Proper shot group measurement ??

270fan

Beginner
Dec 25, 2006
How should shot groups be measured ..... is it center of hole to center of hole? Thanks.

270fan":3q2r1wnl said:
How should shot groups be measured ..... is it center of hole to center of hole? Thanks.

Measure the overall outside edges of your group, then subtract the bullet diameter, and that will give you the center to center grouping.

mag41vance":p25f34ub said:
270fan":p25f34ub said:

Measure the overall outside edges of your group, then subtract the bullet diameter, and that will give you the center to center grouping.

Exactly!
Thanks mag41vance.

JD338

Thanks fellas. Thought that was right. Now.... if I can just put them all in one hole I won't have to do any measuring.

So If for example of my group measures .750 largest edge to edge I would then subtract .284 for a 7mm, which would result in a group size of .466. Correct?

phutch30":t2pu0xb3 said:
So If for example of my group measures .750 largest edge to edge I would then subtract .284 for a 7mm, which would result in a group size of .466. Correct?

Yep.

I've always measured center-to-center as well and have been short-changing myself too. I've found that it actually takes about .015 off your group measuring outside-to-outside & subtracting bullet diameter. I guess that's pretty reasonable (& more accurate) seeing as locating the "true" center of the hole is usually best guess.

USMCDM24":1pqaqg9p said:
I've always measured center-to-center as well and have been short-changing myself too. I've found that it actually takes about .015 off your group measuring outside-to-outside & subtracting bullet diameter. I guess that's pretty reasonable (& more accurate) seeing as locating the "true" center of the hole is usually best guess.

Right on!

How can measuring from outer edge to outer edge and subtracting the bullet diameter be more accurate than measuring center of hole to center of hole? Doesn't make sense to me. Thanks. ABC

270fan":3hij7lx6 said:
How can measuring from outer edge to outer edge and subtracting the bullet diameter be more accurate than measuring center of hole to center of hole? Doesn't make sense to me. Thanks. ABC
How do you precisely find the center of the bullet hole ?

Back