PROBLEMS SHOOTING WITH EYGLASSES!!!!!!!!!!

I have bifocals and have never had a problem,but mine are line bifocals.Are yours the progressive type?I tried that type once and didn't like them at all.Your head has to be positioned just right are you cannot see worth a darn.
The line bifocals are the closest thing you can get to single vision and I really don't notice the line that much when I switch from regular vision to bifocal.

Oh, I just found this post. Been wearing bi-focals since I was 38. At 60 I think I can say I,m finally used to them. Pop I do something simular to what R Flowers said. For targets I adjust the focus on the target and not the reticle. The reason for that is so I can easily see the bullet holes. The reticle seems to take care of its self. For targets I usually put the scope on 9 power. The only problem with adjusting the scope to your bad eye without glasses is ya cant find your ammo sitting on the bench right next to you. :lol: :p

Hubcap,

I've learned to hunt by braille. The bifocals certainly introduce a new excitement into shooting, to say nothing of hunting.

Know what you mean Dr. Mike. In time bifocal users get really good at the following when hunting. When its raining be prepared to dry your glasses ever 5 minutes. When its really cold be ready to wipe down those fogged up glasses. When you want to take a peak in those binocs be prepared to remove your glasses an attempt to put them in your pocket without dropping them to the ground. No need for a range finder since they would just add to your problems. Oh yea, allmost forgot. You might find out you will need new 300 dollar glasses every two years. Obviously you cannot afford that expensive range finder anyhow. :lol:

One quick tip,

A scope with the retical in the first focal plane is easier for me to shoot. The crosshairs seem to grow and shrink with the magnification, but they also are easier to keep in focus.

hardpan.

BTW< I may change to all first focal plane reticals depending on the cost.

I've learned to hunt by braille. The bifocals certainly introduce a new excitement into shooting, to say nothing of hunting.

Know what you mean Dr. Mike. In time bifocal users get really good at the following when hunting. When its raining be prepared to dry your glasses ever 5 minutes. When its really cold be ready to wipe down those fogged up glasses. When you want to take a peak in those binocs be prepared to remove your glasses an attempt to put them in your pocket without dropping them to the ground. No need for a range finder since they would just add to your problems. Oh yea, allmost forgot. You might find out you will need new 300 dollar glasses every two years. Obviously you cannot afford that expensive range finder anyhow.

I think you both covered it well. I am not at the braille level yet but I have left them on a rock, the hood of the truck, and various other places that make them hard to find. My eyes are just bad enough to need them but I can still function without them, so when sweating I put them into my pocket (hopefully) then when I need them hopefully they are there. They are a blessing however can be a curse also. :grin: :grin:

You might find out you will need new 300 dollar glasses every two years.

My glasses haven't been that cheap for a long time! I just bought a new pair of sunglasses for the field and new lenses in my regular glasses, and the bill was near $1100. And I must still hunt by braille! My wife did say that she may just pick up her glasses in the States when visiting family from now on.

I have posted about this in the past.

My eye-glasses Dr. has a daughter that is a target shooter. He knows glasses.

I have frames that I like, so I have him write the perscription for new lenses. Cheaper this way.

I have him design the lenses so that the bifocal/reading area is in the very bottom of the glass. Then he gets my long-distance focus area in the middle-half and up. That way if I tilt my head, I'm still in focus. I use this one pair of glasses for both open sights and scopes.

Alot of things change as we age. I'm 74 now, and shooting some of my best scores ever.

Jim

kodiak,
I missed this before, or don't remember it. Your idea is very interesting. Couple of questions.
1) how much the total glass is reading?
2) Where do you buy the glasses?

thanks!
Hardpan

Hardpan you can change segment height of the reading panel at you Optomitrist's when you order the glasses, just tell them it is for computer use. Just a thought.

Back