RCBS piggyback and/or Dillon 450...?

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
A friend of my father's has a PiggyBack (not sure which one yet) and a Dillon 450. He's got plates for the Piggy back for 10mm/40 (I have a 40), 357 (don't have one), 45ACP (have one), and 41 Mag (have one).

He also has a Dillon 450 he might get rid of.

I'm really not familiar with either, but he knows I was looking at progressives and asked if I was interested.

Any insights into either of these units?

Thanks!

A couple of my Swat buddies and I bought a 550 quite a few years ago. Dang thing was too efficient. We would gather our supplies on a day off load thousands of rounds and then not use it for months.
Not familiar with the 450 but my guess is if you shoot a couple boxes a month it will be worth it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 450 which, as the numbers indicate, is the forerunner of the 550. The main difference in the two is the 550 has some automated features such as the powder measure and shell plate indexing. The 450's are manually operated. Many of the other features are the same.

Hope this helps.

Ron

The 450 is no longer made. BUT you can send it to Dillon and they will upgrade it to a 550.

Get the Dillon.

Tom I have both,the 450 which was upgraded to a 550 and a 550. the difference between the two is the 550 has interchangeable tool heads and the 450 tool head is solid and you have to change the dies separately, they both have manual indexing. The 450 will have the no bull shit life time warranty and will be honored by Dillon no matter who first bought it. Get the Dillon and don't look back.
Twice the machine with out the problems and if you want the auto prime and powder measure feature Dillon will up grade it for you for a price but still less than a new 550 and just as good just slower changing from one caliber to the next. Mine is set up to be dedicated to .45acp and the 550 has several tool heads which are set up for various calibers. You can load up to 30-06 rifle shells on either one and I use the 550 to size my 35 Whelen/AI cases on since the shell plate for .45acp is the same size as 30-06 and interchangeable. If you wanted to you could load for your 35 Whelen on it also.
I'll say this again encase you missed it ( get the Dillon )

As others have indicated, no contest, get the Dillon.

My favorite press is my Dillon 550.

Dillon makes a great press, and it'll always be worth 80% of what the current new press of the same number is going for.

What I would do, as others have indicated...is snag it and send it to Dillon for the 550 upgrades and never look back.

I declined the RCBS.

The seller is a friend from Alaska here visiting family. He said he's coming back in April and he will bring the Dillon with him then. I'll work out a deal with him then on the 450.

:)

Back