Range Day with the whole gang

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Brian invited the whole gang down to his range. We had Joel, Brian, Shaun, my son Brandon, my daughter Dylann, Matthew, Shaun's son Damien, and myself out there. Took us awhile to get started in the morning, but we got out there and commenced to finding a spot to set up out 300 yard target to verify some zero's and get some dope for our guns.

It was a great day, I think we were on the range from 1000 to about 1900 or so. Joel brought out his 264WSM. Brian had his 300 RUM. I brought out my 338, 264, 7WSM, 45-70, my son's 7mm Mauser and a 22LR for the little guys to shoot.

We had to use the trailer to shoot off as the vegetation had grown up quite alot since the last time we shot. Spent some time making trails to the target areas, and the kids had alot of time to ride their fourwheelers.. Well, I think we all rode them some.. :twisted:

Brandon shooting his little 22...

IPHONEPICS588_zps8818acb8.jpg

Joel and Brian doing some prep work

IPHONEPICS589_zps04ec7993.jpg

Brandon shooting his 7mm Mauser at 300 yards for the first time.. Did pretty well with it for its first time on the longer ranges.

He shot about a 4-6" group with it. Did pretty well, very proud of him

IPHONEPICS590_zps57856be7.jpg

IPHONEPICS591_zps64aa39fe.jpg

IPHONEPICS592_zps6514e23c.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BvTUIpyoa0&feature=plcp

Then, my buddy Shaun who just got into hunting and shooting last Fall got his new to him Model 70 300WSM on on the range. He set it up right. Put a 3.5x10 CDS on it and he was shooting the exact same load I am out of my 300WSM. RL19 and 180 AB's. Deadly combo in the rifle. He shot a few groups at 300 to get some dope and then proceeded to shoot on the target and steel at 600. His first time shooting steel at that range, man, talk about a happy camper. That rifle is a winner and an awesome showing yesterday.

IPHONEPICS594_zpsddf6a730.jpg

IPHONEPICS595_zps8ea4002d.jpg

Joel giving some coaching pointers.

IPHONEPICS596_zps50dc07e0.jpg

Joel spotting for my son with Joel's 264WSM.. Talk about a big hit. Anyone that wants a cool cartridge that will reach out with very little recoil and alot of swat, has to look at the 264WSM or WM..

Joel shooting my Guide Rifle with Dave's 470 grain Hardcast loads!

IPHONEPICS600_zps8afb671d.jpg

Dave, I gotta say THANK YOU! Those 470's are awesome over 40 grains of RL7.. We tried to put them in the jugs, but they slipped out the side of the 8th jug or so. Who knows, it could still be flying! :lol:

Here is Brandon shooting some of the 470 grain cast out of my Guide Rifle.

http://youtu.be/nmxO6l7nxjs

Matthew giving Brian some shooting pointers.. Darn kids well ahead of his time!

IPHONEPICS604_zpsea44050b.jpg

IPHONEPICS605_zpsc5a3c85e.jpg

Here was Brandon working out the M94 30-30 on some clay targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOUzm3Rm ... Z3caShLQkw

He also got a few water jugs with the 30-30

http://youtu.be/ZOMW1s0NYdM

Here was me putting the 444 Marlin into some jugs

http://youtu.be/KcyWyqM3IW0

Brandon getting some more time on Joel's 264 with the Premier scope! Anybody who hasn't looked through one of them, needs to. It is Swaro/S&B glass with turrets that are nicely laid out. It is an AWESOME scope and the #4 type reticle in the first focal plane was EXCELLENT!

IPHONEPICS606_zps2d82a9c1.jpg

Dylann and Damien getting out on the quads doing some riding.. They kept the area locked down and had a pretty darned good time!

IPHONEPICS609_zpsb4eaed01.jpg

IPHONEPICS607_zps08ddd4c2.jpg

Brandon getting steel at 600 yards with my 7WSM. Talk about making a DAD smile HUGE when your 14 year old son starts making the steel ring. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face! It was awesome. Hopefully I don't lose that rifle to him too soon.

IPHONEPICS608_zps1446bd08.jpg

IPHONEPICS610_zps5992b033.jpg

IPHONEPICS611_zps7de0209a.jpg

Brian after we got SOAKED right as we were packing up. The weather Gods must have been tired of us shooting, cause right as we were packing up, the sky opened up on us, really good!

IPHONEPICS612_zpsb28e2c05.jpg

Group shot

IPHONEPICS613_zpscf6d6024.jpg

IPHONEPICS614_zps28502e26.jpg

Brandon also did a little camo job on the quad to hide from his sister.. Pretty good work...

photo6_zps04581499.jpg

Oh, for you Ford lovers. I think this is Brian's truck stuck in the grass.. It was close but he finally got out of it.. It must have been tough for the Ford to get out of it's own way on FLAT ground with that REALLY slick grass! :lol:

IPHONEPICS615_zpscb29bf01.jpg

It was a great day with GREAT friends and family.. Hard to top days like that. Seems like everyone had a great time.

Scotty

Wow, you fellas had a "blast". :mrgreen:
Sure looks like fun.
You have done a great job of coaching your son, maybe too good becaure some of your rifles ARE gone!
Ya just don't know it yet. :wink:

JD338

JD's on to it there Scotty. You'll just have to acquire more rifles. :twisted:

Looks like you all had a good time. The youngsters will remember the day fondly long into the future. They're lucky to have a dad/gramps to make a day like that happen.

You're lucky to have a place where you can do that sort of thing. Wish I did!

That looks like a great friends & family day at the range!

A Super Duty Ford stuck? Tell me it's not so! :twisted:

It was a great day. There were ton's of trails for the little guys to ride behind the shooting line so they were able to tear it up on the quads. Us shooters spent some quality time getting some longer range shooting in. Needed that.

Guy, you'll have to ask Brian. He will probably deny being stuck, you know those Ford Guys!

Jim, I don't mind a bit losing rifles to the boy. That is why I have them all. I can't shoot them all, all the time. His 7mm Mauser is SOME deadly with the 140 BT though. I can't wait for him to plant one on a whitetail. I gotta feeling it will be a good day for him!

That had to be a great time with friends and family. Thanks for sharing, Scotty.

Big thank you to Brian for having everyone out for the day! We did look like a bunch of drowned rats after the rain started. It was great seeing both of their families again and meeting Brian's new daughter for the first time. She is a cutey and will be a handfull for the old man in a few years.

I was impressed with Brandon's shooting, especially with rifles he was shooting for the first time. He took his time and made sure he was set up prior to the shot.

That 470 grain cast in the 45-70 was fun to shoot :shock: . Not sure it would be fun all day on a bench, but a few shots off-hand weren't bad at all. I think the one that exited from the 7th jug is still orbiting the earth. :lol:

Scott - I think it was that 1/2 ton front bumper that kept him from being able to back up without putting it into 4 wheel drive... :wink:

Matt and myself had a great time with everybody this past weekend. Glad everyone else did also. I'm starting to get a handle at distance on this new 300 RUM. One more range session at 400-600 and the rifle should be good to go. That 470gr Hardcast with the Red dot was a "blast"! Sending those plastic bottles 20' in the air was fun! And let's clear the air on getting stuck. I was in mud trying to back uphill with a trailer. Never really stuck, just had the tires full of mud and not alot of traction. Don't look like grass on the side of the truck SCOTT! Joel and Scotty will get payback sometime soon :twisted:

17C951B7-FF3A-42F0-8EA1-7AA5B4E259DC-681-000000C4B6B9CE31_zpscbf5876d.jpg

Brian,

It's okay. Fords go where Dodges can only wish. :mrgreen: Even my hunting partner finally divested himself of his "mighty Dodge" for a Toyota. He's coming closer to perfection now.

Woodycreek":2b2wtmmm said:
And let's clear the air on getting stuck. I was in mud trying to back uphill with a trailer. Never really stuck, just had the tires full of mud and not alot of traction. Don't look like grass on the side of the truck SCOTT! Joel and Scotty will get payback sometime soon :twisted:

17C951B7-FF3A-42F0-8EA1-7AA5B4E259DC-681-000000C4B6B9CE31_zpscbf5876d.jpg

Looks to me like you took a pic of your Ford because you finally got mud on it. "Look, it got dirty and I made it home!" type thing. Why else would someone take a pic of a slightlyt dirty pickemup truck? :wink:

Looks to me like you took a pic of your Ford because you finally got mud on it. "Look, it got dirty and I made it home!" type thing.

Man, tough crowd here today. :)

CatskillCrawler":3nmin5u1 said:
Looks to me like you took a pic of your Ford because you finally got mud on it. "Look, it got dirty and I made it home!" type thing. Why else would someone take a pic of a slightlyt dirty pickemup truck? :wink:

Just trying to defend my truck from being attacked by "friends" :mrgreen:

Scotty my friend it looks like you and the rest of the crew had a great day.
That is what this sport is all about :mrgreen: thanks for the photographs and story:)

Blessings,
Dan

Woodycreek":odxi7qmm said:
CatskillCrawler":odxi7qmm said:

Just trying to defend my truck from being attacked by "friends" :mrgreen:

Ah yes, that "F" word.

Friends

DrMike":20m89ob7 said:
Brian,

It's okay. Fords go where Dodges can only wish. :mrgreen: Even my hunting partner finally divested himself of his "mighty Dodge" for a Toyota. He's coming closer to perfection now.

Sometimes, even men of the cloth have to show they are sinners as well. :mrgreen: Even so, I wish you hadn't done it in such disappointing fashion :cry: Who knows, mayb BC moose are different, but Wyoming moose PREFER the mighty Dodge Ram CTD....
dodge2moose.jpg

There is a great moose pic that goes here but I keep getting a message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." Have to use your imagination.
EE2

Back