Possibly upgrading the 7-08

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Instead of picking up a 308, I have a few feelers out there and am sitting on a quote for some work on my Montana 1999 7-08.

I am lining up a Manners stock; either the MCS-TA or T2A in GAP camo. The rifle currently has a B&C Medalist that I am not crazy about.

Sitting on a quote from Short Action Customs. As of right now:
Cerakote action and barrel
Trigger job
Install 20 MOA rail for optics
Bed action to stock
Tune trigger to a crisp 3 pounds

I figure instead of plunk the change down for the 308 just turn the 7-08 into what I want. Plan is to shoot 140's for game, 160s for targets. The Zeiss will stay for now until I can pick up the Steiner I have been eyeing.

This is just a proposed plan for now. It would run me about what I would pay for the FN SPR for everything listed...still have to sit on it a little more.

ajvigs":3b7vk5jd said:
Sitting on a quote from Short Action Customs. As of right now:
Cerakote action and barrel
Trigger job
Install 20 MOA rail for optics
Bed action to stock
Tune trigger to a crisp 3 pounds

I would pay to have the action and barrel CeraKote'd but I'd do the rest of it myself.
It might take more time but in the end you'll save a bundle and be very proud of your rifle. You'd be surprised at how few tools are needed for the work you have listed. But then I just like to work on my own guns as much as possible, sort of a hobby I guess.
I've wanted a 7mm08 almost since the cartridge was developed but never could find one in Lefthand when I was buying so my light rifle is a .308

I agree with dark horse. Do a lot of the work yourself. It's a lot easier than you may think.

I installed a Timney on my Montana and feel it was a nice upgrade to the modified factory trigger. Might want to look into that.

You might also want to consider upgrading the the rail base screws to the #8 thread if your rifle does not already have that.

Good luck on your build.

WM

Sounds like a good plan. The 7-08 is a great one for sure. Should be even better with your upgrades.

Back