Ruining A Good Load

I just finished reading the Ballistics Research article on the .338Wm and boy was that writer a Nosler hater. Yep he had no good for Nosler accubonds or partitions and the .338Wm in general claiming a .358 cal cartridge would be better for anything Elk and above. If I had read that article prior to getting a .338Wm I may not have. I was looking for the SAAMI pressure rating for the .338Wm so I could understand where my max was.
I also dug out the old #1 Nosler manual and my #27 Hodgdon manual to see what kind of pressure per velocity my load was running which is well below SAAMI but right at most manual listings.

I used my Caldwell chronograph for the first time today and know exactly what you mean. One of my set 150 gr 30-06 loads was clocking right at or under 2800 fps, which was about 100-150 less than I expected, as it's not a max load. I won't change the load though as it consistently shoots right at an inch at 100 yards. It did make me feel better that factory 150 gr Winchester XP loads were the same speed and less accurate than my handloads.

Stick with your handloads TD. I'd say you have two great loads for that 338 to choose from. Good luck with it. Bret.

truck driver":2yn0c3s8 said:
I just finished reading the Ballistics Research article on the .338Wm and boy was that writer a Nosler hater. Yep he had no good for Nosler accubonds or partitions and the .338Wm in general claiming a .358 cal cartridge would be better for anything Elk and above. If I had read that article prior to getting a .338Wm I may not have. I was looking for the SAAMI pressure rating for the .338Wm so I could understand where my max was.
I also dug out the old #1 Nosler manual and my #27 Hodgdon manual to see what kind of pressure per velocity my load was running which is well below SAAMI but right at most manual listings.

I read what he said about the AccuBond as well and didn't agree with what he said. They have been excellent in the 35 Whelen. Also I can't see how there would real difference between the 35's and 338 WM either on how they perform on game. One of the reasons I got rid of my 375 Ruger was that it really didn't drop game better than the 35 Whelen but kicked a lot more. I do like reading the Ballistics Research site but he is off on a few things.

That 200 gr AccuBond load is a tad slow but like others have said it will work great.

Rodger,

That is a very nice group! And even if the velocity isn't quite what you expected from a magnum cartridge, it is still enough to take any elk walking. As suggested, I would test for consistency of performance and if it there, enjoy an accurate load that will be pleasant on the shoulder under field conditions and fills the freezer!

Your other group is nice too. Either will work very well on elk. Most of my 338 Win Mag experience on elk, grizzly and bison is with the 210 PT and it has proven itself very reliable.

TD,

Your Ruger 338 Win Mag is a great elk rifle, your load is still well above a 338-06 and 338 Fed, both good elk cartridges. One thing you may have noticed is Alliant's data, they only show 2806 fps with a 200g Speer and max load of RL 19. You might try RL 17 with your 200g AB, if the accuracy is there you might get a little more speed. Good luck with whatever you decide and you do have a great elk rifle. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... lletid=137

I know exactly how you feel, through the scope the group is tight, but then you look up the chrono data and its well below what you expected...I feel like one of those fan powered, floppy arm men at the car lots when they unplug it,,lol

I believe that the test barrels used by bullet and powder manufacturers are "blueprinted" to the small side of the respective bore tolerances. So they get to higher pressures (and velocities) at lower pressures. If you look at the old load manuals they normally tested on production firearms and tended to have higher charges than today. I have yet to load anything to a new manual and get the stated velocity.

RL19 and quite of few others have done the same thing to me over the years. I agree with the others, if that load repeats and holds its own, I'd just figure out how to add the couple extra inches of drop and practice the heck out of it..

On the other hand, I have no problem pushing over max charges to attain realistic speeds with a bullet. Having shot quite a few 338's with a bunch of RL19, 2950-3000 should be very possible without being dangerous, but again, if it is accurate and repeatable AND consistently shoots to the same point of impact will make you smile more than 100 FPS. It is nice to drop into prone and lock in on a 300 or 400 yard target and plant your rounds where they are supposed to go.

SJB358":3eum3db2 said:
It is nice to drop into prone and lock in on a 300 or 400 yard target and plant your rounds where they are supposed to go.

Indeed.

I here yeah and agree with you Scotty. It's still faster than my 30-06 with a 200gr bullet so it should get the job done with good bullet placement. I won't throw this this load away but will look to see if there is a faster node so I can hold on hair and squeeze off knowing I'm going to put the bullet where it needs to go. :grin:

TD, I know your feeling , I had a good for my 7mm08 with some 160gr BTSP overruns I bought from RMR giving me mid 2700 fps (RL17). Last year I bought a 7mm RM dirt cheap and secured some RL26 and develop a load using the 160's. To my surpise my starting loads which were 20+ grains of more powder than the 7mm08 were slower , but way more recoil. My load ended up in the mid 2900's so I felt a little disappointed too. 200 fps more with a lot more recoil. Sometimes magnums don't live up to being better. For a hunting rifle 200 fps the critters may never know the difference.

truck driver":hhntl96q said:
I here yeah and agree with you Scotty. It's still faster than my 30-06 with a 200gr bullet so it should get the job done with good bullet placement. I won't throw this this load away but will look to see if there is a faster node so I can hold on hair and squeeze off knowing I'm going to put the bullet where it needs to go. :grin:

Rodger , I'd say a 200 yard zero will give you the hold on hair sighting to maybe , 350 yards . an elk is a big animal with a big vital zone . play aroung with JBM ballistics to see for sure .

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

I just checked the JBM prediction and there is very little to gain in bullet drop or impact energy at 400yds by increasing the muzzle velocity to 2900 or 3000fps. The gain is around 1" drop at 400yds and 50ftlbs of energy and that is for 3000fps. so why worry with it :grin:
Sometimes we are just hard headed and won't give in till we have checked all avenues no matter how much people tell us.
DrMike is this a sign of Old Age Or should I ask April :?: :lol:

"TD Sometimes we are just hard headed and won't give in till we have checked all avenues no matter how much people tell us."
Ya think? But you have to remember if we had given up, we would have never have had a man on the moon, nor found this continent. Its all perspective.

Elkman":2d5j5j2a said:
"TD Sometimes we are just hard headed and won't give in till we have checked all avenues no matter how much people tell us."
Ya think? But you have to remember if we had given up, we would have never have had a man on the moon, nor found this continent. Its all perspective.
I hear yeah Buddy. But my people didn't find this continent. We were here before the rest of you decide to get out of dodge :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After reading all the posts, I agree that accuracy is number one. I personally would retest the load and if it repeats, keep it. But because it is early spring and I like to tinker, I would try getting a touch more speed and see if it is still shooting accurately.

Lastly, I have only shot 2 deer with a .338wm so my experience is very limited, but both deer never took a step. I have no doubt that your load will crush any deer/elk/moose you ever go after.

truck driver":1hdl9q1v said:
I just finished reading the Ballistics Research article on the .338Wm and boy was that writer a Nosler hater. Yep he had no good for Nosler accubonds or partitions and the .338Wm in general claiming a .358 cal cartridge would be better for anything Elk and above.

I enjoy reading Mr. Fosters articles and find lots of useful information. But, I have also learned to take what he says with a grain of salt. He is very into Terminal Ballistics, ie. damage done by the bullet. The more damage, the more interesting to him (I assume). He routinely talks up the Hornady SST and it appears to be his favorite bullet, especially after annealing the tip. He is interested in rapid expansion and large wound cavities. So, in his world often times the bullets that penetrate more than expand come off a little less exciting. I know that he really isn't knocking the Noslers, they are not quite what he prefers. I have also read articles where he spends some time talking about knowing the limitations of your bullets and taking appropriate shots and that it is rather difficult to find a perfect bullet that does all.

In my world, I have used SSTs and a variety of different Nosler bullets. I would prefer a Ballistic Tip over an SST in almost every instance, and in many situations I would prefer an AccuBond or Partition. I have also gotten into the explosive expansion game with the Berger VLDs and was impressed. What did I use on the last animal I harvested? A Ballistic Tip. What will I use next? Probably an AccuBond.

To each his own...

Back