Small base die users finally a good stuck case remover!!

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
This was under the radar...still is truth be told.
I even had to tell an RCBS employee that they actually made this now when I had a question. He was like, I didn't even know we made this yet.

Anyways...
Screw nut on the stem...it rips the case apart while freeing the sizing ball/stem

Then use the large or small punch to drive out the stuck case.

1681801306016.png
Obviously you must replace the whole decapping unit but that's fine by me.
Back up and running in a matter of a minute or two with a new $8 dollar decapping unit.

Sure beats drilling, tapping the case, blah blah blah

Over time I've been pretty good at knowing when a stuck case will happen so I back the ram off and case out before it's too late. Turn the case 45 degrees and then no problem.

Still occasionally one get's past me and will get stuck in there.

You SB die users know exactly what I speak of.

Anyways...good...no no..GREAT updated tool from their first stuck case remover with drill and tap. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

A drill, tap, stack of washers, and a bolt have always worked for me. For me the problem of stuck cases has occured when I failed to use an adequate amount of sizing lube and once when I tried to salvage 338-06AI cases that were over expanded above the web. In both cases the drill and tap method worked fine. Using imperial wax I've never stuck a case in any of my small base dies (.223, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, or 30-06 Springfield. I've gone away from using anything but imperial wax. Hornady One Shot is another subject.

Yep, I use the same drill and tap I use to make modified cases for the Hornady tool. Although I never thought about a stack of washers, I just always used a deep well socket. Maybe stick one every couple years, but then again I don’t t have any small base dies.

A drill, tap, stack of washers, and a bolt have always worked for me. For me the problem of stuck cases has occured when I failed to use an adequate amount of sizing lube and once when I tried to salvage 338-06AI cases that were over expanded above the web. In both cases the drill and tap method worked fine. Using imperial wax I've never stuck a case in any of my small base dies (.223, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, or 30-06 Springfield. I've gone away from using anything but imperial wax. Hornady One Shot is another subject.

Yep, I use the same drill and tap I use to make modified cases for the Hornady tool. Although I never thought about a stack of washers, I just always used a deep well socket. Maybe stick one every couple years, but then again I don’t t have any small base dies.
Without question the problem always comes from not enough lube. SB dies present a more magnified line one must toe with plenty of lube yet not too much....more tedious than the typical full length die for sure.

The drill/tap use works...and other ways as well...But this new offering is much faster, easier etc.

As example you don't even need to remove your die from the press. It doesn't even need to be touched.
Run the nut onto the stem, draw out stem, punch out stuck case, replace decapping unit, continue loading.

On the lube part...
I use one shot and really like it.
But.....
The one shot has much less margin of error.

I find it to work best when spraying at a 45 degree angle catching the case mouth too. Rotate 180 degrees and do again.
Wait 60 seconds, re-size.
20-30 cases is the good number for me. More than that and the lube goes away by the time you get past case 30+ which then becomes a problem

7/32” bit , 1/4” tap , pair of 5/8 nuts , heavy 1/4” washer , and a 1/4” grade 8 thread bolt. Basically stuff laying around in the shop.
Correct...

But you aren't doing that on the press

No , just a trip to the shop (50’) and maybe 5 minutes I’m back going.
Right... and I've been there and done that.

The point is for a less than $10 dollar item that can also be used repeatedly...literally right on the press. Matter of fact the lock ring need not even be touched...

It's nice to see companies improving product ideas and designs. Far too often we're left with old ideas that could be improved upon and never are.

Not being a smart aleck and it could happen next week, but I've never had a stuck case. I could've had them, lots of times. They're not gonna get stuck just spontaneously. I've stopped midway many times and removed that case and put more lube on it and then it sized as normal.

But never say never. I could need such a tool about the time I say it's never happened.

Not being a smart aleck and it could happen next week, but I've never had a stuck case. I could've had them, lots of times. They're not gonna get stuck just spontaneously. I've stopped midway many times and removed that case and put more lube on it and then it sized as normal.

But never say never. I could need such a tool about the time I say it's never happened.
It only happened to me early on working with small base dies.
A FL die...you feel a littke resistance...no problem pushing on through...

A SB die...that little resistance is getting
stuck.

That said...I've run into a couple instances if I'm trying to size en masse of hundred(S) you get in a groove and one get's a little tough...but made it....that next tough one isn't making it.

It happens.

I've also learned over time that no matter how much lube I'll get one that is very tough, if you rotate the case 180 degrees it sizes with ease.

As a side note....
I used to scoff at SB dies as people not knowing how to use their FL die...
Then I aquired a couple AR's with exceptional accuracy but extremely tight chambers. Didn't know that until I couldn't cycle ammo in a couple of them.

After doing some research on to venture down the SB path or not ( you hear of shortening brass life 🙄) I learned all of Dillon's 5.56 dies and apparently other calibers are all SB dies without bearing the title.

Once I confirmed that I didn't hesitate and got some RCBS SB dies for 5.56x45 and 7.62x51

Should've got them long ago. Everything cycles in everything all the time every time. (13 AR platforms)

I recently had a stuck case when forming my 375 Wby brass out of the Peterson basic. The first case got 3/4 ways up in my Hornady press and ran out of power. Backing it up ripped the rim off so out to the shop and pulled it. I switch over to my RCBS press and no issues. That Peterson brass is some tuff stuff. This was the first case in years that I stuck , since going away from Hornady’s Oneshot.

Back