Red dot scopes

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Scotty's recent thread on putting an Aimpoint on his and his buddy's 45-70's got me thinking again about a red dot scope like the Burris LRS or Leupold VX-R. I haven't done it yet but there is a pull to get one of them one day, something about a red dot and bear hunting that just seems to go together, one of them could be great on either my 35 Whelen or 375 Ruger. Maybe in the next couple of years it can be done, right now I need to be a good boy since a new Whelen just showed up and a Savage 260 Rem is on order.

How about you, any desire to get a scope like that?

Never had a desire for a red dot. However, I can see some possibility where the shots are close or ballistics dictate a hurried shot. Now, that might work just fine on my Model 94 375 Win. However, don't let Kurt know that I'd consider trading a 30mm Euro scope for a red dot. :grin:

Gerry, technically, a VX-R is a standard 30mm scope with an illuminated reticle. Typically, a red dot has a big main tube with no magnification, and when the power is turned off (or the battery is dead), there's no aiming point. Despite thinking the rig Scotty put together is cool as heck, I would rather run a low powered standard scope with illumination rather than a red dot were I chasing bear.

Just not on a '94 Winchester.

(Though to be honest, I do kinda like the PST 1-4x you have on one of your 1894s, Mike,)

An illuminated reticle is what I meant, don't know exactly why I want one but there it is :)

Actually, Kurt, I have that PST on the 375 Win, and I don't really like it all that much. I'm thinking of making a change, perhaps a 1.1-4X24 Zeiss Victory HT or similar scope. However, this discussion of the Red Dot has me thinking.

Gerry, I have mixed feelings about the illuminated reticles. I wouldn't turn one down, and there are certainly applications where they would be a benefit (bear in dark timber?). However, I haven't specifically gone looking for one yet.

I would like to try one of the illuminated reticles as well. I am kinda on both fences. I like the red dots on the lever guns for closer type shooting and can't find any negatives to them. Some of the makes make a #4 reticle with a red dot in the center. That would be the best of both worlds for me.

SJB358":9aisezfk said:
I would like to try one of the illuminated reticles as well. I am kinda on both fences. I like the red dots on the lever guns for closer type shooting and can't find any negatives to them. Some of the makes make a #4 reticle with a red dot in the center. That would be the best of both worlds for me.

I have the VX-R 3-9 With the #4 illuminated on the Nosler 48 - 35 Whelen and it's just about perfect.

I'm a huge fan of illuminated optics. I took a long range class that included a few low and no light shoots and the Nightforce illuminated gave me a huge advantage. It's amazing how big of a difference having that visible aiming point really matters against dark targets surrounded by dark.

DrMike":253ltet9 said:
Actually, Kurt, I have that PST on the 375 Win, and I don't really like it all that much. I'm thinking of making a change, perhaps a 1.1-4X24 Zeiss Victory HT or similar scope. However, this discussion of the Red Dot has me thinking.

Gerry, I have mixed feelings about the illuminated reticles. I wouldn't turn one down, and there are certainly applications where they would be a benefit (bear in dark timber?). However, I haven't specifically gone looking for one yet.

Don't like the scope, or don't like the combo? I always figured that would be a fine optic for an AR. Isn't it illuminated? My two PSTs are...

I don't like the fit on the Model 94. It is illuminated, and the illumination works quite well. Vortex worked that out and produced a good product. The glass is quality; I have no complaints about that. It just doesn't look quite right. So, it will likely go at some point in the near future and be replaced by another 30mm tube.

Aesthetics. It's all about aesthetics, especially as we age. :twisted: We can't be handsome any longer, so our rifles should at least look attractive.

I used to have one on my bow, replaced it with a EO Tech sight. I put the red dot on my 11-87 Super Mag for Turkey and night time coyote hunting. With shots 50 yds or less, it is just about perfect.

I am really happy with the VX-3 1.75-6x32mm I have mounted on my 1895G and can't see ever changing that set up.

JD338

SJB358":2ogzhjh4 said:

They are dang sure nice but one can live without them. My Z6 is an illuminated #4 and I like it but I wouldn't say the illumination is worth the extra money or at least on those scopes. Nice functional yes, but worth the extra $4-600 no. I got a mine for the same price as without which was the only reason I got it. I do really like the tritium recticle in the ACOG on my AR. For close in work at night it's the business!

I put a Leupold red dot on a .223 black rifle this past spring, and it is fun and fast for target aquisition!! My son took a couple quill pigs out labor day weekend (one morning, one 10PM) and the head off a grouse at 30 yards with this setup. The look isn't for the traditionalists, but they sure are functional!

I've thought about an EOTech on a big bore lever rifle mounted as far forward as possible. You can do anything with those things!

CMBTshooter":39fh58vx said:
I've thought about an EOTech on a big bore lever rifle mounted as far forward as possible. You can do anything with those things!
Im outta money and needing an optic for my 1895, I happen to have one of these laying around. It might get ghetto nod.

A couple years ago......I loaned one of my toys to my Bud in Texas to play with for awhile. During a major hog cleaning of a ranch south of Dallas.... he was getting 3 to 1 using the Red/Green Dot I had mounted on it.

Being he is a retired SF 1stSgt, he knew the toy quite well..... when they jumped a pack of 10 to 30 hogs, he was dropping 2-3 before the others with AR's dropped their first ones. Course... the 7.62x39 does a job on a hog.

Target aquistion is fast..... and even if not directly behind the scope.... if you can see the dot..and the dot is on target..... target down.

I've had good luck with them.....put one on my wife's DPMS Oracle. Thinking of upgrading to one that uses AAA batteries.

Just me being me.....

.280 Remington":20zcammc said:
CMBTshooter":20zcammc said:
Im outta money and needing an optic for my 1895, I happen to have one of these laying around. It might get ghetto nod.

Mike, I was in the same boat. After using it a few times now, I am really impressed by it. Matter of fact, I like it!

Mortis":1hz8d1ax said:
Target aquistion is fast..... and even if not directly behind the scope.... if you can see the dot..and the dot is on target..... target down.

Without a doubt. I love it. If you can put the dot on the target, that is where the bullet is going. Doesn't get much better than that for closer range hunting/shooting.

Back