Range Day

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I spent from 1000 to 1800 on the range today shooting my rifles and trying to fine tune my loads. My wife also spent about half of the day with me shooting her 308. I am getting her prepped for bear season and she is pretty tuned up.

I measured all of my groups today with my tape measure just to see where they were shooting. The 270WSM is shooting under an inch and closer to 3/4" every three shots. I am using Magpro and 130gr Interbonds.

The 300 Win Mag did pretty well with R22 and 165gr Interbonds. they were shooting about 1.25 to 1.50" with a max charge of 79gr's. I am not really happy with those, but they are hunting accurate and would be devasting on deer and elk. I am thinking I am going to try a 200gr bullet next to see how it does.

My new WBY 7mm Rem Mag! Wow, I zeroed it with 175gr Winchester Power Points and the first three shot group I put through it was about .75. I was stoked. I then tried the R22 and Abonds. Well those all went 1.0 or under and 63grs was very close to .50 for three shots. I think I have already found what it likes.

My old 7mm Rem Mag (M70). I tried some of the same factory 175gr Power Points and it planted them into an inch. I then found that a max charge of H870 and Speer 160gr Mag Tips would do under an inch very easily. The old 7mm really does shoot nice. Especially since it only has an old 4x Redfield on it.

My wifes 308 was shooting really well with Varget and 150gr SST's. We got it dialed in and she was shooting 1.0 - 2.0 groups all morning. She shot really well and really boosted her confidence.

My sons rifle was the winner of the day, with IMR3031 and a 95gr Partition it shot a little over a 1/4 of an inch. It had two in the same hole and the 3rd was a hair outside. It was awesome. I have really found what it likes. It was good with the 85gr Sierra's but the 95gr Nosler PT's will be a real deer slayer I think. Plus, that rifle just has a little 4x Bushnell on it.

I did break out my 338 Win Mag with the new scope and zeroed it 3" high at a 100yds. It was shooting about 1.5 consistently with Federal 225gr Trophy Bonder Bear Claws. I don't plan on hunting with those, but I had them left over so I figured they would work well for getting the beast zeroed. It does need a good cleaning, but that rifle will stack bullets when it is tuned up.

The last performer was my BLR 358. I made up some loads with the 200gr Hornady and IMR4198. With 41grs it stacked two groups of three into .75. That was awesome. I was very impressed with those, since the trigger is less than awesome, but that gun really made me smile. It may find its way with me somewhere soon.

Other than that, I still have some work to do with my 300, but the 270WSM and 7mm's are done as far as I am concerned. I still have some work with my 22-250, but that will be pretty easy I am sure. anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know how my day at the range was. I am really impressed with the Accubonds. With the way they shot, I wished I would have / could have bought them for all my rifles. Either way, I may try them in the 300 and will probably give them a shot in my 338. Thanks for all the tips. The R22 was a shiner in the 7mm, and did really decent in the 300 Mag. Scotty

I didn't have the chrono set up yesterday. It was all to see what load was the most accurate. I generally don't get too wound up about velocities if the upper loads are accurate. I like to know, but I want to find the most accurate first and then document the speed. It was a good day. I have all of the brass in the tumbler now, so I will get everything loaded back up to verify. Scotty

Agree. I haul the chronograph out and use it from time to time, but mostly I just like to shoot and see how well I can place the shots.

Seems you had a real good day at the range. My wife would NEVER spend that much time at a rifle range! She'll go with me and shoot the .22 a bit, and watch me shoot for a few minutes - then she gets bored and heads out.

At least she doesn't mind that I've got a bunch of guns and spend a lot of time and money shooting them.

:grin:

Yeah, my wife is pretty pumped to be getting a chance at a bear. She came through pretty well. She spent the majority of her time shooting off a back pack and over a stool. It was all around a bench, but in simulated field positions. I think she will do well. She has alot of confidence in herself and her 308 is a pretty good shooter too!. Scotty

Great day for sure. Time well spent with your child bride too. :wink:

JD338

Guy Miner":1ryr7fkg said:
Agree. I haul the chronograph out and use it from time to time, but mostly I just like to shoot and see how well I can place the shots.

Me on the other hand?? I am so anal I can not sleep at night if I do not know the speed! :shock: :p

The wife wanted to go again yesterday, but I explained for her few hours of shooting is multiple hours of me at the bench, trimming, resizing, priming, and loading new ones for her. It rained anyhow. Either way, she shoots well and the shooting reduced recoil 125gr's out of her 308 keeps her in the game longer. Even a 150gr SST over Varget is pretty stout on her. I barely feel it, but to the wife it is like a 375 H&H. I think the 125's will be her deer load for this year. Scotty

I'm just guessin here but it sounds to me like you kinda got it made! :grin:

POP":1i1piu03 said:
Guy Miner":1i1piu03 said:

Me on the other hand?? I am so anal I can not sleep at night if I do not know the speed! :shock: :p

Yes POP, one anal guy to another, you are so right!!!!!!! I could not sleep if I didn't know the fps of each accurate load. Accuracy is not everything if you do not have the velocity to get it there accurately or with enough energy and momentum to be a quick killer and effective round. Accuracy kills but does a lot better in killing if it is fast enough for the distance and job. Plus, the fps allows me to determine the bullet I need to use over a certain range to match to the velocity so as to effectively take the game I intend to hunt.

JDMAG":1doi6b4t said:
I'm just guessin here but it sounds to me like you kinda got it made! :grin:

Well, it takes alot of work to get her started and that is why we are doing this spring bear hunt. Weather is usally pretty decent during the time we are going and there are lots of bears so it should keep her busy. When she sits for long periods of time without talking is what wears her out. She has done some 20* hunting in NY and done well, but she prefers to be a little more active and actually pursue game. We will see. I will give you a full run down when I return. Still have a little more range time to do. Scotty

Back