Range Day 3/9/15

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Well had another good range day today. Made some loads up for the 35 Rem. My first 35 cal and lever gun. It has a specific fun purpose in my arsenal and I think it will prove out. Kinda different setting up a crimp die and all but it was neat and it shoots plenty good for its purpose. Was shooting .357" 158 Nosler JHP pistol bullets in it. I could push this load a lot faster if I want to. 30 grains of IMR-4198. Cases should last forever. It put 3 touching at 25 yards with iron sights. Long shot for this rifle may be 50 yards so it's totally acceptable for my intents.

Also shot the 338-06AI prepping it for bear. This rifle has been a bear to deal with. No pun intended. Best group it shot was under 1/2" when Fireforming a couple years ago. Since then it's best group was 3/4". I'd tried 200BT and 225 AB and once tried the 225 PT (only shot one group)which did shoot 3/4". I've tried 3 different powders at numerous different charges spreads of 8 grains with these powders and seating depths from 3.385" mag length all the way down to 3.2" no matter what I did no gain in results. So after I booked my hunt I decided to load some 225PT at 62 grains of 414 and at 3.315" and and 3.3" to test along with some 210 S2 from .050", .075" and .1" off the lands.

Well the first PT group was 2-in-1-out at about .75" and the fouler off a cold barrel about an inch lower than the group. Then I shot the 3.3" load and had 4 rounds go in a single group at about .5". I was very pleased with this as I had never seen this rifle shoot remotely close to this good. I was beginning to believe it was the "nut" not being able to handle the rifle.

Then I shot the 210 S2's and they were all over. Back to a sense of normality with that rifle 1.5-2" groups. With the .075" rounds going into a 3" vertical string.

I always wanted that rifle to shoot those sleek sexy AB or S2's but I guess I should've realized this a long time ago and tried harder with the plain old basic PT. They might not look that pretty but they dang sure shoot and put animals on the ground. Would have saved a lot of time and money if I would've listened to the rifle. A lot less powder burned and frustration with that rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 366
Nothing wrong with your Partition group, Jake. I find that Partitions tend to shoot very well in most of my rifles. While I sometimes can find a bragging load with the AccuBond, the Partitions just keep on doing what they do best, which is shoot well enough to put game on the ground. Few complaints about Partitions from this shooter.

Partitions shoot for me. I use them in (5) calibers of bolt action plus a single shot 9.3mm and they all group under MOA.

Very cool Jake. Glad you have the 338-06 sorted out buddy. That's a good load you have with the 225 PT. I bet you'd have a hard time doing much better. It'll hold onto energy really well and it would take a huge bundle of hair, bone and muscle to stop one of them.

Oh and that danged 35 Remington with the pistol bullets looks really cool!

Jake,

Good show. Glad you figured out the 338-06. The 225 gr PT will serve you well.
Ya just gotta love those lever actions. The 35 Rem is a cool round.

JD338

Jake nice job there on getting it right. Sometimes they can be finicky. Maybe you better take that .280 AI for a spare just in case! :grin:

Back