Question on Primers

BigBoreDan

Beginner
May 16, 2010
Reloading components for the most part are readily available here locally...especially powder and bullets BUT primers are pretty scarce especially CCI and Federal. I lucked out and scored 500 Federal 210's yesterday and 1000 Federal 215's today :)

My question to you guys is what's the situation like where you live?

It's about the same Dan. I am running dangerously low on CCI250's, but the rest of them seem to be around, here and there. I know, I won't get stuck again. I believe from now on, I will be getting primer's by the few thousand, instead of just a 1000 at a time. I hate to have to keep that many on hand, but as my OLD hunting partner mentioned, they don't go bad and they don't get less expensive.

There are no primers of any kind available locally for me...luckily though, I have not needed any...and probably won't for a while.

Primers are the one thing I just happened to be well stocked up on...except small rifle primers for the AR, but then I don't do alot of shooting with the AR.

Primers availability is sporadic. When they are in stock, they are in plentiful supply. When they are gone, it will be a while before they are seen again. Still, there is no particular panic buying.

Man! I have primers out the wazoo! Powder and brass are the things I can't find! Been searching for H1000 and H4350 for months now. Every time I go into the shops the powder shelves are covered in cobwebs.

When I wasa kid my dad would just buy a couple of hundred before we reloaded...we never stocked up per se. Hell I didn't even know you could buy them by the 1000 until I was older lol. The only time I ever saw a carton was when he sent my mom to town to buy a 100 CCI 450 and she came home with a 1000. I'm glad she did because those 25year old primers are lighting off my 222 loads I posted about :)

Most places here in Central Kalifornia have primers of all kinds. Powder and bullets now that is another story all together! Thank God for SPS.

BigBoreDan":g04kpt3g said:
When I wasa kid my dad would just buy a couple of hundred before we reloaded...we never stocked up per se. Hell I didn't even know you could buy them by the 1000 until I was older lol. The only time I ever saw a carton was when he sent my mom to town to buy a 100 CCI 450 and she came home with a 1000. I'm glad she did because those 25year old primers are lighting off my 222 loads I posted about :)

That's pretty cool Dan! I love the old products!

Still extremely difficult in my area to find anything for reloading. Have not been able to find powder or primers for well over a year now. Bullets are hit and miss. Nosler bullets are especially hard to find in our local gun shops. While back I was over in Idaho for a day or two and scored on lever powder for the 30:30 and 150 BT,s for the 06. There stocks overall were also very poor. Basically my normal range day is now cut to once a month rather than once a week. I hate this lack of shooting stuff. Pot is now in fine supply while us normal people are getting the shaft. Sorry for whining. I,m just sick of the situation.

It is ok here.

Biggest problem no powders no 22 lr ammo

Here primers are pretty good Powder forget it ! Brass is around but not the stuff I would like to get, bullets are starting to show up in my haunts but as always the partitions and accubonds I want vanish before I can get to them. Lucky I have lots of powder and primers bullet wise I am pretty good just a little shy on brass outside of that I should be ok for the next while.

.300winmag":zu4238l2 said:
Man! I have primers out the wazoo! Powder and brass are the things I can't find! Been searching for H1000 and H4350 for months now. Every time I go into the shops the powder shelves are covered in cobwebs.

What part of co are you in?

Brass is available, but it has to be special ordered, and man, is it steep. Fortunately, about five years ago, I saw the writing on the wall. Watching the commodity markets and the sales of base metals to China and India, I invested in brass, buying a minimum of 200 pieces of new brass for every cartridge I was then loading. It was insufficient because that darned Scotty keeps urging me to buy another rifle, which means more brass, which consumes my primers and my powders... :?

Scotty is very good at that urging...lol!!!

I've added quite a few myself over the last few years and am still burning through the primers trying to learn about each...

My Dad gave me a Remington Model 700 BDL in 270 Winchester and it handled all of my hunting and shooting chores for 25+ years. I am at heart a gun nut though and when my Dad bought a 300 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard and I decided to add a Weatherby to my collection as well and chose the 257 Weatherby then I found GunBroker and things got crazy lol!!! I found a great deal on a Ruger .350 Remington Magnum M77 All-weather, then a smoking deal on a Mark V 340 WM and then I decided I needed a lever action to help balance all my bolt rifles and got aMarlin 45-70 before Remington took over. Then I found a deal I couldn't refuse on a 444P Outfitter. When my dad passed away I inherited a 222 and a 6mm and two more 270's and the aforementioned 300 Weatherby...

With such a bad case of gunnutitis I need all the primers and reloading supplies I can come by lol

Yup! You got it bad. Ain't no cure but to buy up primers in lots of 5000+.

DrMike":3j3tyxg5 said:
Yup! You got it bad. Ain't no cure but to buy up primers in lots of 5000+.

You know I had a perfectly logical reason for each and every purchase when I made it lol!!!

I have lots of primers, what I don't have is lots of H-1000. Brownells, is supposed to be getting some in soon and will ship me 8 lbs, which I have had on order since June. I have enough for "this" hunting season but not next.

I actually saw several thousand CCI primers, in Shorty's, (Cathlamet )Oregon a few days ago when I was through there. I am working on a painting project so I am tied down for a few days, then back into the real world.

Dan, I think it is healthier than alot of other bad habits us men could have.

Bill, I can bring some 8lb'er's of H1000 in about a month if you can wait. I have plenty of it locally.

Mike, I have no idea what you are talking about!

SJB358":26osqmsc said:
Mike, I have no idea what you are talking about!

Ouch! How sharper than a serpent's tooth! You know I'd never buy another rifle were it not for the undue influence exerted by certain individuals influencing me toward the dark side! :grin:

I probably have a couple more than the federales want me to have. I've had to cut back on my shooting quite a bit, I simply could not replace what I was shooting. I'm used to about 20k pistol, 5k rifle, and 10k shotshells fired during the applicable seasons.

Back