PROBLEMS SHOOTING WITH EYGLASSES!!!!!!!!!!

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Due to my 44 years of age I require regular glasses and reading glasses. I have a pair of prescription glasses a pair of reading glasses and a set with transition lenses (from regular to reading with out the line in the middle) and a pair of traditional bifocals from the USAF.

The problem I am facing is for some reason I can not focus on the target at 100- 200 etc and the reticle. The only thing that seems to help is a 14 power or more scope.

CAN SOME ONE WITH AN IDENTICAL PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME?

Fotis,

Maybe contacts would help. :idea:

JD338

Maybe but can not see how............

I just had a thought......

Maybe its the bifocal lens due to head position and cheek weld. You might need just a regular lens for shooting.
I need to make an eye dr appointment. I turned 50 and now my arms are almost too short to read!

JD338

Fotis,

I wear rather strong glasses for shooting and routine work. I need special mono-focal length glasses for working at the computer. For me, the progressive bifocals work best for shooting at the bench. It doesn't sound as if your situation is as advanced. Have you tried shooting at the bench without your glasses? For some people that seems to work very well.

Pop, Sucks being old. I can't believe I just turned 52 myself. Go see an eye Doctor. I have the same problem. I fought so hard not to use my prescription glasses for a long time when shooting but I can't get the reticle focus sharply anymore without my glasses. Worst yet, the reticle seems vibrating like a banjo string. I went and got me the biggest frame I can get and slapped a prescription lens into it. That help somewhat but not quite as good as when my eyes were normal. Also learned to shoot with both eyes open. It reduced eye strain.

Also learned to shoot with both eyes open. It reduced eye strain.

Excellent point. I've worn glasses since I was eight, and I hardly think about the fact that I keep both eyes open. It does help immensely.

Pop, I have been shooting with glasses for over 50 years and have had little problem seeing through rifle scopes.

I imagine you just need to focus the eyepiece on your scopes to the new glasses.

I was terribly near sighted all my life until last year when I had cataract surgery. After the surgery I had wonderfull distance vision, but needed reading glasses. I had some progressive prescription glasses made and all is well. (The cataract surgery was a wonderfull deal.)

The first time I looked in one of my rifle scopes I thought "what the hell have I done?" I could not see anything clearly. I just had to focus the eyepiece on the scope and I could see the reticle and the target quite well.

Mess around with focusing the scope till the reticle is clear, the rest should take care of itself.

Having said that, I have needed some sort of an AO on all scopes over 10 power for a long time now. Even the best brands of scopes in the 4-12 range that do not have an AO or side focus are useless to me.

Pop how about this thought? I started wearing glasses when I was 8 years old and was nearsighted as a bat. I had Lasik eye surgery 8 years ago. I am now 49 years old and my vision remains at 20-20. Because I am getting older I SOMETIMES BUT NOT ALWAYS have to wear reading glasses when I read. It's more dependent on the print and if my eyes are tired more than anything, but sometimes they do help.

I had the Lasik surgery done up in Calgary Alberta as they had been doing it for years and this was one of the founders of this procedure. Now that has changed, and the information is shared all over the place, and many places can do this surgery now and do it very well. At the time, it was cheaper in Canada to have it done as well. We went up with the camper and stayed at a KOA with my folks who brought their camper too. I did my surgery one day, my wife the next. We went back for our checkups, and a few days later, I drove home w/o having to wear my contacts! I can wake up in the morning now and see the alarm clock without having to put my face 6 inches away from it.

This might be a choice for you Pop. I think it might be worth looking into. You will probably still have to wear reading glasses, but I don't mind doing that. I never take my reading glasses to work, and working on the computer is no problem. :idea: :idea: :idea: :grin:

I have the same problem.
I have more problems with open sights. I have a hard time seeing the rear sight . It's just too close. Recently I became left eye dominate. :twisted:
You could try re-focusing your eye peice to make the cross hairs sharper and the target out of focus. :?:

The Lasik surgery is not for everyone. My son had it done, but when I asked they said I was too old! They will only do the surgery if your eye has the oblong shape like a football as the other way does not work! Good luck, maybe you will be a perfect candidate as was my son!

Man are we a bunch of middle aged farts..... Great topic. I too suffer this afffliction... Been wearing glasses since about 73. Tried contacts back in the late 70's, looking like I was perpetually stoned and they did bug the heck outta my eyes... Gave it up, but it took me till the 80's to quit lookin stoned.... :shock: :lol: :lol:

So now here I am, 45 and am at the crossroads of bifocals too.. But my bigger issue is shooting prone. Todays style glasses don give a guy a good lense size/design to see thru the scope without looking over the top of the lense. So I started looking at shooting specific glasses, Decots, Rangers, etc.. But they are spendy. So I thought I'd contacts again and currently have worn them for two days, they bug me. Gonna go shooting this Monday and se if there is an improvement. But am expecting to ending with scrip shooting glasses.. They are nice..

Rod

Man, you guys are makin me depressed. Im in the same boat. 47 and eyes are changing.... Dont want to buy new specs but may not have a choice.
Find us an answer,,,,,

Funny story- Couple years ago while still shootinng through a Bushnell, at the range one hot summer afternoon, things start getting blurry. Try to refocus, moving head around, pull the caps and rap on it (hey when all else fails use a hammer right?) Start cussing too my buddy about how I need a Luey etc. Then my buddy says, "ya might want to try wiping off your glasses before you go tearin' that scope off.....!?!? Sweat running down the inside of the lens :oops: :lol: Honestly. I still take some ribbing for that one. CL

Ok. Pop wrote it up but I been digging on the subject for awhile also.

Thought I'd try contacts, had em for a week, they suck for me. Went shooting with them today and it seemed I did not have the resolution I was hoping for. The whole time I wore em, I did not have the same resolution/clairity as I would with glasses.

Well, just picked up new daily glasses and while there, asked the optomitrist if it was just me or is it the contacts that just dont seem as sharp as real lenses. Doc said that yep, thats just the way contacts are, they are not as clear as a lense can be. Due to a bunch of reasons, why I forgot as I heard what I needed to hear.

So, after alot of research and surfing I am gonna order a set of Rx Decot Hy-Wyd's from Decot. And what is the big difference tween these and regular glasses? The positioning of the focal point for shooting postions. Typical daily glasses are ground with the focal pt positioned for the std position of standing straight up and looking straight out. When shooting prone or hunched over a bench, it dont cut it.

So gonna get some shooting shades and will eventually report my findings.. Hope this helps Pop..

Rod

This is what I figured out. All the scopes that I ever owned (mostly leupolds) have always had the sharpest image of the recticle when the rear ocular was screwed all the way in. That always gave me the best resolution.

I looked at the leupy 3x9 compact again last night and guess what. Cross-hair was blurry! WTF????? :shock:

Well I backed her out 1/2 way and the reticle became a lot sharper. Now all this happened at night in my poorly lit basement so I do not know if I found the problem. We will see though!

An oft over looked adjustment, the ocular focus ring.

Hope that fixes it for ya? Cheaper than glasses..

Rod

POP":2fx9ak92 said:
This is what I figured out. All the scopes that I ever owned (mostly leupolds) have always had the sharpest image of the recticle when the rear ocular was screwed all the way in. That always gave me the best resolution.

I looked at the leupy 3x9 compact again last night and guess what. Cross-hair was blurry! WTF????? :shock:

Well I backed her out 1/2 way and the reticle became a lot sharper. Now all this happened at night in my poorly lit basement so I do not know if I found the problem. We will see though!

I have the same problem with binoculars. I have to focus each eye before I get a good picture. The worst part is my eyes seem to change on a daily basis. :evil:

I have the Decot HiWyd shooting glasses as well, also a set of Sunbusters prescription glasses. I am 67 now, and have been shooting with glasses for about 50 years. The best approach is to work with a doctor who knows shooting and shooters, and can recommend what you need for your eyes.

I have always worried about lasers and eyes, so never tried it.

I focus my scopes with my glasses on, and make sure that the focus yields a sharp and clear reticle. After that I am good to go. Same with binos and spotters, I focus them with glasses on.

jim

Pop
I have the same issues. I wear contacts and they are for long distance clarity. I use reading glasses in conjunction with the contacts for reading and up close viewing. I fought getting contacts for years and now I wish I had switched to them years ago. I only wear glasses to read and shoot now.
My contacts are plenty clear for long range thru the scope and I just wear shooting glasses for safety and yellow brightness advantage. My adjustible objectives are all set for normal with contacts and of course the oculars are set to focused cross hairs. I have had no problem with this system and the contacts don't fog up like glasses when I'm hunting in the cold.
For open sight shooting it's a little less perfect. I use low power reading glasses about a 1 to 1.25 magnification and that allows me to see the sights perfectly and just barely blurs the target. I've found that clear sight focus is the key to the best accuracy. I can still see the target plenty good enough to aim at center but if the sights are fuzzy accuracy will be greatly reduced.
I'm sure you'll come up with what works best for you with a little trial and error.
Good Luck
Greg

Back