Range day

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I had a beautiful sunny day for punching paper with the .338Wm today and worked up some 210gr PT with 72.0 & 72.5grs of RL17 velocity was right at 2921fps with both charges the bullets were seated .020" off the lands. The 72.5gr load printed a nice .534"X.338" so load work is done for that one.
The 3 200gr AB loads were disappointing since they ran 200fps slower than what Nosler listed them at. A 9 shot average ran 2777fps were Nosler list it at over 2900.
Temps were a balmy 34*f not sure if the cold had any effect on the powder but the groups weren't great either. My pics are too big to down load even after sizing them so I only have the one posted.

Attachments

• pic7.png
    pic7.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 802
I find the problem with days like that is the enjoyment is only temporary because the next time you go out it's really hard to do it again.....lol!
Great job and way to start the spring tinkering season!

The 210's will bring the goods to anything you plan to shoot and with groups like that it gives the confidence to thread the needle if needed. Great shooting.

Thanks for the kind comments. I'll turn my concentration to the 200gr AB and try to get it running. If the rifle doesn't like them it just doesn't like them and it won't bother me a bit. One things for sure and that is if the RL19 doesn't work or produce the velocities that's specified it will I'll turn it into fertilizer, 200fps is a big gap.

Fwiw.... I've seen a fair amount of difference from lot to lot of reloader 19.... my current lot is almost more a twin to reloader 22.

I only picked up a pound of RL19 because of the printed material ( Nosler E. Manual and others ) that it was the hot ticket for the .338Wm. Had I known I would have saved my money.

Truckdriver, 72 to 73 g of RL17 with 200g BT gives over 3000fps in my 338, Win brass and base of bullet seated to the bottom of neck. 200G acc should be similar velocities.

TD, I'd run with those 210 PT's anytime. Good luck with the AB's but I wouldn't let them frustrate you for too long before going back to the PT's.

kraky1":1k4368xq said:
Fwiw.... I've seen a fair amount of difference from lot to lot of reloader 19.... my current lot is almost more a twin to reloader 22.

Amen. Exactly what I was going to say.

TD... nice shooting but I'd bump those charges up to 76.5-77 before you give up on it.

If a hunting load I don't see a need to change a thing for your PT load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back