Ranking the Levers

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I have at one time or another over the years owned a Browning BLR, an old 1860 Henry, Savage 99, Marlin 1895 and a 73 and 71 Winchester

The BLR is certainly the most versatile, caliber wise, but difficult to repair and clean, but they are well build and handle nicely. The Savage, at least for me, was a fun rifle, I had the 250-3000 and liked it. The Marlin in a 45/70 is as good of a coastal bear gun as one can buy, but I can not disagree with Cheyenne about the Winchester 71. The ease of using that rifle, the caliber, the ease of cleaning--if their is a down fall to this rifle it would be, no easy way to scope it. It would be hard for me to choose just one, but if forced to do so, the 71 might just be it for me. As it would allow me to hunt the animals I could hunt with the Marlin as well as the ones I could hunt with the Savage--just my thoughts

What about you fellows, which lever rifle is your favorite?

Marlin, hands down. Anymore I just have a .30-30 Glenfield, which is a budget version of the Marlin.

Though I find I like them all. We also have a Marlin .22, the 39A, which is my all-time favorite rifle. Not favorite .22, but favorite rifle, ever. And a Savage 99, recently brought back to life. And a .308 Win Browning BLR. It too is a very good gun, ours was made in Belgium. I say "ours" because it keeps getting passed around between three of us in the family.

Must be the westerner in me... I like lever action rifles!

Guy

The only lever gun I can't cotton to is the Winchester 1895. It is an aesthetics thing for me. The BLR is a delight to handle, and as you mentioned, the spect6rum of cartridges ensures it is a delight to handle. Savage 99s are always a delight to handle, especially when chambered in a cartridge that I find interesting. The various Marlin iterations all work wonderfully. I have shot quite a few of them; I especially find the older Marlins to be a delight to handle. The Winchester Model 71 is a classic, without question. I do enjoy the balance of a Winchester Model 64 and the heft of the Model 86. Alas, a review of my life recalls the presence of some fine rifles that I no longer own, one of which was a Model 64; I should never have allowed that particular rifle to leave my house. I have handled, though never shot the Model 92, Model 55 or the Model 65. Ultimately, my favourite is still the Winchester Model 94, and the several Big Bores are my favourite iteration. Must be why I own several.

Savage 99 all the way! We have over a dozen of them in the family in various calibers (.22 HP, .22-250, .250-3000, .25-35, .243, .284, .300 Savage, and .308). My first hunting rifle was a 99EG in .300 Savage. With it I have taken several mule deer and one cow elk.

The Winchester 94 and the Marlin 1893 are tied for 2nd place.

I had a neighbor growing up who had a Marlin 1893 in .32-40 that was just the most fun to shoot. It was no good out past about 150 yards the bullets starting dropping fast but you could keep it in a paper plate out to there easily with the open sights.

Lever guns are fun!

Dale

Savage 99, win 1892, Marlin 1895, Marlin 336, win 94, win 1895, BLR, win 71

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first big game animal was a whitetail doe with my grandfather's Marlin 30-30, so it will always have a place in my heart, as will my 375 Win in a Marlin 375S (used to harvest many black bears, moose and my first woodland caribou. Still looking for a 356 and a 41 Rem Mag.

After that first whitetail, my first bear was taken with my Dad's Winchester 94 in 30-30. I've also owned a big bore in 375 and still have a 356.

My first whitetail buck was harvested with a friend's Dad's BLR in 308 Win. That short lever throw and detachable magazine really impressed me. I still have 2 BLR's in 358 Win, and have also owned a Belgian in 243. Always looking of a 284.

The only 308's that I have ever owned (4) have been in the Winchester Model 88, and I'm waiting for my latest 88 to be completed in 338 Federal, with plans to eventually put a full length stock on it ( Thanks to seeing photos of two such rifles that John Wooter's had built in 7mm-08 with full length stocks - beautiful looking firearms!) have always kept my eye open for a 88 in 284 or 358.

I've also owned a Model 71 and a Model 86 over the years, as well as a Browning reproduction of a Winchester lever action (cannot remember Model # at moment) in 218 Bee, which I harvested my first lynx with. Should not have let that one go!

I have been wanting a Modell 99 in 250-3000 but have yet to find one in decent shape for a decent price.

As DrMike stated, I too have never cared for the Winchester 1895.

Being a lefty, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the versatile lever rifle!

Model 71

114_1438-1.jpg

P

Winchester 1894 25-35 WCF 26" Octagon Barrel. My first rifle back in the 60's. My Dad traded it away for a revolver. Wish I had it today.

Well H---, let me think LOL

Seriously, I am at a disadvantage as far as Ranking them, as I have only used the Winchester 71, the Browning BLR the Marlin 1895 and the Savage 99 and I like all of them.

Dr Mike and Gil, what don't you like about the Win 1895 ? In case I am ever tempted to buy one

Dale, you have a lot of Savage 99's, what is the largest caliber you can get in a 99.?

Is the desire for you guys to own a lever action in a 30/30 a John Wayne thing ? just joking

It's been a long time since I've actually shot a deer with a .30-30, but it is such a sweetheart of a cartridge...

Mild recoil & report. So easy to shoot. Impressive penetration & expansion. Those soft nose bullets work really well at .30-30 velocity.

And so easy on the shoulder! Oh, I already mentioned that...

Yeah - it's just a nice, light kicking, effective cartridge. Capable of more than most understand. My favorite is the Marlin design, with that solid top, but if someone is a Winchester fan, they've got a good rifle as well.

Regards, Guy

Cheyenne,

My distaste for the Model 1895 is purely a matter of aesthetics. They are fine rifles and definitely can be made to shoot quite well. Their design does allow loading spritzer bullets, which is a decided advantage. The design does not allow a natural carry as would a Model 94, Model 86, Model 71 or a Model 64. Would I own one? I've been tempted, especially when a new batch was released a few years back. I thought seriously about buying one chambered in the old classic 405 Winchester. However, I was more interested in the historic associations than in the rifle itself. Thus, I passed on parting with my money for this rifle.

Mike - yes, the 1895 is an odd looking lever action - but a good rifle.

I was sorely tempted by one in .30-40 Krag a few years ago. It had been restored & customized a bit, likely quite some time ago as it had light colored, diamond-shaped wood inlays in the stocks, as were popular in the 1950's and 1960's in some circles.

Blue job was beautiful. Had to have been done by a very careful gunsmith. It would have been a fun rifle, but the price was awfully high for something that no longer had any real collectors value.

Guy

yukon huntress":tlakffqn said:
Well H---, let me think LOL

Seriously, I am at a disadvantage as far as Ranking them, as I have only used the Winchester 71, the Browning BLR the Marlin 1895 and the Savage 99 and I like all of them.

Dr Mike and Gil, what don't you like about the Win 1895 ? In case I am ever tempted to buy one

Dale, you have a lot of Savage 99's, what is the largest caliber you can get in a 99.?

Is the desire for you guys to own a lever action in a 30/30 a John Wayne thing ? just joking

While I don't own all of those Savage 99s personally, they all DO belong to members of my immediate family. We are quit fond of them. I do like other lever gun designs as well though.

I am sure John Wayne has a little something to do with it as those are the movies we all grew up watching. Boy do I wish the Duke was still around.

The largest caliber Savage 99 I have ever heard tell of is in .375 Winchester so far as bullet diameter goes but the most powerful ones are no doubt the .284, the .308 and the .358. I wish Savage would bring these back even if it was in a Limited Edition capacity. We could add the .338 Federal to the stable and really have some fine spitzer flinging lever guns again. (Sorry Hornady, am just not as in love with the Flex-tips as some others are).

As a final note, I too harbor no resentment against the Winchester 1895. The only one I have ever fired was a .35 WCF that was very nice to shoot. Would like to have a modern version in .35 Whelen or .30-40 Krag personally.

Dale

The Duke primarily (if not exclusively) used Model 1892 rifles in his films. The Model 92 chambered in 44-40 is simply fun.

I'm with you, Dale, is saying that I would be sorely tempted to pick up a Savage 99 chambered in the appropriate cartridge. I would readily go for a .284 Win or a .358 Win, just 'cause. 338 Fed? Yeah, that would be okay as well. I shoot each of these cartridges, but they would be fun in a lever gun.

Cheyenne, for me it is just the depth of the action on the 1895 that does not fit the hand as well when carrying a non-scoped rifle, and the weight. Definitely does not carry as nicely nor seem to have that lively feel in the hands as the other lever rifles. Fine rifles, just my least favourite.

I never did rank them...
Favourite is Marlin, and due to nostalgia of my grandfather's rifle and my first large game harvest;
The one I utilize and carry the most, the BLR, due to short lever throw, detachable magazine and the ability to use spritzer bullets;
Winchester next for the big bore '94;
Winchester Model 88 next, liked the detachable magazine and ability to use spitzers, but do not have great triggers and have a habit of the stock cracking in the wrist due to thin wood material around the tang, and because of the design of the stock, gave more felt recoil than other lever rifle designs;
Then the Model 99, favourite feature was the brass magazine mechanism and the cartridge counter visible in the side of the action

I have owned them all at one time or another. Nothing comes close to a sako Finnwolf.

Had a lot of Levers over the years including Winchesters, Marlins and one Sako. Presently I have a 336 in .35 Remington (not the Texan model I've been looking for) a Model 94 in .32 special which I actually did literally stumble on at a local gun show and a model 39A with an Original Redfield peep sight which shoots lights out at 50 yrds. I happened to notice the 39A on the backside of a gun rack at our local gun show and that was the fastest reach I've made in a long time and also the fastest move for my wallet in a long time. The price was definitely right.

Fotis, I know several women in Europe who own and like the Finnwolf. One of the selling points for women in regards to the Finnwolf is the stock. The recoil of the 243 and 308 is pleasant as well. Probably a more robust caliber might be desired by those living and hunting in the mountains of Alaska and Canada, but if the the 308 is enough they are very nice rifles indeed

Dr Mike, I contacted Cheyenne and told her there are worse things than wanting to be like John Wayne. God, I hate people as young as Cheyenne or is that called, jealousy lol

Several years ago I did some load development with a Browning BLR in 308 Win.
It was a very nice handling rifle with decent accuracy.

I bought a Marlin 1895 Guide gun in 45-70 that exceed my expectations of handling, accuracy and raw horse power. The Nosler 300 gr BST went .400" at 100 yds and it just hammers WT deer. It has become one of my favorites for deer and bear hunting.
This led me to getting a Marlin 1894 in 44 Rem Mag for deer hunting out back. It is quick and light. Accuracy is acceptable at 2" at 100 yds which is fine since I don't expect to shoot that far. Its taken 2 deer, both at 30-35 yards and it hammered them.
Safe to say at this point that I am a Marlin fan although I would love to get my hands on Winchester 71.

JD338

Europe":np627k0m said:
Dr Mike, I contacted Cheyenne and told her there are worse things than wanting to be like John Wayne. God, I hate people as young as Cheyenne or is that called, jealousy lol

We older folk may be jealous, but we'll never admit to such frailty. :lol:

I have done load workup on a variety of BLRs (.308 Win, 325 WSM and .358 Win immediately come to mind), and all shot quite well. The only glitch I ever encountered was one new rifle that fired on closing the bolt. Turned out that it had a burr on the sear. In past years, I did load workup on several Marlin 1895s (Both 1895 G and 1895 SBL). Each one was a joy to shoot and all shot surprisingly well. These were all Guide Guns of one form or another. I confess that I wouldn't mind having an 1895LE or even just an 1895. One could do far worse than shoot a Marlin Model 1895.

Fotis, what do you see as the main selling point for the Finnwolf that promotes it to the head of the class? Never shot one; though I would no doubt enjoy doing so one day. Just haven't seen many up here.

Back