Proud Father

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I think I was 8 years old when I killed my first critter, a robin that I shot out of a tree with my BB gun. Thankfully my folks didn’t make me eat it.

Deer season this year was supposed to showcase my wife getting her first buck. For many different reasons, that did not come to pass. Just before dark however, my son spotted a rabbit in the brush near the pickup. He wanted to shoot it. Luckily I had my Marlin 39A in the back seat. Helping him aim, I told him to squeeze the trigger when he was ready. Pop. Dead rabbit, shot through the head.

An otherwise disappointing curtain to the most dismal deer season I have ever seen became a triumphant event in my 5-year old son’s life, his first kill. After taking pictures we dressed the rabbit and took it home. On the way there we swung by Grandma and Grandpa’s house so he could share the story of his first hunt with them. They were elated, all of us were/are proud of young Andy. He did it right!

Looks like its rabbit for dinner tomorrow night!

Attachments

• IMG_8662.jpeg
    IMG_8662.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 13
First kill can be such a meaningful event. It is even more meaningful when it is an ethical kill. You guided your son with wisdom and expertise, living what you are now teaching him. Congratulations to you, Dad, and to Andy.

Back