Predator rifle suggestion

You guys are makin' this way too complicated.... Get a 250-3000 Savage and be done with it! :p :p :p (Sorry- couldnt resist... :) ) 75 Gr V-max's for dogs and 100 Gr BT's at 3000 fps for whatever you want up to deer. CL

gerry":39f6bgyj said:
I'm no expert on predators but wouldn't a 22-250 be more decisive than a 223 Rem? A 243 would definitely be devastating.

Yeah- the 22-250 is considerably more potent than a .223 but he's not shooting enough distance to warrant the extra "KaPOW". The ammo situation with .223 getting more scarce than hen's teeth is something to consider though but a few boxes of .223 goes further in a bolt gun than a self shucker. I spent a year not finding '06 or .308….but my "oddball" .300WSM was easy to feed anywhere and my locally unpopular .270 got quite a bit more popular as hunting season got near.

The nice thing about the .243 is the it's the perfect combo rifle…varmints and small deer in one package with reasonably popular ammunition and reasonably priced as well.

I like the 243 for coyotes and other varmints...blistering speed, great accuracy...and in a pinch, you can take big game with it.

Tikka T3 Lite in 223.
It is light, very handy. Quite a lively handling little rifle.
The trigger on mine is fantastic right out of the box.
And it's wickedly accurate.

The local Dick's sporting goods store does have stainless steel 700 ADLs in 243 for $399.00 though......
Almost bought one the other day to build a 260 off of.

If you can find a good used Ruger MKII or older Remington 700 in 6mm Remington, that makes a fine coyote rifle also. Won't break the bank to purchase one and it works well on coyotes, deer, and antelope.

I used a "heavy" 22-250 for many years the switched over to a, light rem .223. My last dog was killed with a .308 at 25 yards.

My first choice, as a truck rifle, would be the AR in 5.56/.223.
Since that is out I'd probably go with a 25-06 as I really like that round and have a rifle that shoots good with varmint bullets. I like the 22-250 but only if you're going to stretch it out. The .223 would serve well in a bolt rifle for that application I think given that your distance is short.
Both the .243 and 25-06 will give you a little more versatility and can be used on bigger game than a coyote. While some folks may use the .223 for deer I'm not much in favor of it. One handy truck rifle for the ranch/farm is the Ruger Gunsite Scout.
It has the shorter barrel that makes handling it in and around vehicles feasible. The only drawback is that it comes in .308 Winchester. The forward mounted optic would be handy in that situation I think and I say that as a person not liking the forward mounted optic and having a RGS in my safe collecting dust. My truck rifle is the AR after trying the Scout for a year.

Vince

hodgeman":23pw6lbo said:
Yeah- the 22-250 is considerably more potent than a .223 but he's not shooting enough distance to warrant the extra "KaPOW".

But song dogs usually drop at the shot when the 22-250 barks. ;)

JD338

I have a few predator rifles, my favorite pelt harvester is a 25-06 with the 90 grain Barnes banded solids. It isn't what you're looking for if the longest shots are under 100 yards though.

The most fun of my varmint guns is a 22 Hornet, but if you don't reload it is expensive to shoot. I'd probably go 17 HMR or 22 WMR for 'yotes under 100 yards.

First Vote would be the 270 as he already has it and you can't punch too large of a hole in a coyote

Second: 243 as it's a very versatile caliber will reach out and also take groundhogs-deer with ease

third: 22-250 if he wants a varmint/predator specific rifle or 223 if you can find the ammo more readily but local stores have generally had more 22-250 vs 223

Considering the fact the average shot will be under 150 yards the .223 will be more than enough gun in that scenario. The CZ 527 varmint synthetic is a great commercial offering and will fit your application well.

He's already got a good .270 Win?

It's a perfect coyote rifle and will give him more field/hunting time with his deer rifle. Why not?

My 'yotes are shot with whatever I've got in hand at the moment from .204 Ruger up through the full size .30 cals so far. Simply because I haven't shot one with the .375 H&H yet. Someday that will happen.

Coyotes are a great excuse for carrying and using his .270 some more. I wouldn't even bother changing from whatever load works well on deer.

FWIW, Guy

BK":1b4p4q4f said:
Didn't Elmer say that a .270 was a damn fine coyote gun?

That he did and I agree.
Heck my varmint rifle is my .338 Win Mag right now because it's the one I'm working with right now. :grin:

NIB Weatherby Mark V SVM 22-250 over on the Nation not sure why he wants to trade or sell I think he is making a mistake myself ? :oops: would be less varmints running around for sure and with a 1-14 twist it will shoot the 45,50 &55 gr rounds smoking hot !!

I don't think it would be easy to make a bad choice of caliber as long as a little thought is put into it. A .223 should be perfectly sufficient, maybe even a .204, but anything from .243 to .260 makes sense also.

First deside on the type of rifle AR or bolt action.

For the AR a 223rem or 6.8mm SP would be great.
For a bolt action 223rem, 6mmX47, or the likes. Any thing from 221rem to 243 would work fine. Even the 22 Hornet will work for 100 yards shots but its limited.

Check out the CZ527 rifles sweet mirco sized actions and very accurate.
(22hornet,221Rem,222Rem,223Rem). An AR with a red dot or 1-4 power scope would work for fast shots at moving yotes.

I would love to build a 6mmx47mm lapua for coyotes. Or a AR with a red dot to add to my scoped bolt actions (221&223rem's)

Back