Practical speeds with 7-08 and 150g Nosler AB LR

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
Hello folks, I am working with a mate who is looking to get into a short action rifle for medium range hunting, ie 400 to 600 yards.

I am not talking so much deer or such, more feral pigs on cultivation that can see you a mile off and bug out well before the gap can be closed to traditional distances.

Anyway.... He is thinking the 7-08 on a short action rifle - possibly a Rem700 on a 24 inch barrel. The question he/I have is can a bullet like the 150g Nos ABLR reasonably be expected to be safely driven to 3000fps or near to it?

To me it seems a bridge too far. But there are enough 7-08 owners urging him that its possible. I don't want to try to talk him out of it if I am on the wrong track. But really, how safe are those speeds in a case of the 7-08 Remington's capacity?

As a person with no experience with the 7-08, I have taken it as far as I can. But, what say ye all?

- Bob Nob

I should also add that the powders we can access include the ADI / Hodgdon Extreme line ie H4350 / H4831SC etc, Alliant powders and Winchester as well. Vihtavouri powders are intermittently available too.

I am thinking maybe the Alliant and Vihta double based powders would bring the highest speeds?

...a 7 WSM would do the job, but w/ the 7-08 your friend will probably end up coming up against a number of walls well before he hits his target MV of 3K, pressure, case fill, etc...

I agree with Gene. 2800 fps tops in the 7mm-08.

JD338

Were it me, for shots at that distance, I'd like the ability to give a larger charge. Gene is spot on in suggesting the 7WSM.

JD338":33xk0yea said:
I agree with Gene. 2800 fps tops in the 7mm-08.

JD338

I have to agree with the above. I don't think 3000 FPS is doable in a 7-08.
Paul B.

Its times like this I wonder why the 7wsm wound up the least popular of the wsms. Its the only wsm that holds as much powder as its counterpart. Gotta love the bc's and bullet selection over the 270wsm. You could have a short action easily downloaded to 708 performance yet lots of snot for longer range stuff.
I'd love to see a factory offer a nice lightwt rig w/tighter twist barrel for the longer bullets. Unfortunately the 7wsm will probably be the first wsm to die off.

...one good thing I've got to say about the LRH/ BoftheW/ etc. types is as interest in the 7 WSM starts to wane, one of them writes an article/ does a video touting "the overall excellent performance package" of manageable recoil, good ballistics/ SD of the 7 WSM & performs CPR on it...

Hmm I could never work out why the 7mm WSM was the weakest seller of those WSM rounds either.

I might suggest my friend try to pick up a second hand ABolt in 7mm WSM or even a 284 Win somewhere as he seems set on a short action and wants to try the 150g ABLR or if that doesn't work for him go for the 162g Amax.

The 7mm RSAUM seems out of the question in a factory rifle as they appear as rare as rocking horse sh!t here.

ScreaminEagle":wnnzkayg said:
Sounds like your friend needs a 280!
Yes or a 7mm Rem Mag. Seems he has got it in his head that the 7-08 can do it all.

I guess there's no such thing as a free lunch is there? If you want to reach out to 600 and still clout em with heavy hits, a long action, a fair bit of powder and a bit more recoil are the prices you pay.

I agree that 3000 fps is highly unlikey, and 2800 fps about normal. However, depending on skill and size of animal, I believe the 7-08/150 gr ABLR is capable. With a 1000 ft/lbs at 800 yds. is still well within the design envelope. Just more speed makes for less compensation with trajectory, and drift like any other bullet. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate the 7-08/150 combination on avg. hogs out to 600.

I can get a bit over 2700 with a 162 a-max in my 7mm-08 with RL17. I wouldn't have any hesitation to use that on hogs at 600 yards.

...yeah, there's the other side of the coin, 300fps more MV will get you maybe 200yds. more range (using my arbitrary cut-offs of 2000fps/ 1500ftlbs), so a bigger case will make it a lot easier to kill stuff a lot more deader. Honestly, the 7mm-08 w/ a well constructed 140-160gr bullet should be able to do the job out to 600yds, something faster would make it a little easier...

onesonek":2xltxwxq said:
I agree that 3000 fps is highly unlikey, and 2800 fps about normal. However, depending on skill and size of animal, I believe the 7-08/150 gr ABLR is capable. With a 1000 ft/lbs at 800 yds. is still well within the design envelope. Just more speed makes for less compensation with trajectory, and drift like any other bullet. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate the 7-08/150 combination on avg. hogs out to 600.

This! I don't think a pig will fuss to much over 200fps. The 7mm-08 is a very accurate round with little recoil. I have one any love it. They also will tolerate a much shorter barrel.
Steve

I just shot some 140 bergers with RL17. They were cooking well over 2900 fps. No pressure signs so far. I'm wondering if the short bearing surface is allowing more speed than most 140's, or if I'm just running them too hot. With a .51 BC, they should be a good pick for long range work...

Just a thought but have you considered the 280 AI?

JD338

I run 2940 with the 7mm Mauser and a 140 AB and RL17, but I think about 2850 or so would be about all you could get with a 150, but maybe a touch longer barrel might help it get to those speeds within rated pressure.

When the ABLR do hit this country I am going to see if I can get the 150g version shooting well in my 270 Win. If so I might loan it to my mate and see if that doesn't present him with a solution right there.

I can get 2975fps no probs with the 150g SST (in fact worked up an accurate load at 3025fps then backed it off 1.5g for extra safety) so much the same with the ABLR could be a solution.

Good point. The new 150 ABLR should breathe a little life back into the 270 Winchester. 150's at around 3000 should carry the mail really well with a .625 BC.

Back