pick my bullet 257 wby

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
I am begining to loose sleep over this I know sounds silly. My gun will pretty much shoot anything and the only thing it didnt like was the 120 gr Partition bu tthat may have been my fault. And the Etip did not give me any velocity.

Anyway I am less than 11 weeks from opening day in Nevada Mulie hunt. I am leary of taking a 100 gr bullet but what does 10 more grains of lead do that the first 100 wont?

Bullets I am considering

110 gr AccuBond

110 gr interbond

100 gr scirocco 2

100 gr tsx or ttsx

100 gr Partition

100 gr ballistic tip

I am open to other suggestions I dont want to screw up this hunt.

One thing I keep thinking about is I could see myself for whatever reason I dont know why winding up taking a front shoulder shot which makes me want a Partition or tsx and makes me steer clear of the ballistic tip.

Should I be leary of the 100 gr BT traveling in excess of 3600 fps? I sure would like to use it so I can use them on song dogs too.

Or so I just need to go see a shrink!

Any of those bullet listed will do. Find one that will shoot well on your rifle and you're good to go.

If I were you, I'll go with a heavier bullet like the 115 grain Barnes TSX, or the Ballistic Tip or AccuBond.

I plan to use my 257Bee for pronghorns and have used the 100gr BT on them out of my 25-06. I was not all that happy with them and certainly would not use them on a bigeer animal(like your mule deer). I will not use them on pronghorns again.
I plan to use 115gr PAR bullets. IF I had to use 100gr bullets it would be PAR bullets. The 110gr bonded bullets would also be fine I believe. I have some AB bullets but if I had the Hornady Interbond bullets I would be happy also. Maybe more so......but that is just me. The Swift bullet would be good also if you use that weight.

I would use the 115gr PAR bullet myself.

nitis

From your list, I would pick the 110 gr AB first and the second choice would be the 100 gr PT.

IMHO, I would be looking at the 115 gr bullets.

JD338

Of the bullets listed I would shoot either the 100 grain Nosler Partition or the 100 grain Barnes TSX and never look back.

I used to shoot 100 grain Partitions in my 25-06 but had to switch to the 100 grain Barnes when the California "no-lead" law came into effect in this area. Both bullets have proven deadly in 25-06 and .257 Wby rifles weilded by myself and my buddies.

Heck, when Roy Weatherby made the .257 Wby so famous he was shooting 87 grain Hornadys. He killed all sorts of game with that gun.

My son is planning to use 115 Nosler Partitions in his .257 Weatherby for mule deer & black bear this fall. Getting good accuracy from them.

Over the past few years, I've taken five mule deer with my .25-06, using the 100 gr Barnes TSX twice, and the 115 Berger VLD three times. All the bullets worked well. The TSX is a far tougher bullet than the VLD, but both worked fine.

The more my son and I shoot these 115 Nosler Partitions out of his Weatherby, the more we like them... Out of your list, I'd try the 100 gr Partition, but would be open for trying a heavier bullet. The 115 Ballistic Tip has done well on mule deer and has an excellent reputation for accuracy.

Regards, Guy

Nosler Partition hands down!!! Followed by the AccuBond!!! Forget the Ballistic tip it will not hold up that well and forget the TSX because you will be tracking for a while unless you hit the spine of the mule deer. Don't feel like a loner, I could never get the standard velocity of the two calibers I tried the etip in either.

Nitis My dads 257Wby loves the 100gr TTSX. Last year in WY he took a few deer with it. All but one were DRT and the bullet preformed great. We are going back this year and he is loading the same bullet for mulies. I would say that or the 110 AccuBond and you will be fine.

I just bought a 257 Bee. I am looking at 110 AB and 115 PT's for my 257. I figure 3500 fps with the 110 AB and RL25 will rock on deer and goats.

POP":2ex8zz1j said:
I just bought a 257 Bee. I am looking at 110 AB and 115 PT's for my 257. I figure 3500 fps with the 110 AB and RL25 will rock on deer and goats.

ABSOLUTELY WILL!!!!! :lol: :lol:

AS already mentioned, the 115 gr PT is a great all around bullet. I have used it in my 257 Roberts with excellent results. They even work quite well on coyotes so you will not any any issues with them opening up at long range.

JD338

Go with the one that shoots in your rifle and the one that you have confidence in. They all kill and the new thing with the 257 bees is the 80 grain ttsx. This thing at 3850 kills like lightning. On deer size game, any of the above will work. As stated earlier, Mr. Weatherby made this caliber famous with a 87 grain projectile.... :grin: :grin:

GB300wm":fp3vo6fu said:
Go with the one that shoots in your rifle and the one that you have confidence in. They all kill and the new thing with the 257 bees is the 80 grain ttsx. This thing at 3850 kills like lightning. On deer size game, any of the above will work. As stated earlier, Mr. Weatherby made this caliber famous with a 87 grain projectile.... :grin: :grin:

I heard with that kind of speed the animal actually dies before you pull the trigger :lol: :lol: :lol:

"I heard with that kind of speed the animal actually dies before you pull the trigger Laughing Laughing Laughing"

And that's all the way out to 400 yards.... :grin: :grin:

GB300wm":26wjs9rh said:
"I heard with that kind of speed the animal actually dies before you pull the trigger Laughing Laughing Laughing"

I know, I have seen you shoot!!! :shock: You are good to 600yds

GB300wm":jgumbmnf said:

Would you believe he tried it out a cape Buff with that 87 gr bullet?

POP":qune0hqr said:
GB300wm":qune0hqr said:

Would you believe hetried it on a cape Buff with that 87 gr bullet?

Seems like I read that too, pop. Boy, you talk about having the right shot placement. This little round will surprise anyone that shoots it.:grin: :grin:

bullet":1fu9hv2a said:
GB300wm":1fu9hv2a said:

I know, I have seen you shoot!!! :shock: You are good to 600yds

Thank you bullet. This round really makes it easy though.... :grin: :grin:

I am really torn between 3 or 4 bullets I know the 110 AB and the 100 ttsx will shoot. I can only assume that the 100 gr scirocco 2 will shoot well also and with its higher bc and the ability to get at least 3600 out of it it flies flatter and hits harder than the heavier bullets like the 115 Partition or the AB or interbond. but I have not tried them and they come 100 to a box!

The TSX or TTSX still have yet to sell me on them. I can see that they would be great for breaking bone and shoulders but if I dont hit any bone with a small fast little pill might it just punch a hole right on through like a solid even if it opens up? The tsx has a better bc but I want to insure expansion so I will yse the ttsx if I choose barnes

I konw the AccuBond is supposed to mimic the Partition but I still would love to see a tipped Partition I hate getting the tips of partitions all buggered up.

As for the 80 grainer I am thinking of getting some for fun and to try in my 25.06 for california deer but I want a little more thump and reach for nevada. I want to be able to take a 500 yard shot if needed.

Back