your skivvies while the snow is falling, skinning a moose. Cursed beast! Can't wait to get mine this year. (y)

Cutting up a moose in several feet of water is no fun at all! Either is trying to quarter one on a steep hillside. Gravity can cause a build up of pressure causing the innerds to quickly become the outerds! I had a buddy who was dealing with his first moose on a steep hill. Being green he was trying to treat it like a whitetail and while trying to gut the moose he nicked the guts and gravity powered firehouse of yuckiness was his result!

I've gotten pretty good at disassembling them and as long as I can stay dry and reasonably level it's not such a bad thing. I'm of the take it slow with heavy pack mentality, making extra trips sucks!

I find a replaceable blade like a havalon piranta or barracuda combined with a Montana saw work very well. I've seen the vehicle oil chainsaws used before both electric and gas powered but it was too much of a mess and ruins a lot of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I saw for the first time last year was the use of battery powered sawsalls to cut pelvis, vertebrae etc. Not nearly as messy as a chain saw and much more portable.

Charlie-NY":1a2l9zoe said:
Something I saw for the first time last year was the use of battery powered sawsalls to cut pelvis, vertebrae etc. Not nearly as messy as a chain saw and much more portable.

I've used both a "meat saw" (chainsaw running olive oil) and a battery powered sawzall. The sawzall is way neater and less fuss...albeit way slower. Ok to have on a vehicle supported hunt. Packing one around would be out of the question though and with a Wyoming saw, isn't really needed.

That chainsaw left me never really wanting to do that again.

The Wyoming saw is quicker than a saws all and much cleaner than both. It's a MUST have whenever I'm hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back now.

Great to meet my friends and head into the woods for a week of bacon, coffee, single malt and a lot of hunting talk - what's not to like!

A shortage of dogs meant a greater dependence on stalking clear cuts. This was somewhat hampered by near biblical rain most days. After 4 days I managed to stalk to within 175yards of a yearling cow on a clearcut. The 165gr Partition entered the rear of her near shoulder and exited the front of the opposite shoulder. The cow made 80yards mainly downhill. Extraction was simple with the tracked moose machine. I didn't open the chest but could feel expansion had been good.

The rifle is a 30-06 1957 BRNO ZG47 f with Jim Wisner M70 style safety, Timney, Precise Metalsmithing rings, McMillan, Swarovski 1.5-6x42 and an ASE Utra compact suppressor. Parts are therefore from CZ, USA, Austria and Finland. The rifle spent 48years in Sweden before being imported by me to the UK in 2005 so it was fitting to shoot a moose with it.

20150920_073017 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/68424083@N07/, on Flickr

Excellent report! Fine young moose that will provide fine dining this year. Congratulations. I truly like what you've done with your rifle. (y)

Wow! Great stuff and excellent shooting!

Did it exit? Congrats on the moose!

Yup - it exited:

"The 165gr Partition entered the rear of her near shoulder and exited the front of the opposite shoulder"

Congrats on the moose! A .30-06 with a 165 grain Nosler Partition. Nice, classic combo. (y)

I like the international combination of rifle parts too.

Regards, Guy

Back