Reloading Component Fads

Never tried Retumbo in the 6.5 x 284, I have been using H4831SC and its accurate, but on the slow side of 2820 fps for accuracy. I have read that Retumbo is capable of 2950 fps roughly or more. I'm itching to try Retumbo, but H4831SC works and have about close to 7 pounds of it, enough to last the barrel.
What velocity are you getting with Retumbo?

I cannot recall the exact figure as the 6.5x284 was not my rifle, but a clients that I loaded for but it was 2900+ fps with the Berger 142 grain VLD Hunting BTHP.

And in the .25-06 boy it was 3150 fps with the 115 grain Nosler BT’s or as Guy Miner calls it “the Blue Cyclone!”

Alas Retumbo is about as common as a Leprechauns pot of gold these days so I use easier stuff to find like Ramshot Hunter or Magnum powders.

I think I have tried a grand total of 0 of the product you mention.

My philosophy when I started reloading was a rather egalitarian one. What one powder could I use to load for the largest number of chamberings? (That I could afford) That's why I have RL 15 and Blue Dot. Not pretty, not the best velocities, not the tightest groups, but across all the rifles and handguns I used to own before they were eaten by bears, it would produce functional groups and effects at the ranges I shot.

Thank goodness I hit my head and started branching out - this is fun! Still have a load of those two powders.

Man that's sad. Those bears are so destructive. I used to have over 4 cases of LR primers but the shed I kept them in got towed off and I forgot I had them in there. Google earth can even prove it. Shed used to be there on my property, now it's gone. That was a bad day when I realized all my primers were gone. Oh well, life goes on.

Last edited:
LOL...H1000 is my go to for 105gr in .243 and 140gr-180gr in my 7mm Rem mag. Absolutely not a fad imo and in fact, it's more like the gold standard.
What about it disappointed you?

I think your post years ago lead my to H1000.

H1000 with 105’s in my 243 and cci250’s got consistent hits at 1000yds on a 18” plate using a Leupold mark ar 3-9x40 with straight duplex. I bought quite a bit of H1000 because it performs so well.

I think I have tried a grand total of 0 of the product you mention.

My philosophy when I started reloading was a rather egalitarian one. What one powder could I use to load for the largest number of chamberings? (That I could afford) That's why I have RL 15 and Blue Dot. Not pretty, not the best velocities, not the tightest groups, but across all the rifles and handguns I used to own before they were eaten by bears, it would produce functional groups and effects at the ranges I shot.

Thank goodness I hit my head and started branching out - this is fun! Still have a load of those two powders.
There's a lot of that happening nowadays. Probably has to do with all those "CCP spy balloons" floating over us. I used to have a lot of components, but on a canoe trip some time ago, they all fell out and into the deep lake. Lost a lot of rifles at the same time!

Since I started loading in the early 70's I have pretty much stayed with three powders, IMR4064, IMR4831 and Rl19. I have tried others but found for my loads and rifles they have been the best for me over the years. For Primers I started out with CCI, but I found in the early 80's that Federals gave me my best groups, so I have stuck with them.

I used Retumbo in my 25-06 until I bought 12 lbs of RL26 several years ago. I now use 26 not only in my 25-06, but in my 280 Rem with 150g AB and 243 with several bullets. Great accuracy and velocity.
The one thing with RL26 when it works it really works. RL17 is another one , but both are nonexistent today.

The one thing with RL26 when it works it really works. RL17 is another one , but both are nonexistent today.

Personal opinion is the same can be said of RL22. I've never bought any of those powders but in working with a 7mm mag that was fairly ho-hum in both velocity and accuracy with standard powders, it came alive on both those measures with RL22. I don't think I've ever seen a powder within similar burn rates of other powders, show such a marked and noticeable difference in performance.

Personal opinion is the same can be said of RL22. I've never bought any of those powders but in working with a 7mm mag that was fairly ho-hum in both velocity and accuracy with standard powders, it came alive on both those measures with RL22. I don't think I've ever seen a powder within similar burn rates of other powders, show such a marked and noticeable difference in performance.
double base powders contain more energy than single base powders due to the nitroglycerine in their makeup.

I guess you could consider Superformance powder a fad or gimmick, but it’s a fantastic option for my 280 and 243. They make no bones about the fact that it’s a niche powder and only works in limited cartridges. But, as they say, when it works, it really works.

I guess you could consider Superformance powder a fad or gimmick, but it’s a fantastic option for my 280 and 243. They make no bones about the fact that it’s a niche powder and only works in limited cartridges. But, as they say, when it works, it really works.
In an email response I got from Hodgdon, they said that when using a ball powder, the burn rate of the powder needs to be as such that load density be at least 93%. Preferably above. That’s why fast burning ball powders don’t work in large capacity cartridges. They don’t let the load density get to a level to prevent detonation. I asked Them about Staball 6.5 in the 7mm RM and that was their response. It was too fast of a burn rate. That’s why they brought out Staball HD.

double base powders contain more energy than single base powders due to the nitroglycerine in their makeup.

Yeah but what I'm saying is we couldn't get anywhere close to published book velocity with similar burn rate powders such as 4831, don't remember the other powder we tried. The rifle was SLOW and no accuracy to speak of. Were using 160 grain bullets preparing for an elk hunt. I was very unimpressed. I remember telling the guy he might as well just take a 30-06.......load it up with 180 grain bullets and 56-56.5 grains of IMR 4350, done.

We tried RL 22 and suddenly it was right with book velocities for that powder, which was plenty fast enough, and accuracy was well under MOA consistently.

I bought a bunch of RE15,17,22 when Gander outdoors closed down their sporting goods stores and selling the powders for 40% off I wish I knew more at the time about RE22 as they had a whole shelf of it but I only grabbed 6 of them. This was the last great deal in December 19 before the Covid and inflation era of today.

I haven't been much for trying new stuff. Just a listing of the cartridges I load for don't show anything really new. About the newest powders I've done anything with are RL15 and 17 and IMR7828Ssc. The one trial with 7828 was a win for speed but a disaster for accuracy. I never could get and good groups from a rifle that is usually in the .75" or better range. The newest bullet I've tried was the 30 caliber 165 gr. AccuBond and they came as part of a deal I got on a large quantity of .270, 7MM, and 30 caliber Nosler bullets, the majority being Partitions. Guess I belong to the, "If it works, don't fix it," group. I do like that 165 gr. AB bullet though and wish there had been more than one box in that big batch of bullets I bought.
Paul B.

I bought a bunch of RE15,17,22 when Gander outdoors closed down their sporting goods stores and selling the powders for 40% off I wish I knew more at the time about RE22 as they had a whole shelf of it but I only grabbed 6 of them. This was the last great deal in December 19 before the Covid and inflation era of today.

Man that was a deal! You remember what those powder prices were with the 40% off?

$18 per pound of bottle they only had 1 pounders I also got the rare H4895 but others knew what that was so wasn't much of it just 5lbs left but it cost me around $25

Great prices even at the old pricing. That's the way to buy stuff, money on hand and buy the deals when you see them. I happened to get a 8 lb jug of H4895 right before it got real crazy. Paid $238 for it so not your deal, but under $30 per lb. Had 1.5 lbs of it before and just cracked into that 8 lb jug recently. Bought a 8 lb jug of IMR 4831 at the same time for $219.

That was up from what it had been just 6 mo's prior, but glad I got it. That price is certainly not anywhere close to high now.

Back