Question on clicks....

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Gents,
I have purchased a Leupold VX-III BC and I am just trying to get accustomed to its features.
In your opinion, do the two turrets need to be "run in" a little.
I explain.....I had to fine tune my scope and moved a few clicks....
Unfortunately, it seems it takes two to three shots for the reticle to "feel" the adjustment.

Is this normal :shock: ?
Do I need to "play around" a bit to speed-up the correct reading?
If so, what should I do and how long is it gonna take ?

Appreciate your comments.

Cheers
Bluejay :wink:

Bluejay,

That does not seem normal. You should contact Leupold customer service and ask them.
You could also try moving your clicks and additional 3-4 clicks and then go back to where your adjustment needs to be. Another words, you need to move 5 clicks up, so move the 5 + 3-4 and then move back down the 3-4 so you are at the 5 up. Another thing to try is after you make an adjustment, wrap the scope a couple times with the heal of your hand to settle the adjustment.

Let us know what Leupold tells you.

JD338

Sometimes, tapping (gently) with the head (primer end) of a fired case on the turret will help 'settle' the adjustment. This was mostly done on older scopes, but maybe your leupold is tight or sticky.

Bluejay, both JD and Dubyam are on the money. This problem is very common on older, cheaper (Trashco, Bushhell) scopes. Personally, I've never had it with a Leupold. Considering what you paid for a new VXIII, I'd send it back to Leupold to be fixed. Part of the reason we buy Leupold's is for the excellent customer service.

Ditto
I still (probably out of habit) tap the adjustment knobs on every scope after adjusting. I havn't found a scope yet (even the sainted Leupold) that it didn't help on. The adjustments should be returnable to an exact point but few are untill you get way up into the high end tacticle scopes. Most are spring loaded movements that after adjusting rely on the spring to move the lense. So if the lense isn't moved all the way because of slightly rough surfaces it will move on the next recoil which may be after another adjustment has been made. It's one of those ( it only takes a second) steps that saves a lot of time and frustration.

Hello Gents,

To give you an update.....

I have found that if I tap the rifle firmly at the buttstock even just once, it helps the clicks to work perfectly, even when moved by 1 click only.

I do this operation at the range only, as I am not gonna fool around with this practice in the hunting field though....(too risky) :wink:
Otherwise, ...no point in buying a Boone & Crockett reticle then :wink:

Thanks for all your replies.

Cheers
Bluejay

here is what I do on my scopes I dial the shots in while long range hunting.
if you need to dial 1/2 or 1 moa, dial 1 moa past then come back, its spring tension on the erector tube your trying to neutralize with the knobs, serves the same purpose as tapping. On my target turrets I always go past and dial back on my windage and elevation while setting my comeups.
RR

Ridge_Runner":3d6dpks0 said:
if you need to dial 1/2 or 1 moa, dial 1 moa past then come back, its spring tension on the erector tube your trying to neutralize with the knobs, serves the same purpose as tapping. On my target turrets I always go past and dial back on my windage and elevation while setting my comeups.
RR

Well said & this is what I do also.

One of the first things I liked about my VX II was that during sight in, when I needed to move in inch to the right it was four clicks EXACTLY and thats where it stayed. Its also why I spent the extra money over a VX I. My Bushnell's a "somewhere close" on the clicks. Like I sa why I like my Luey. I would send her back. You spent a lota money and there customer service is legendary. Let us know what you decide. CL

Ridge_Runner":pwr5zf2i said:
RR

RR, What scope are these that your talking about. This usually occur on cheapy chicom made scopes. Premium brand shouldn't have this problem. If you use the target knobs, you should perform box test to make sure that your scopes tracks well. Here's one I did with my IOR scope. Shot are in sequence from 1 to 6. Distance was 110 yards. Load was 155 grain Lapua Scenar, 44.8 grain Varget. The rifle is my 308 Obermeyer Tactical.

Fired the first shot at the center of the target and noted that the bullet impacted half inch low. I then dialed the elevation knob 3MOA up and windage 3MOA right and fired shot no.2. I then turned the elevation turret 6MOA down for shot no.3. For my 4th shot I totally got confused and dialed a total of 9MOA instead of 6. As you can see, shot no.4 ended up at the edge at the target. I went ahead and dialed the elevation turret 6MOA up, carefull this time not to make mistake, and fired shot no. 5. On shot no.6, I just reset both my elevation and windage dial back to my original zero and fired. And here the result!!!

Picture100.jpg

Back