Range Day In Colorado

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
Range day for the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 7mm Rem Mag was excellent.
View attachment Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 7mm Rem Mag with Minox 4-20x50mm.jpg

Using 160 gr NABs and IMR4831, I got consistent 5 shot groups. This is not a screamer load averaging only 2963 fps but each group was just too easy to shoot. (H4831sc would not give consistent accurate groups)
View attachment 7mm Rem Mag Using IMR4831.jpg

Scotty suggested trying RL22. This load was zipping down the range at a nice average clip of 3069 fps and it too was easy to get a decent group.
View attachment 7mm Rem Mag Using Reloader22.jpg

Tomorrow we will test both and which ever one has the best 5 shot group at 200 yards wins 2nd rifle in hunting camp this year (You know my 338winmag is always first! :) )

My experience with a new Kimber 8400 Classic 300 Win Mag is proving to be difficult with 180 gr Nosler Partitions.
View attachment Kimber 8400 Classic 300 Win Mag with Nikon 3-9 BDC.jpg

I might have to treat this rifle as a hostile witness till I get the right load. I thought I had the right load a few weeks ago, but the group was a once only group and since then I would do better with the rifle at a skeet or trap shoot. This is about the best I have been able to get out of this rifle and using IMR4831. I am averaging about 3034 fps.
View attachment 300 Win Mag Using IMR4831.jpg

Maybe I should bring it down around 2975 fps?? Or should I speed it up??? I have worked with H4831sc, IMR 4831 and IMR 4350. I am going to give RL22 and RL19 a try tomorrow morning.

Anyone have a 300 win mag and 180 gr Nosler experience or any suggestions?

Thanks
338winmag

Mixed bag, for sure, Steve. The Vanguard is putting a grin on your chin; the Kimber leaves you perplexed. You're getting more than adequate velocity with the 7RM with either powder. If velocity was important, I'd likely try a slower powder on the 300WM. Your group suggests that you have plateaued and the accuracy is beginning to degrade. You likely had somewhat better accuracy at a slightly lower velocity (and lower pressure) than what you are now observing.

Steve,

Nice shooting buddy. Looks like you have some nice loads.
Try changing the COL on the 7mm RM RL 22 load, you should be able to tighten it up a bit.
The 160 gr AB at 3069 fps will be a flat shooting, hard hitting elk load for sure.

In the 300 Win Mag, try 75.0 grs RL 22 and the 180 gr bullet. This load has shot well under MOA in 3 different rifles and there are several others that have reported the same level of accuracy. Velocity should be 3000-3050 fps range which is more than enough horswe power for any elk both near and far away.

JD338

"Your group suggests that you have plateaued.." :shock:

DRMike. Are you sure you weren't there. :mrgreen: I had hit the plateua for all three powders. That is just incredible you can discern that from looking at a picture. Just incredible!

JD338 - man I think you are on to something. I know as soon as Scotty comes on board he is going to say RL22!!!!

I got to figure out how I can do some vulcan mind melds with you guys.
Tomorrow is RL22. Scotty do you concur? :lol:

Thanks guys :)
Steve

Steve,

I am very confident in loading the 300 Win Mag with 75.0 grs RL 22. It is just one of those loads that just shoots excellent for every one.
It alswo shines in the 7mm rem Mag too.

Looking forward to your range results with RL 22.

JD338

JD338":221ubdqt said:
Steve,

Try changing the COL on the 7mm RM RL 22 load, you should be able to tighten it up a bit.
The 160 gr AB at 3069 fps will be a flat shooting, hard hitting elk load for sure.

In the 300 Win Mag, try 75.0 grs RL 22 and the 180 gr bullet. This load has shot well under MOA in 3 different rifles and there are several others that have reported the same level of accuracy. Velocity should be 3000-3050 fps range which is more than enough horswe power for any elk both near and far away.

JD338

I am with Jim on both accounts. I think some seating adjustments might bring in your 160 load with RL22, but with if that IMR4831 is shooting that well, everytime out, I am not sure I would keep messing with the RL22. That is a killer group. RL22 looks like it would only take a little tweaking.

Jim nailed it with RL22. I would look somewhere in the 75-77 grain range with RL22 and 180 PT's.. As Jim mentioned, just about every 300 Win Mag I have stuffed a 180 grain bullet on has really sung with 75-77 grains of RL22. Some might take more, but I have had excellent luck working in there. Usually comes in around 2950-3050 for me.

drmike, is there any chance you can explain how you could see that in the picture?

He has a disease. He has done so much load work that he knows from the load data where you are at and from prior experience can tell where he needs to go. Just like a welder can tell you if your hot or cold by walking past you with an arc struck.

Knowledge of the cartridge, review of the load, analysis of what was observed, more years of experience than I can remember.

338winmag":1sur6x6g said:
Anyone have a 300 win mag and 180 gr Nosler experience or any suggestions?
Thanks
338winmag

Try 80gr H1000
Could never get my Remmy 700 in 300WM to shot great groups with 165,180 or 200 NPT
they are all hunting accurate but nothing to brag about

JD338":1ahmepx8 said:
Steve,

JD338

Good shooting and those groups would kill just fine and 100fps either way is no big deal as no elk, deer, around would ever know the difference.

Steve my 300wm liked 75.5 of RL-22 and the 180, under moa here as well.

On a different note, and this is just my feelings on this but I would rather see 5 3 shot groups with a big game rifle than 3 5 shot groups. I feel when working up a load for a gun 3 shot groups are easier to diagnose than 5 shot groups.

Bill

Got back from the range a "happy camper". :grin:
I could have saved myself a lot of previous range time and load test money if I would have just come out here and asked everyone about RL22 to begin with for the 300 Win Mag. Oh well. :(

The target below shows using RL22 in a 300 Win Mag shooting 180 gr Nosler Partitions. Unlike yesterday's nice 76 degree weather, today was a bit windy and a nice warm 87.

The first one at the top left is the fouling shot and I am no longer worry about the first shot after a serious cleaning. Most often I use a less expensive bullet to throw down for the fouler.

The next three are the bottom right three in a row grouping a respectable .702". The 5th shot is just above the three and still gave the grouping a respectable .832" and the 6th and last is to the left as a flier. I shot all 6 one after another with no barrel cool down with the exception of standing up and using the range scope so I am attributing the 5th and 6th shots to significant barrel heat.

View attachment 300 Win Mag Using RL22.jpg

The load felt so good that I am confident that when I take the camp hunter rifle owner out in the next 2 weeks, I can prove the load and shoot a consistent .550" or less.

Here is the other very nice result. 77 grains of RL22 zipped the bullets down at a nice comfortable average of 3147 fps. No sticky bolt, no brass or primer pressure signs.

Powder: RL22
Min Seating Depth: 3.340 - Base to Meplat\2.744 - Base to Ogive - .159 off LANS)
Quickload’s Powder Charge: 77.0 Quickload’s Pressure: 60561 Quickload’s Density: 101.1
Quickload’s Muzzle Velocity: 3121 fps Actual Muzzle Velocity: Avg 3147 fps

Thanks to everyone on this post! You were all correct.
Guess what powder I am going to rework for my 7mm Rem Mag!?
338winmag

338winmag":2qav7if6 said:
Guess what powder I am going to rework for my 7mm Rem Mag!?
338winmag

If I were to guess, I would say RL 22. :mrgreen:

Nice work Steve.

JD338

Steve, you need to embrace three shot groups buddy! Those are some great shooting loads. If you want to shoot more rounds, break it down to a couple 3 shot groups. Barrel heat in the 300 Win Mag in a light sporter has to be cooking! Either way, you have an excellent load. 5 shots fired one right after another that shoots that well will be a performer. That my friend is an elk load! Way to go. Way till you start running your 7mm Rem. I think you will be even more impressed.

I wouldn't worry about the temp sensitivity. I have been running RL22 for awhile and use it for ALOT of my magnums. Never had a problem.

Back