Pump guns don't shoot.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Got a buddies 760 Remington here that I was working on for him because it had some problems and wasn't shooting. Once I got all that ironed out I loaded up the favorite load I use in my Model 7 and have tested it a few times since and it's shown it wants to shoot.

Was almost out of powder so I wanted to wait until I got a new can before I loaded a bunch up for him just in case things were off a bit with a different lot of powder.

Loaded up 3 today with the new can of powder to double check it. Cold bore from 100 yds. Not bad at all for a 43 yr old used and abused pump gun. I was aiming at that black tip, or trying to. This thing has a Leupold Rifleman scope on it, and lets just say I'm not a fan.

I put this load on here before but anybody's welcome to try it if they want. Works real well in 2 completely different 6mm's I've run it through. Sierra 85 gr HPBT, Remington brass, CCI 200 primers, 47.5 gr's of IMR 4831. Top load but no pressure signs in either gun.

I’ve never had a 760/7600 that didn’t shoot well. I’ve heard about them, but just got lucky I guess.

Have shot a friend's in 35 Whelen, and with it's preferred load (Remington 200gr Corelokt) it would shoot MOA or better.
Great brush rifle for bears, moose and elk!

Yes, I'd say that the rifle/load combination will serve your friend well. You've done yeoman service for him.

coop22250":j4p4atob said:
I’ve never had a 760/7600 that didn’t shoot well. I’ve heard about them, but just got lucky I guess.

If you think about it, provided the chamber and barrel are straight, and nothing else is interfering with accuracy, they're pretty much designed to shoot well, and most will with some tuning.

Biggest fault I have with them is the wide range of trigger functions. They range from okay, to horrible. But they all can be much improved with some old fashioned hand work.

DrMike":j4p4atob said:
Yes, I'd say that the rifle/load combination will serve your friend well. You've done yeoman service for him.

Thanks, always an extra bit of satisfaction when a rifle comes around. As I know you're well aware, they all don't. This rifle used to shoot well according to the owner, then went to garbage. Finding a few problems to take care of and then feeding it decent reloads brought it back to life. Satisfying endeavor when it works out for sure.

ShadeTree":3pft2sv4 said:
coop22250":3pft2sv4 said:

If you think about it, provided the chamber and barrel are straight, and nothing else is interfering with accuracy, they're pretty much designed to shoot well, and most will with some tuning.

Biggest fault I have with them is the wide range of trigger functions. They range from okay, to horrible. But they all can be much improved with some old fashioned hand work.

DrMike":3pft2sv4 said:

Thanks, always an extra bit of satisfaction when a rifle comes around. As I know you're well aware, they all don't. This rifle used to shoot well according to the owner, then went to garbage. Finding a few problems to take care of and then feeding it decent reloads brought it back to life. Satisfying endeavor when it works out for sure.

Yes sir, I loved those things growing up. Since moving to AK I’ve went with all SS bolt guns just for the ease of use in horrible conditions. When I move back south I’ll probably buy another one in 308 this time just for the fun of it.

I love the pair I have. Great shooting rifles and with the Timney trigger kit they are danged serviceable.

Of the four I've had three different calibers all grouped well. Plan on keeping this last one. It's a 35 Rem. Dan.

Going through my test papers from this gun with slight variations of this load included, it had 2 groups in the 5's with the above load, 2 in the 6's with slightly different loads, and 1 just under .8. Enough tests and consistency to show it is a sub moa rifle.

They are a little fussy about how they're set up in the bags. Seem to do best being supported at the end of, or just past the action rails, where the support weight is on the forearm tube instead of directly under the action rails. This is assuming you make sure the barrel channel has ample clearance that you're not getting barrel slap when supported in this manner. I had to remove some wood from this one and re-seal it.

Overall good rifles, maybe it's the underdog aspect of how they're supposed to shoot compared to a bolt rifle, but I like em.

Mine shoots terribly, but it does the job I need it to. I keep it with just a ghost ring and a fiber optic front sight. It's my bad weather/brush gun and I only need it to shoot minute-of-deer at <100 yards, which it will do.
However, I went on a kick, at one point, trying to find an accurate load for it, mounted a scope, etc. I tried 4 or 5 hand loaded combinations and a couple of factory loads. Never got it to shoot better than about 2.5" (And I had a new crown put on it too, when I shortened the barrel). I've always been curious why it wouldn't shoot well...

Doug, hard to say. Bad barrel more than likely but could be numerous reasons. I had a 7600 here that according to the owner shot 3" at 50 yds. :shock: With a thorough cleaning and handloads, I got it to about what your saying...2.5"- 3" at 100 yds. Long ways from a tackdriver, but useable.

That particular rifle should've been sent back to Remington within a week of purchasing. Something was bad wrong with the chamber. It would cut a ring in the middle, all the way around a previously good case, so bad I was afraid the cases would fail and separate. Was almost afraid to keep going up in charge weights, but held my breath and done it. Talked to the owner about it and he said it done that on every case, from new. Too late to send it back now, long past any warranty.

I like that “minute of deer”. I have a buddy that hunts from a tree stand in the Midwest with a sentimental Bolt gun, 200 yards maximum, 2” groups. He sees all these posts about bug holes etc and thinks he needs every gun to do that for his deer stand.

I explained to him the theory of 30 rounds fired, then adjust your scope based on the center of that group. 2” groups at 100 yards sighted in this way is like 99% in a 6” group at 300. He spent hundreds of dollars trying to make it shoot .5” groups, just won’t do it. After he tried this method, then shot longer distance he’s happy with it.

Some rifles just won’t do it, whether bad barrel, burr in the barrel (had one like this once, found with bore scope), or just bad quality. It really doesn’t take an amazing rifle for most situations. I try to make them all shoot like a laser, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen.

I just relocated to the south from Alaska, you guys have got me eyeballing pumps again haha, bad influences all around!

Took my new to my 7600 280 out the other day to zero the scope a little bit before I do some load work.

I’m not sure how much load work I’ll have to do with this one. Shot pretty well with some leftover load from another work up I’d done for another 280.

Oh, yeah, that'll do. Have to love it when a trial eliminates a workup.

Back