Rechambering a rifle

G

I am considering having a rifle rechambered from 30-06 to 308Norma Mag, as I have frequently heard that such a task is certainly possible, even routine for a gunsmith. I now have the gunsmith I asked about possibly doing it telling me it can be done, but that since it requires the reamer pilot to be unsupported for the first 75-80% of the cutting process (because of the existing -06 chamber), accuracy is not a guarantee. Seems like if I am going to do something to a rifle, I'd rather have an accurate one when I'm done. He did tell me he could put a new barrel on for nothing more than the cost of the barrel, so perhaps he is just trying to sell me a barrel. Anybody else have an existing gun rechambered to something longer/larger? Any gunsmiths tell you it might be a poor idea? I am curious, as it seems a straightforward operation, and with a lathe, how do things get out of alignment?

A good gunsmith will be able to set the barrel back and rechamber it properly and still maintain good accuracy. I would look at another gunsmith personally.

I don`t think you will want to rechamber your `06 to 308 Norma. The mag case is larger in diameter then the 30-06 and the bolt face will have to be opened up to fit, feeding also may need to be fiddled with to get it to chamber reliably. It may be cheaper to get a donor magmun action and go with it instead. Then again, I`m no gunsmith so my beliefs might be wrong.

What I had read was that it was a fairly straight forward rechamber, save the bolt face opening part. Even that is supposed to be pretty much a non-issue. The vanguard uses the same bolt, just not as big an opening machined out, so the issue is really pretty simple. Even the plunger is the same, and in the same place. On the -06, it is just a little less out in the open part of the bolt-face. So opening it up would not be a problem.

As far as setting the barrel back, I'd rather avoid that, thus the rechamber. If I want to set the barrel back, I can just buy a gun in 300WinMag and have that done without the issue of bolt face or magazine/feeding problems.

I will be asking another gunsmith about it in the not too distant future, as I will be taking a rifle in for a recrown and another in for cleaning at a shop in south Alabama when I am down there next week. Hopefully, he can tell me something different than what this guy did, or at least something more explanatory.

Well, you have hit on a touchy subject.

Back when I was a kid it seemed that every one that was a real gun nut was buying Model 70 Winchesters in 300 H&H and having them rechambered to 300 Weatherby Mag.
That was a pretty simple rechamber job and they all seemed to shoot quite well. I never gave it much thought and thought is as a no brainer procedure.

A few years ago I became friends with a darned good gunsmith. Myself and others talked to him any number of times about rechambering factory rifles and he simply would not do it. He claimed that the reamers would follow whatever imperfections there were in the factory chamber and the guns would not be accurate. He made up some damned accurate rifles for me but we always started with a new barrel that he chambered.

I have a 22-250 AI that another gunsmith reamed out for me from a standard 22-250 Remington chamber and it has always shot remarkable well. The same guy did several for my friends and they were all exceptionally accurate.

So, I guess it just depends on who you ask. Depending on their training and, or, experience a gunsmith may or may not like to rechamber factory guns.

I had a 308 Norma that was rechambered from a 30-06. Would shoot 2 inch groups at 300 yards all day. Easy job for a good smith.

7mmfan":2obneq7f said:
I had a 308 Norma that was rechambered from a 30-06. Would shoot 2 inch groups at 300 yards all day. Easy job for a good smith.

So, who did yours? I might be interested in contacting him. 2" @ 300 is probably better than I can shoot. I suspect slightly below MOA is about where I fall. But hey, I don't leave wounded animals in the woods, either, so just below MOA is working for me.

I had a 308 Norma that was rechambered from a 30-06. Would shoot 2 inch groups at 300 yards all day. Easy job for a good smith. PM me if you need any info on the Norma....I've taken 20 head of game with it.

Yep, like 7mmfan said, and myself, a "good" smith will be able to do it and keep accuracy. Keep searching till you find a good one. I'm sure there are people with good recomendations on smiths for the job.

Sorry, no longer in business, but I have a better one now anyways. Bobby Hart of RW Hart in PA, he'll do it.

I have a p-17 in 30-06 and same thing my gunsmith would not rechamber it in 308 norma mag it is an eddystone. I was told in order to remove barrel to have it done right i may have to put relieve cut in the barrel to get it of. Sometimes the action will still crack because they were so brittle . he would not use a floating chamber reamer because he could not gaurrenty the end result he told me some shot great and some did not and people got up set when they did not shoot great so he stopped doing it . end result it is stil an 30-06 till i rebarrel next year. I am not sure what action you have. keep us posted.

Back