Question on Nosler 7mm Rem Mag Brass

Partisan

Beginner
Aug 5, 2013
I picked some Nosler Blem 7mm Rem Mag brass up from SPS a few weeks ago. Price was about what I pay for Hornady brass. The brass had a few scratches and such like I expected.

I didn't size them just primed and loaded 12 of them to plink and get some once-fired cases. Priming them was a challenge with my RCBS hand primer. A dozen of the cases had to be run over a ram primer to fully seat. When I loaded them I noticed seating the bullets that the force differed a lot but they were blems so didn't bother me much.

They chambered and fired fine. Extraction no problem. No overt pressure signs. Shot a .440" C-to-C group with them. Smiling I went home.

When I went to size the fired cases I had to lean down on the Rockchucker as hard as I could to start the necks and then all that did was roll a doughnut down the neck. Tried 2 and gave up. I use a Forester Benchrest die set for the 7mm. So fairly tight tolerances on the size die.

I compared measurements of the fired neck OD and neck wall thickness to 2 other case brands. The ODs were the same and the neck thickness on the Noslers was about 0.002" thicker than the other brands.

On another retail site that has product Ratings there were several comments on both the Nosler and Norma brands very similar to what I experienced. Fore the Norma 4 out of 7 comments were negative.

So is it neck thickness or hardness on these cases? So ream them? Turn the OD? Anneal ? Or just pitch the lot as a bed investment???
Anybody run into this on either Nosler or Norma for the 7mm Rem?

How are you lubricating the case? Case mouth?

JD338

JD338":15bfbxwp said:
How are you lubricating the case? Case mouth?

JD338
Same as always. First try was Hornady Unique on the body and Imperial Graphite in and on the neck. After running into resistance I lubed the neck with Unique as well.

Back