Patience - Right powder & 30-06 Can Shoot!!

52.0 IMR4064 w/ 150 BTSP Hornady Interlock is extremely accurate in my Browning BBR. 5 shot groups under half inch at 100 yds.

YoteSmoker":19e62zt9 said:
52.0 IMR4064 w/ 150 BTSP Hornady Interlock is extremely accurate in my Browning BBR. 5 shot groups under half inch at 100 yds.

That is extremely good, a five shot group under half an inch. Nice indeed.

Bullet, it seems like your 06 rifles like that 168 bthp gameking bullet pretty good. Have you had good luck with them on deer sized game? I have a bunch of those 150 bullets loaded up because they shoot so good and would be fine for antelope and deer with rib shots and they are fun to shoot.

YoteSmoker":1az3jnaf said:
Bullet, it seems like your 06 rifles like that 168 bthp gameking bullet pretty good. Have you had good luck with them on deer sized game? I have a bunch of those 150 bullets loaded up because they shoot so good and would be fine for antelope and deer with rib shots and they are fun to shoot.

I have shot the 165gr Game King HPBT (not the 168gr Match King) for years since the early to mid 1980's and they are as Guy Miner said, "a real sleeper". With the 165gr I have killed to date 34 white tail with this bullet and not sure on the number of hogs and lost count on the coyote since I started using this bullet.

Now the next statement can be hard to believe but I have never had an animal I hit with this bullet go anywhere and that includes a black bear I shot in Arizona with this bullet at 2950fps. Now I know the Lord knows what I am saying so I do not make these comments lightly. The only other bullet that does pretty much what this one has done for me is the 165gr Ballistic Tip.

The .284 160 grain HPBT is a fine bullet. I've only recently started working with it in my 7 mm WSM. It does shoot very fine, giving the 160 ABs a real run for the money in accuracy. I have some 165 HPBTs in 30 cal. I'll have to give them a try.

DrMike":yk1w0hno said:
The .284 160 grain HPBT is a fine bullet. I've only recently started working with it in my 7 mm WSM. It does shoot very fine, giving the 160 ABs a real run for the money in accuracy. I have some 165 HPBTs in 30 cal. I'll have to give them a try.

I use to use the 160gr HPBT in my Sendero 7mm mag and it was just as much a killer as the 165gr HPBT has been.

I will be going to the range again tomorrow as I continue to break-in my 06 and will also shoot the 358 a little. I think we have not seen the best from the 06, but .430" from and out of the box Ruger rifle that cost me less than 700.00 down here is in my book, very good.

Howdy! Again Yall! Mr. Bullet the 7mm prt does refer to y OTHER rifles. LOL! I own a Winchester Model 100 in .284 Winchestr, Ruger 77 Custom 7mm Rem Mag 26" Shilen barrel, Rem 700 ADL LA Custom .28 Winchester with a 24" Shilen barel, and a Ruger 77 MK II .243 Winchester. My 7mm's are very fond of 140 +150 Nosler Ballistic Tips. I shoot 139 HSST's in the custom 284 just below "Light Speed"LOL!. Shot CLEAN thru a 275lb boar hog's shoulders at 50yds and even exited.

I can't wait to try some of those 30-06 loads this weekend in my Rem 742. ill let yall know how it went! L8R!

tx7mm":17u15eqx said:
Howdy! Again Yall! Mr. Bullet the 7mm prt does refer to y OTHER rifles. LOL! I own a Winchester Model 100 in .284 Winchestr, Ruger 77 Custom 7mm Rem Mag 26" Shilen barrel, Rem 700 ADL LA Custom .28 Winchester with a 24" Shilen barel, and a Ruger 77 MK II .243 Winchester. My 7mm's are very fond of 140 +150 Nosler Ballistic Tips. I shoot 139 HSST's in the custom 284 just below "Light Speed"LOL!. Shot CLEAN thru a 275lb boar hog's shoulders at 50yds and even exited.

I can't wait to try some of those 30-06 loads this weekend in my Rem 742. ill let yall know how it went! L8R!

Cool!!! Looking forward to your results and load data, good luck shooting.

Howdy! Again, I didn't get to try any of those 30-06 loads yet. The weather cratered here this weekend. LOL! I did try a 150gr. Federal Fusion factoy load. It performed great with complete target penetration nose to tail at a range of 30 yds. :evil: NOTE: ALWAYS check the wind direction BEFORE you SHOOT a SKUNK! :shock: LOL! LUCKILY the wind was at my back! 8)
Will advise on the load results when I test them. L8R! tx7mm

Bullet I noticed that your seating depth was 3.180" isn't that awful shallow? I am new to relaoding and understand a little bit that different style bullets require different seating depths and that it will also depend on your throat? Just wondering not being critical only trying to learn?

thanks

ehunter":2e8g31dw said:
Bullet I noticed that your seating depth was 3.180" isn't that awful shallow? I am new to relaoding and understand a little bit that different style bullets require different seating depths and that it will also depend on your throat? Just wondering not being critical only trying to learn?

thanks

Sierra for their 165gr HPBT is 3.185" I gave it a little more jump, I have loaded this bullet at 3.179" in one 06 and all three holes would touch.

Ok thanks I may have to give them a try. I just suceeded in getting my 165 accubonds to touch in a 3 shot group so I am pumped. Had to play with the OAL for awhile but its working now.

ehunter":3v7oei3a said:
Ok thanks I may have to give them a try. I just suceeded in getting my 165 accubonds to touch in a 3 shot group so I am pumped. Had to play with the OAL for awhile but its working now.

Will be trying some 165gr accubonds tomorrow. Here is todays groups, 06 is getting better.

Three shot group 150gr silver tip bullet factory ammo
IMG_8254.jpg

three shot group 165gr Hornady spire point bullet
IMG_8252.jpg

Back