Primers on 280AI

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Got a minor issue with my new toy primers aren't coming out as I expected. Looking for inputs and advice. I think its the firing pin myself. I called Jim last night and we talked a bit and he's leaning to that or the cup being a touch soft. Just looking for more opinions. It is shooting smooth no sticky bolt or anything and I'm well under book max at this point.

Attachments

• DSCF0018.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,407
  • DSCF0019.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,407
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,407
I have factory firings pin doing the same thing in two of my rifles. I took one and filed and then sanded the end slightly and it made it better but didn't totally fix it. You can see the point of the firing pin is too sharp on mine. Remington QC at it's finest.

Jake,

I really don't see this as a problem. I see what you are saying, but I don't believe you are in any danger of piercing the primer. If you see the same impact marking with the steel cup of a CCI or Federal, then you will know that the firing pin spring may be a bit stiff, or the pin itself is overly sharp. On the other hand, it is possible that you are looking at a metallurgy issue as the brass cup of the Winchester and/or Remington primers tends to be exceptionally soft at times. This seems especially true with the Remington primers in my experience.

DrMike":avrgdp79 said:
Jake,

I really don't see this as a problem. I see what you are saying, but I don't believe you are in any danger of piercing the primer. If you see the same impact marking with the steel cup of a CCI or Federal, then you will know that the firing pin spring may be a bit stiff, or the pin itself is overly sharp. On the other hand, it is possible that you are looking at a metallurgy issue as the brass cup of the Winchester and/or Remington primers tends to be exceptionally soft at times. This seems especially true with the Remington primers in my experience.

I am with Mike/Jim and the rest on this. Primers are an indicator, but not always the best till you are very warm. My Remingtons seem to wallow out indentations on the primers. Hasn't really been an issue, but they just don't look the best sometimes.

I've had similar cratering on loads that weren't near book max while other loads in the same rifle with much higher pressure loads looked normal. Your primers don't look flattened whatsoever and I don't see any swiping on the head.
Your firing pin doesn't look like it's too sharp either.

If these were real mild, maybe your case isn't expanding enough to grab your chamber wall and your brass is pushing back against the firing pin before it can retract fully??

:?

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Especially if there are no other indications of trouble with the load.

Velocity good, about as expected?

Accuracy good?

Case life good?

I'd be happy. Let the primers look how they want to look, wrinkly faced little devils.

Guy

I get cratered primers on a couple of my rifles. They do not indicate high pressure and do not seem to affect the accuracy of the load. Both my Model 70, .270 Win and my Weatherby Mark V, .340 Bee crater primers somewhat. I just switched both to a diet of Match primers and got better accuracy in both, which is good enough for me. I think that the fring pin clearance hole may be a little oversized on both of these rifles but have never had any goofy pressures issues with either one of them.

Thanks for your opinions. I got some CCI and some REM primers to try to see if it fixes the issue and then maybe increasing pressure cause I don't see any signs and the 1st 10 are under book min.

Shot the rifles with CCI and REM primers same results went up to .5 grain over book max on the 120 BT and 140 AB no change. I guess the good thing about it is she's shooting pretty well 3 shot groups under 1" with 3 different powder charges. So I can't complain. Will probably start looking on midway for a speedlock firing pin assembaly.

It could also be a enlarged firing pin hole in the bolt. I'm betting It's the pin though. I've shot the same primers for years, I bought 30k CCI's a few years back, and it only does it in the 2 rifles.

IdahoCTD":3chgw9dz said:
It could also be a enlarged firing pin hole in the bolt. I'm betting It's the pin though. I've shot the same primers for years, I bought 30k CCI's a few years back, and it only does it in the 2 rifles.

Yeah Nathan its the first rifle I've ever seen do this took it up and still everything is identical. I loaded my AI rounds then with the same tray of primers loaded my 6-284 90AB test rounds that's the only two things that make sense to me so I'll just order a speedlock spring and pin and a takedown tool and go from there. I could probably leave it but it will make me feel better.

View attachment IMAG0143.jpgGot the barrel break-in done this morning with my pressure test loads my last 3 160AB printed a .489 group with charges of 61, 61.5, 62 grains of 7828 SSC. Cleaned it up and finished up with 2 5-shot strings of 175 PT. It is making all the time and waiting worth while. The first fouler landed low left, 2nd shot 1st group is dead center. 3rd and 4th were touching and I pulled the 5th in the first string way out to the right. Cleaned again fouler landed with first fouler next 3 were with shots 3 & 4 in first string and the 5 I pulled really bad way off to the left. That was with 10 different charges of 7828. I'm just very pleased with how things are working out. Maybe in a week and a half I can show some bugholes. And a few finalized loads. Including a final on the 6-284 90AB.

Attachments

• IMAG0144.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,274
It's a skookum cartridge and your rifle is living up to expectations.

Jake,

You are thee buddy. Way to go!
That is a great all around rifle and loads(s) for NA big game hunting.

JD338

Got the new firing pin today got it put it this evening hopefully gonna get a few loaded tomorrow morning or tomorrow night to see if it cures my issue.

I agree with the others. Primers can do some odd things. I've seen them indented like this before. By the way were those Remington primers? I've also seen primers of the same brand, same load, same brass, same bullet flatten out like a pancake because they metal in them was too soft. A new batch with everything the same did not act like those did. You would have sworn by looking at them that the load was too hot. Metal can do some strange stuff sometimes.

Good on you for the new firing pin. They say those are supposed to improve the firing pin strike time also which could also help maybe just a bit in the accuracy department. When you ordered it, did you also get one of those tools we talked about to help make it simpler to get the spring compressed and the firing pin assembly removed? I sure am glad I got one. I know I'll disassemble and clean the springs and the inside of the bolts more frequently as it was such a pain in the arse before! Let us know what it does for you.

Those are winchester primers David. Shot it tonight 5 rounds over 62 gr of 7828SSC and a 160 AB. Same results. The primers look the exactly the same as before I changed out the firing pin. Fouler was a little low next 3 were 2 in 1 out in under .75inches and the 5th one I pulled low and left in very low light conditions. May try it again tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMAG0149.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 849
Jake, that looks great buddy. I think you are very close there buddy. Let the primers be the way they want! If it is shooting well, no need to sweat it. Return the new pin and buy another box of AB's!

Back