POP, i need some help-405 win loads

jhunter1010

Beginner
Jul 19, 2009
i was wondering what the max loads for the 405 win would be in my tc encore, and what bullet weights are still available

The newest Hornady manual list some loads,that are a guideline.The 300 grain bullet is the most common,and Hornady offers two really good ones.They preform well on game.Woodleigh has some .411 dia 400 grain bullets available that you can use.Barnes offers some 300 grain .411 as well.
For powders,I have had excellent results with IMR 3031,H 4895, and Rel 7.
If you cast bullets,Lyman offers a mold for the .405 win.With high temp lubes you should be able to get 1800-2000fps.I had Hoch build me a gas check version of the old Lyman design.I can run it at around 2300fps.
The TC Encore is a very strong action,you can really load it up.Maybe POP will chime in and give us some quick loads. I too would be interested in that.
If you want specific loads, I will give you a couple of good ones that have worked well for me in various Model 95's.Try 52 grains of H 4895 and a 300 grain bullet. Also 49 grains of Rel 7 and a 300 grain bullet.You can work up to as much as 58 grains of H 4895, and 54 grains of Rel 7.For IMR 3031 try 55 or 56 grains .The first loads I mentioned are my favorite cast bullet loads.
The .405 win is a 105 year old sleeper.I can tell you from hunting with five different rifle in that caliber that it is hellbender of a round, just so you keep the range within 200 yds.When I hunt ,that is the caliber I use most of the time.It is a bullet casters dream gun.
If I could recommend just one powder to you for the .405 it would be Rel 7.It is fantastic for velocity and accuracy, and the pressure is lower than other powders.I have two of the new Model 95's that Winchester made in Japan. They are incredibly well made rifles.The barrels are excellent.The Japanese know they can do some machine work.

Back