Powders to have on hand

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Local farm&ranch is running 20% reloading supplies for the next week, so thinking of picking up a couple pounds of powder and primers. I just have h4831 and h4895 on the shelf for my rifles, what should I maybe add if its instock, and what type of primers do you like? I loaded for 243, 25-06, 260, and have dies for 30-06 but dont currently load for it.

The two you have are very good for what you are doing but if you want to add H 4350 and IMR 4451 immediately come to mind and can cover all the rounds you mention. Federal primers are great but I always gravitate as much as possible to CCI 200 and 250's, habit I guess since they work so well.

hodgeman":1r4mjsbs said:
4831, 4350, 4895... those are must haves.
+1
As for primers, I have standardized on Federal Gold Medal Match GM210M and GM215M

JD338

RL16 isn't a bad one either for the cartridges you listed.

I am a CCI primer guy. Haven't used much else in a long time.

Have always found 4350 and 4831 useful and good performing, whether in the IMR or H varieties.
Also getting good results with Re-19, 22, and am about to try 26.
I generally prefer Federal primers, but am leaning more towards their Match primers as I continue. Have also had good luck with Winchester primers. Have never tried the CCI's.

760 4831 4350

Mostly for me Varget, I don’t use it a lot but if I can’t get any other powder, almost every gun I have a load for varget can be found it seems like

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

Thanks guys, I'm hopefully going to check it out after work today and see what they have.

got out quick at lunch(forgot my list) and found a pound of h4350 on the back of the shelf, and some .243 nosler 90gr BT and AB on sale too. will hit it again this weekend when I have more time to look.

You do need one of the 4350s. I have learned that IMR and Accurate 4350 are pretty much interchangeable as to load data. I use both with the same data in my 25-06 and they shoot to the same point of impact and to within very close standard deviation on velocity.
As for primers I have and do use most brands because one primer will shoot better with a certain load than others. But I probably shoot more CCI than anything. I use quite a good number of CCI BR primers. If it came down to just being able to get one large rifle and one small rifle I guess it would be CCI 250 LR and CCI 450 SR and I could live happy.

bdbrown66":979fhwe9 said:
IMR 4064 is a very good, versatile powder that would serve you well.
I like 4064 in the 30:06 with 165 grain bullets. I think Varget is in the same neighborhood speed wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll go along with what several had said already. 4831, 4350, and 4895 will easily cover the cartridges you listed and do it well. 4064 as mentioned is also versatile and in some cartridge/ bullet weights is an excellent performing bridge powder between 4895 and 4350. There are some great powders out there and some probably better than the above list. But these are good powders, usually available, and not high $$$.

As for primers, I've never found a gun that will shoot that I couldn't get some really nice performance using CCI 200's in standard cartridges, so it's all I use to keep it simple. I suppose the same could be said for Winchester or RP, but I know what CCI does so that's what I stick with.

Alderman":3rxjiy5s said:
bdbrown66":3rxjiy5s said:
IMR 4064 is a very good, versatile powder that would serve you well.
I like 4064 in the 30:06 with 165 grain bullets. I think Varget is in the same neighborhood speed wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4064 and Varget are in the same neighborhood. I've used 4064 for everything from .22-250 to .243 to .30-06, with good to great results.

Back