Question for you guys that shoot long range...

McDAccountant

Beginner
Oct 2, 2012
I've only shot out to 200 yards at the range where I'm a member...that's the max we have. A regular 3X9 hunting scope is plenty of glass there.

Now for you guys that shoot long range, say, out to 1,000 yards...what scope do you use for those long distance shots?

The Marines used to use a fixed 10x Unertl.

I use a 4.5-14x Leupold with target turrets.

There are much better scopes for that purpose, many cost a LOT of money. If you want something that will do the job, and not break the bank, take a look at the "Super Sniper" scopes avail through SWFA. They're still a bargain, and are quality scopes. I only have experience with the older, fixed power models. A variable isn't really needed for most long-range shooting.

Equally important, and in many cases necessary, is what's called a "20 MOA scope base." These bases are cut at a bit of an angle, providing the shooter an extra "free" 20 MOA of elevation. Some scopes don't have enough elevation adjustment to reach 1,000 yards, or if they do, they are maxed out and have no windage adjustment left at that point. The 20 MOA base will allow the shooter to zero at say 200 yards, and still have plenty of elevation left to reach 1,000 yards. With most cartridges & scopes anyway.

For serious long-range shooting you will likely want adjustable parallax, excellent glass, lots of windage & elevation adjustment. A 50 mm objective lens is not necessary. Most good long-range scopes have at least a 30mm tube.

Good bases & rings are avail from Badger Ord, Seekins Precision, Warne, and others.

Hope this helps. Guy

I use a 5-15x42 Zeiss Diavari V for my .257 Roberts, FN and a 4.5-14x40AO for my .204 Ruger, CZ 527. Other than that for hunting, I use a 4x12-50 Swarovski on my Custom Mauser 7mm Rem Mag.

While we are on this topic, I have been shooting deer out west for many years. Some of the shots were a distance further than 200 yards. I have never had any issues with using 9x to 10x magnification scopes for deer and elk hunting for 50 years. I find that 10x is plenty of magnification for most hunting and most of my rifles have a 10x maximum magnification scopes.

I hesitate to post on this topic because I have no expertise but I can tell you it is a very specialized endeavor. And what scope to use is not the place to start. I know of guys who shoot P-dogs at over 1600 yards and win matches at farther. Do some googleing on FTR competition. There are lots of forums out there. What that guy said about the 20 MOA mount is true and the 30mm scopes are used because you get more elevation adjustment.

But the biggest thing by far is doping the wind. It's not science; it's witchhcraft. These guys consider 600 yards mid-range.
You will spend a fortune in ammo and equipment to get to their level.

For a start go to the Guns and Ammo forum and search for posts by a guy named Ernie Bishop. He teaches it. You can also search there for screen name Pegasus. He competes in FTR on a national level.
Ernie often competes and hunts, even big game with specialty pistols. I'd love to have the time, money and place to shoot to get into it. Good luck in your quest.

Razorbacker":3g14si8i said:
But the biggest thing by far is doping the wind. It's not science; it's witchhcraft. These guys consider 600 yards mid-range.
There you go.

Shooting to 600 yards is done in a relatively typical manner - except for the wind.
Once you get beyond 600 they start adding in spin drift and coriolis effect as well. In layman's terms, how the spinning of the bullet makes it shift in flight as well as how much the earth turns since the trigger was pulled.

However, the wind will get you.

I had no problems seeing/shooting to 450 last year with my 4.5-15 Zeiss. However, going out further is an entirely different matter in many ways. Work up to 600 while playing with the wind an learning how to dope. If you can hit consistently with wind to that distance go home happy. :)

Same here Heath. I've shot the Whelen to 600 with the 3x9 and #4 reticle. That's about my max range for any hunting right now. I don't feel hindered with a 9 or 10X scope on a hunting rifle as long as long as you can see your target. Seeing an elk at even 600 isn't too hard with most decently powered scopes.

Us Marines on the board here must remember drilling an E target at 500 with peep sights and a measly 5.56. Not saying its easy at all, but with the right target you'll worry more about the wind than what you can see of the target.

Same thing for the Army we had to drill targets at 500 yards with an M-1 and peep sights.

Depends on your target. I shoot at 600 yards with a rifle that last saw service on the Eastern Front... a Mosin Nagant PU sniper with a 3.5X scope. On a 600 yard highpower target, it's easy to center the black. High Power 600 yard service rifle is fired with Iron peep sights.

If you're trying to center smaller targets, I'd think the more magnification, the better. Aim small miss small.

As posted above, our snipers use 8X Leupolds and some 10X scopes on the standard 7,62 sniper platforms. The .338s and 50's have a whole different class of optics now, going up to 24X, many are custom builds or prototypes or a mix of different commercial optics. There is no standard for these rifles yet as the tech is evolving rapidly and undergoing some nasty real-world testing. NATO still uses an 8X Zeiss, Russia and China still field the 8X POSP on the SVD although they have branched into some higher magnification Western Europpean scopes as well on some of their specialized bolt guns.

Depends on the size of the target. For man size target, a quality glass at 10X magnification is plenty. For paper punching however, you need at least 20 to 25X. A 6.5X20 or a 5.5X22 scopes will give you flexibility in the field.

Here's a few targets shot with a plain old 3-9x40 Leupold Mark AR....

12"x18" silhouette...
20130104_141043.jpg

5 @ 650... 2 @ 900...
20121229_135114.jpg

1 round each at 300-800...
20121224_090757.jpg

Your scope has the power but probably lacks a parallux adjustments. Your cross hairs are going to be all over place and your point of impacts are never going to be consistent. See the you tube link below. You can spend big money on optics. But if you want to get something good with out spending a ton money. I would suggest the swfa super sniper fixed 10x. The reviews speak for itself.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical- ... -P499.aspx

http://youtu.be/JrFj2zR0mdI

Larry

I agree with desert fox reply , it really depends on what your trying to do . I seem to like more power than most guys . I have a 5.5-22 on my one rifle it seems to be good . I've shot it out to about 700 yds , the longest place I can find to shoot close to home , and I think 1000 would be doable without problems . a few years ago I was shooting gallon milk jugs with a few guys . we started at 500 and went out to 1000 . at this time I had a 4.5- 14 power scope . at 1000 yards I couldn't see the milk jugs on 14 power , this makes them darned hard to hit . I used Bobby Hart's rifle with a 8.5 - 25 power scope and shot the jugs at 1000 , they were still a little hard to see . here is a thread from another forum you might find interesting . Jim

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/ ... ope-43807/

Mud":33ev87sh said:
Your scope has the power but probably lacks a parallux adjustments. Your cross hairs are going to be all over place and your point of impacts are never going to be consistent. See the you tube link below. You can spend big money on optics. But if you want to get something good with out spending a ton money. I would suggest the swfa super sniper fixed 10x. The reviews speak for itself.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical- ... -P499.aspx

http://youtu.be/JrFj2zR0mdI

Larry

No parallax adjustment on the 3-9 used for the groups I posted... seems to be a problem once you get above 12x or so.

To give you a perspective, Here's what 1,339 yards look like with my MK4 at 20X magnification

Here's 1,823 yards with my IOR at 18X magnification.

Pretty clear view. The highest I can go is 15X with my Zeiss Diavari. I worry more about mirage at 1500 yards then clarity of the scope or parallax.

Back