Fresh herbs
Cooking oil
Chilli peppers
Butter
Peanuts
Preparation:

Blow the rat skin with a blowtorch.
Leave rats to cool down.
When they are cool enough, clean the rest of the skin with a steel wool.
Eviscerate the rats and split them.
Put all the good rat parts in a jar, with the fresh peppers, herbs and oil.
Leave this for half an hour in the fridge.
Deep-fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil.
Serve hot with some crunchy peanuts.
More Rats Recipes

Bordeaux Grilled Rats
Skin and eviscerate rats that live in wine cellars. Brush with a thick sauce that combines olive oil and crushed shallots. Grill over a fire of broken wine barrels.

Stewed Cane Rat
Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato puree, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

Creamed Mice Skin, gut and wash some fat mice without removing their heads. Cover them in a pot with ethyl alcohol and marinate 2 hours. Dice a piece of salt pork or sowbelly and cook it slowly to extract the fat. Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper, and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about 5 minutes. Add a cup of alcohol and 6 to 8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the sauteed mice to it, and warm them in it for about 10 minutes before serving.

From Canadian naturalist and conservationist Farley Mowatt:
Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about five minutes. Add a cup of alcohol and 6-8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the mice to it and warm them in it for about 10 minutes before serving.

1rat_torched-th.jpg

1rats_killed-th.jpg

1rat_meat_cooking-th.jpg

1rat_meat_served-th.jpg

Hmmmmm. Owenv, have you tested these recipes in your kitchen? Or are you simply taking the word of others, who may be less culinarily sophisticated as the participants on this forum?

DrMike":3vddvdo1 said:
Hmmmmm. Owenv, have you tested these recipes in your kitchen? Or are you simply taking the word of others, who may be less culinarily sophisticated as the participants on this forum?

Noooooo wayyyyyyyyyy jose'!
1smileysick.gif
On a past archery hunt my hunting pal shot a porkypine. He cooked it that night and I did taste some of it. That's about a close to a rat meal as I will ever get.

Graduate students in the health sciences are notorious for eating their research. Armadillo, rabbit, tuna, mini-pigs have all served my family at various times. When I was doing doctoral studies in Dallas, a fellow student (from Taiwan), offered me a recipe for stir-fried rat. Since I was killing about 200 fat rats each Friday, I mentioned it to my wife. Her response was, "The day you bring a rat home, you don't have a home." Never got to try it.

{"The day you bring a rat home, you don't have a home." Never got to try it.}

My wife is a city girl through and through. A rat brought into her house would be grounds for divorce.

What amazes me is that she loves the deer and elk meat I bring home. Or should I say some times bring home.

JD,

Is that the voice of experience? Armadillo, I can testify to. Rat has not yet grace my table. I did pastor a Chinese congregation in Vancouver, which introduced me to a cornucopia of culinary delights. Earlier in my life, I worked with a predominantly Filipino congregation in San Francisco that was just full of surprises at potluck dinners.

Ah, Russ, perhaps you know of Balut, pancit, lumpia, and who could forget patis and bagoong? For years, our children did not know what it was not to have bagoong in the fridge, and lumpia was a common feature at our table. I still recall a most memorable Thanksgiving meal that consisted of dipping turkey in bagoong. As any Ilocano can tell you, there are three bagoong: one tastes bad, but smells good; one tastes good but smells bad; but the one that is a favourite tastes bad and smells bad. Indeed, any creature on God's green earth can be eaten if you are willing to try.

Back