Quickload is just a guide!

rodell

Handloader
Dec 23, 2013
I always put book loads into Quickload so I can play with them as I prepare my OCW run. I'm working on a new load for 375 H&H using the 270 grain TTSX.

The maximum load listed in Barnes #4 calculates to 107,000 psi! I double checked all the settings, it just doesn't handle the bullet/cartridge very well. It seems to be true with both of the recommended powders (RL15 and N540). Of course, maybe I'm doing proof loads and didn't realize it!

I've seen some significant variances before, but, this is the largest I've seen.

Since each firing system is unique, all loading manuals/guides and all mathematical systems are guides. You, the hand loader, are responsible for verifying that a given load is safe for your firing system and with the components you have assembled. I preach this at each class I teach, though I wonder whether people actually believe what I say.

That is a huge difference but I have to say that quick load freaks out really bad on Long bullets. Most of the Grooved Barnes Bullets don't seem to make any more pressure the most cup n core and sometimes less. Usually when I start a new workup I find quick load is my most accurate Source but I still always cross-reference it with at least two or three other sources.... and there sure can be some interesting discrepancies

Back