Ran into issue with RCBS handprimer

gldprimr

Beginner
Mar 12, 2006
Working on priming my first batch of 6.5 PRC cases today and found that my RCBS hand priming tool really didn’t work all that well with the fatter case. I switched to the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool on my bench and found that it was really easy to use and primed the 80+ cases I had left to prime in the first batch quickly. I had purchased it on sale with no specific reason as I normally use my hand primer and was really glad I had it. No earth shattering reloading revelations but it was good to have options. I think in the future if I have more than 50 cases to prime I’ll probably use the Automatic Priming Tool.

Been there , I had open up the top of my Hornady hand primer to fit the 378 Wby based cases.

I used a Lee hand primer for standard size cases and my Co-Ax for magnum cases.

JD338

I have not reloaded for any of the PRC cases as of yet. I wouldn’t have anticipated my hand primer not working well. I’ve had it since before the short mags came out. Might have to retire it.

I have a Frankford Arsenal Platinum hand primer, and it's great. Shell holders to fit pretty much every case, adjustable seating depth, very solid.

I use the older rcbs with the shell holders and have no problems with 6.5 prc cases.

Called RCBS today and lady I spoke to said it shouldn’t have been an issue with case dimensions so they are mailing me a new set of jaws. I’ll see if that takes care of it. Regardless could not have asked for a quicker, more polite response. I’ll see if that addresses the issue when I get them. Kudos to RCBS for customer service !

I've not had any problems with 6.5 PRC in mine. Hopefully the new jaws fix your issue. The very few times I've had to call their customer service, they've been awesome.

Back