Quick and sweet

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Tomorrow I am going to trade in my Browning Stainless Stalker 7m-08 to do (in my mind) an upgrade. My choices will be . . . Sako 308, 270, 270WSM, 7mm and 300WSM. Or a Weatherby Mark V in 30-06. This is basically to add to my short stable of rifles, you know something for my boys after I am gone. Currently I have (Keepers) a Tikka pre-T3 Whitetail Hunter in 243 and a Sako in 280. Other rifles are levers etc... that are passed down from my Dad and I don't hunt with them.

So What do you think?

Long

Long,

I would go with the 300WSM. This would give you a step up in power should you decide to do some long range hunting or hunt bigger game in NA or Africa.
Another canidate would be the 300 Win Mag.

Good luck with your decision. What ever you choose, it will be the right one for you.

Regards,

JD338

Definately something bigger. That's my opinion anyway.
That way you have the whole spectrum covered.
6mm
7mm
308. From mice to moose!

BTW SAKO'S ROCK!

Well, took my oldest son with me and told him, "pick out what you want cuz someday it will be for you and your brother along with my other rifles. He looked . . . and looked. Then asked questions of both myself and the gun shop owner. Then he looked somemore and asked more questions. We walked out with a Sako in 270Win. So now I have Sako's in 280 and 270 . . . twins. Can't complain, I will use them knowing that the boys will have a couple of nice rifles (along with my other guns) to look at and talk about how much their old man loved them and loved hunting.

Long

Long,

Congrats on the 270 Win. Let us know how she shoots.
What are you going to do for optics?

JD338

As soon as I sell my Zeiss conquest 3.5x10x44 in silver, I will order the same scope in 3x9x40 black matte.

Long

Back