Partition or Fail Safe?

Leo M

Beginner
Feb 5, 2005
I just found this board today and it should be enjoyable, I like the Nosler product. It's also kind of ironic due to my question that I found it today. I want a load strickly for moose in a 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet. I am kind of betwix and between, I don't know which one to start with. I know in the end it's the one that shoots the best, but I would like some opinions. Also I would like to drive this load as fast as I can and I lean towards the Fail Safe but am concerned with the steel core. Thanks for any help.

Not to confuse you further, but you also might want to consider the 180 gr or 200 gr AccuBond along with the Partition. I would not hesitate to use the 180 gr or 200 gr Accubonds or Partitions on anything you would care to shoot with a 30-06. I would just try them all and load up whichever shot the best in my particular rifle. I guess you could try the fail safe, too, but I would try the Noslers first, and then you would not need to waste the time, money and components on the fail safe. :wink:

No doubt someone actually employed by Nosler will respond to your question, but I believe the most important difference is that the Partition is farther to the front of the PT Gold which will give a bit better penetration than the standard Partition. There is also a steel thimble in the rear core which Winchester is fond of and also molybdenum disulfide if you so desire.

I have had good luck loading the 180 grain accubonds in my 30-06. They shoot more accurately than the Partition and performance is very similar if not better.

I spoke to our Ballistics Guru again on this question. He suggested the 200 gr AccuBond for your 30-06 Springfield. Of course the Partitions and Partition Gold would be good choices also. See what works the best in your rifle. Good luck and start low and work your way up.

Back