Question about Carl Gustav 8x57

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
As some of you know I am looking to trade a few guns (a 303 British and NEF 35 Whelen) I have a guy who has offered up a Carl Gustav M 96, 8x57 "Trapper" or "Employee". Anything I should look out for? I do know the M 96 supposedly isn't as strong but the first 6.5x55 I had was a M 96 and it was a great gun. This in intriguing since the 8x57 is on my bucket list and this one comes with dies, brass and bullets and would make a great youth gun.

If it is truly a 8X57 on a 96 Mauser action RUN FROM IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK. This round produces too much pressure for that small ring action. If it is a 6.5X55 then it is a different matter. That is a good caliber and what the 96 Mauser was made in.

I thought the factory ammo was loaded to similar pressures, certainly a guy could hand load a milder load for it?

Gerry I can't speak to the M96 with experiance but the 8X57 is my all time favorite cartridge. It is an accurate, efficient and easy to load for cartridge. My youngest son has used it twice in Namibia on everything from Springbok to Zebra & Kudu with 160gr TTSX and Leopard with 180gr. Nosler BT's. I recently purchased a Sako in 8X57 and it shoots 3 different 180gr loads to the same point of impact at 100yds. If the barrel is good it should shoot well. CIP shows max psi at 56565 for the 8X57 and most of my loads are between 49k & 53k psi. The 6.5X55 is listed at 55114 max psi so I would not worry to much about the strength of the M96. I hope this helps. :grin:

1 shot makes a good point. Make sure that the bore is for a .323 cal. and not a .318 cal. also I didn't think about the small ring mauser action, While the pressure of the two cartridges are similar I don't know if it's enough. Ask a competent gunsmith. :?: :?

It does, I have always wanted an 8x57 and have considered a new Sako in that round. If I go ahead with it the 180 gr Ballistic Tip and the new 170 gr SST would be at the top of the list for bullets. Here's an interesting thread I found on them, they seem to have a good reputation.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... yees-rifle

Hey if it's factory produced and the price is right go for it. If not, I'll tell you the Sako is one nice rifle. Mine is a Grizzly 85 model and I've thought about getting another in 9.3X62 I like it so much. The 170gr SST should work well in the 8X57 I know the Nosler does. But since I live in the peoples republic of California I'll wait to try the SST. BTW I use Varget for the Nosler ( my oldest load), IMR3031 for the 160gr TTSX and Hodgdon CFE-223 for 180gr TSX & 180gr E-Tip. Big Game & Alliant 200MR worked well also.

I can't speak to the question on whether or not the action is sound, but I'll tell you I absolutely love my 8x57. Mine is the Rem700 Classic from 2004, which I bought on a deal with the intent to rebarrel it. Well, I looked at the ammo specs for Euro ammo, and decided 180s at 2700 was plenty good enough for all-around rifle status. The Nosler 180gr BT works well on white-tails, but it is more robust then the BT's reputation suggests it should be. Nosler says that particular BT is suitable for elk, and I'm inclined to believe them after seeing it perform on white-tails.

@dchamp - I'd be curious to know more about your loads and results (including velocities) with the 160 and 180gr monoliths from Barnes and Nosler. Care to share the details?

Thanks, the fellow sent me some pics and it looks nice, need to think about t a bit more. Have a couple other possibilities as well, we will see what shakes out in the next couple of days. I do know one day I want an 8x57 for sure regardless of what happens with this gun.

Gerry, SAAMI pressure for 7.92x57MM Mauser ammo is 35,000 PSI. I doubt seriously that anybody but possibly Norma would load ammo hotter than SAAMI pressure because there are so many 8x57JS and 8x57 Mauser rifles out there that are Model 1888's through 1894's. If you are going to handload, I would expect that most manuals will put you in the same SAAMI pressure max range as well.

Charlie, I can safely say most handloading manuals make reference to the differing bore sizes and then offer loads unsafe for use in the wrong bore (.323 in .318). The data they show are not -06 levels of pressure, but do approach the CIP pressure standards, with the now very habitual wide margin for error. One shining exception is the Nosler manual. Loads there are about as near max as I would imagine possible and safe. Nosler shows 2600+ with the 200gr Partition.

Gerry,

I have zero experience with the Carl Gustav rifle. I do know that I would be intrigued by the old 8X57. I loaded for one in my career, and it was a joy. It seemed to me easy to please. Should I find one in decent shape, I wouldn't be adverse to picking it up.

In 1970 Husqvarna sold its arms manufacturing to FFV. About the same time Bofors bought Carl Gustaf and now makes both their marque firearms and one Husqvarna model which is still available. Carl Gustaf was started in 1815 to make arms for the crown.

Well dubyam here you go, realize my rifle is a Sako w/21" barrel & my son's rifle is a Rem Classic w/24" barrel. The 180TSX & Nosler BT are 3.15" OAL, 160 TTSX 3.16" & 180 E-Tip 3.17 all about .050" off the lands. After loading up the rest of my 180gr TSX's I loaded 3 180gr E-Tips with the balance of my CFE223 powder. Now I am out and looking for more powder to verify and load some more E-Tips. I've had no pressure signs, but I use QL and estimate pressures between 50k & 53K psi.

FYI!! PLEASE REALIZE I FIND THESE LOADS TO BE SAFE IN MY RIFLES ONLY AND MAKE NO WARRANTY TO THEIR SAFETY IN OTHER FIREARMS.

180gr TSX 52.5gr CFE223, 2600 fps +/-, 5shot group avg 1.125"
180gr TSX 52.5gr Big Game, 2620 fps +/-, 5 shot group 1.50"
180gr E-Tip 52.5gr CFE223 2670fps +/-, 3 shot group 9/16"

180gr Nosler BT 49.5gr Varget Sako 2630fps, Rem 700 2690fps
160gr TTSX 48.5gr IMR3031 Sako 2770fps, Rem 700 2850fps

Back