Partitions or Accubonds for Antelope?

Aug 2, 2005
Now that I have both 140 gr NPs and NABs shooting extremely well out of my 7MM STW behind 80gr of IMR 7828 out to 300yds...( 0.30")

Which would be the best choice for Wyo lopes...I don't have a Chrony but am pretty sure my 26" Remington bbl is cranking em over 3,200 fps.

At that speed is the Partition going to expand well?....Will Accubonds hold up at those speeds or destroy a lot of meat? Any experiences with these choices out there? :lol:

With that much horsepower you won't need as much trajectory advantage as the AccuBond will afford you, although they will probably work just great. The Partition will for sure open at any range you will be shooting because they are designed for .30-40 Craig on up velocities and will hold the rear section to punch through. The only fly in the ointment could be if you happen to get a close shot on the antelope, which is small, fragile animal. A Partition would protect you from a complete blow up. Either one will work great for your hunt. I chased antelope for 2 days at 500 plus yards without a shot and ended up walking up on one at about 60 yards over a ridge, so you never know. HAVE FUN AND POST PICTURES!! :) :)

I'll be using my 7STW for pronghorns soon too. I decided to go with a high BC bullet to help deal with the high winds that are likely.

I was originally considering the 160gr AccuBond but switched to the 162gr A-Max, which has a much higher BC and is more than enough bullet for the smallish antelope.

Just my 2 cents.

I will be hunting antelope in New Mexico in September with a STW shooting about 78 grs of RL 25 behind a 160 gr AB. I've taken roughly a dozen antelope with the RemMag with anything from a 120 gr SB to a 150 gr Partition. Again, it's all about placement. So, whatever your gun shoots well and you are most comfortable shooting combined with likely shooting conditions/ranges, is the round to go with. Here's my experience with BT's which I have posted elsewhere:

200 yd 150 gr BT loaded in RemMag broadside hitting nothing but ribs sent shrapnel throught the body cavity and into the backstraps. Oblong smallish exit wound that I found odd at the time. Dropped the animal in its tracks. Though sucessful, I wasn't exactly pleased.

Next year, 375 yd quartered toward me. Same load. Hit the clavical and essentially exploded sending shrapnel everywhere including three exit wounds through the ribs/skin. Again, dropped the animal. Again, not pleased.

Next year, 150 gr PT at 239 yds quartered toward me. Entered behind right shoulder. Transversed that animal. Recovered the bullet just underneath the skin at the rump. Weighed about 95 grs. No meat destruction and just as effective in dropping the animal.

Last year, elk with 160 gr AB loaded in front of 60 grs 4350. Perfect performance at about 250 yds.

Wind is often an issue on the plains so Charlie's point about BC is well taken. Still, I'd go with:

AB's
PT's
SB's

in that order. I would also recommend the 160 gr.

jd

You should be fine w/ the NAB. I have found they retain about the same weight as the NP & expand a bit more but penetrate a bit less. I took my last antelope w/ a 160grNP @ 3250fps from my 7mmDakota. The range was a bit over 100yds & the round was thru the shoulder. Bang, flop & you could eat up to the hole. This year I'm using my .280 & 140grNPs. I just trust them up close or out far.

This was my "planned load" when I first booked the trip. Funny thing is so far 140 NPs out of my 7MM STW Rem 700 BDL SS are out shooting the 140gr NABs my .280 Sako at 2-300yds.

But I am stubborn...I have tweaked my(.280) H 4831 SC load to 58.7gr with a 3.345 OAL (thats all the clip will allow). I got a 0.48" 200yd group (NABs)yesterday and am going back tomorrow. :lol:

Back