Partition or Accubond for moose

Beginner
Sep 18, 2006
I'm in the happy position of having two bullets to choose from for my forthcoming moosehunt.

The hunt is over a week, opportunities will mainly come from stalking clear cuts as well as driven hunting. In the past shots have ranged from 275yards down to 30yards. I've used 180gr partitions at 2,400fps and 165gr partitions at 2,500fps out of my 18" 308 with great success.

This year I'm using my 06. It shoots the 165gr Partition at 2,700fps and the 180gr AccuBond at 2,550fps. Both are accurate. Trajectory seems broadly the same, the AB drifts a little less and has a tiny bit more energy.

Which to use............

I have used both and would not hesitate to use either bullet for moose. Out of my '06, I'd likely lean toward the Partition at the slightly higher velocity, though the AccuBond will perform very well for you. Let us know about the hunt after you tag your animal. Is this a first moose hunt for you? We're all puling for you to be successful.

I used a 250gr AccuBond to drill through both shoulders of a large bull. Bang, flop as the saying goes. But then again that doesn't answer your question - my vote goes for the 180 AccuBond,
Good luck.

DrMike":1t7pb7yd said:
I have used both and would not hesitate to use either bullet for moose. Out of my '06, I'd likely lean toward the Partition at the slightly higher velocity, though the AccuBond will perform very well for you. Let us know about the hunt after you tag your animal. Is this a first moose hunt for you? We're all puling for you to be successful.

Thanks for the info and kind words. I'm lucky to be half Swedish and have access to some good hunting with friends (the best way to hunt). I've shot moose with 9.3x62 and then a little suppressed 308 with 180gr Partition, 168gr TTSX and 165gr Partition. I am not a TTSX fan based on my experience of their performance on 3 moose. The partitions have worked brilliantly.

This year we are doing more stalking and my little 18" 8lb suppressed 308 is staying at home. It did great with a 275yard bull on a clearcut with 180gr Partition starting out at 2,400fps but last year I took a very testing shot off sticks on a calf at 150yards and wished for a steadier outfit even though I made the shot.

Each year at the end we all shoot one shot from a cold barrel at a 300m moose target with no sighters or fiddling - we have killed the target each year but I know the range and am not excited or breathing hard. The 06 is heavier, steadier and a bit less critical on range estimation - no doubt I will see something at 20yards :grin:

I've shot five 3 shot groups over different days with quite strong winds with each bullet and superimposed the groups on one sheet of paper. The reduced lateral spread from the AB is noticeable. I'll try them at 250yards and make my decision at that point.

I wondered whether you would be hunting one of the Scandinavian countries. The 9.3X62 is a terrific cartridge. I have a 9.3X64 which I really enjoy. I've had excellent success with the 180 grain TSX from a 300 WSM. I've never had a bad experience with the newer Barnes bullets, but I've heard others speak of difficulties and disappointments. It does sound as if you are well prepared for the hunt. Without a doubt, the AccuBond is up to the job. And, yes, after all the preparation, the shot will likely be on an animal standing next to you. However, we always prepare for the worst case scenario.

1894, welcome to the site I am sure you are going to enjoy this place as there is a great amount of knowledge here along with a great sense of humour :wink:
I have used both the Partition & the AccuBond having very good success with both bullets. If your long shot will be around 275 yards or less I would go with the one with the most mass!!
The 30-60 is a very good calibre but to make it a great calibre I would neck it up to a 35 Whelen :lol:! I would also recommend you joining the family!!

Blessings,
Dan

We[come to the forum. I'd go with the 180 gr PT and not look back.

JD338

And a fine bull he is! Is that a suppressor on the rifle? Pity we can't use them here in Canada.

Dan! the poor fellow just got here don't go running him off till we see what else we can change I mean help him with. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
Oh by the way welcome and please excuse Dan but after the hunting season I would recommend sending the 30-06 to J.E.S. Rebore and have it punched to .358 and chambered to 35 Whelen Ackley Imp. (y)

1894 Thanks for the kind welcome. Here is the bull I took in 2012 with 180gr Partition.

That is a beautiful moose and an "outstanding" picture, the colors are beautiful. Again welcome to the forum, you will love it here.

Moose meets AccuBond

Moose_2014.JPG

Well I'll probably never get to hunt moose :cry: but I have taken a few elk. Love the .35 Whelen and 225 gr. Barnes TSX for that purpose but I did take my last elk on Jan 13 of this year with a 165 gr. Accubound from my 30-06. One shot at about 100 yards and a very dead elk. Might see how that rifle likes the 165 gr. Partitions. It's 1 in 12" twist hates any heavier bullets. :(
Probably try for another Dec 31 of this year with my .280 and a 150 gr. ABLR if I can get the darn things to group. Probably try then in the 7x57 as well. Good luck on the moose hunt.
Paul B.

Flip a coin.... you'll win either way!

I'm a big fan of both, in the '06 that 180gr "Protected Point" Partition would be the bee's knees.

Taking the 165gr partitions. The ABs shot a bit tighter but the partitions are a little flatter and I shot them better in field practice so my brain is a tiny bit more confident with them.

Back