Changing Red Dots

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
Just got a deal on a Vortex Defender red dot optic. 👍🏻

Since it’s “shake awake” and the Vortex Venom isn’t I’m going to mount the Defender on the Glock and put the Venom on my Marlin. I’ve already got the rail adapter for the Venom so it’ll be easy peasy.

The Scout Scope on the Marlin will go on one of my AR’s. Or maybe I’ll put the Venom on my Mossberg 590? It’s sole purpose is bear defense.

Vince

Last edited:
Optic is here and waiting on the GlockStore to send me my baseplate.

Why can’t optics and baseplates be universal? It’s really aggravating to have to search out what footprint your optic uses.

While I’m on my rant I’m going to rant against the GlockStore. Their website will not tell you if an item is on back order. Also, when you look up past orders it doesn’t show you what you ordered. It just gives you the tracking number and if it was delivered or not. Lastly, Lenny Magill, the CEO, is the most long winded saying nothing SOB I’ve had the displeasure of watching on YouTube.

OK, rant over. I’m going to go pour myself a double of Jameson’s. Haven’t started yet and y’all are lucky. This post would be twice as long if I’d already started drinking.

Vince

PS: I don’t consider Lenny Magill to be any sort of tactical expert. From what I understand he was the CEO of Verizon before the GlockStore. Maybe that’s why every time I see one of his videos I think, “Used car salesman.”

This might become controversial but I wouldn’t put much faith in your shotgun for bear defense. I have been unimpressed with shotguns on bears. Shotguns are great for bunnies, birds, and burglars. Stick to the rifle for bears.

This might become controversial but I wouldn’t put much faith in your shotgun for bear defense. I have been unimpressed with shotguns on bears. Shotguns are great for bunnies, birds, and burglars. Stick to the rifle for bears.
Thank you.

That’s VERY relevant information that is useful. Seeing as how you live in the last frontier you have on scene information that I don’t yet have.

You’re not the first person to say stick with the rifle. I call that a very important clue.

Vince

The only slug I view as adequate would be the brennekke black magic. Buckshot and traditional foster style slugs have proven ineffective, with pitiful penetration and little terminal effect.

Mostly you see fishermen carrying shotguns. It’s more of a “feel good” than effective defense. There is some utility for deterrence with a shotgun, non lethal options. Bean bags or fire cracker rounds, but not as a first line of defense.

The guys who kill bears and track wounded bears for a living all use rifles. I’ve never seen a hunting guide carrying a shotgun. A handy compact rifle is the best bear defense.

My personal bear defense rifles I have carried were big bore short lever guns in 45/70 and 44 mag. Medium bore levers in 411/9.3x62 wildcat and 35 whelen. Also short barreled bolt guns in 338 WM, 375 h&h, 9.3x62, and when I really mean it the 458 Lott. I built and rarely carried a 450 bushmaster AR15.

Currently the 45/70 lever and tikka boar hunter in 338 are most likely to be carried afield. The marlin 44 stoked with 300gr XTP stands guard over the chicken coup.

I guess I’m really hijacked your red dot post. The defender looks pretty good. I’ve used the venom on a g40. It served me very well. Easily doubling my effective range with the 10mm. I currently have a couple RMR and several holosun micro dots. They all seem to work about the same but given my choice the holosun circle dot reticle is my favorite

Hijack Away!

Great information and I appreciate it.
I’ve laid in some Black Magic Magnum slugs but now I’m really thinking the rifle is my best option.

Vince

I changed out the optics.

Rather, I put the Defender on the Glock. I like that it’s a little smaller than the Venom and has a “sleep” feature with motion awakening capability.

Now I’m thinking about putting the Venom on my 45-70 instead of my shotgun. I’ve laid in some Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3” slugs which is my bear defense load. Maybe I’ll just use my 45-70 Remlin with Buffalo Bore hardcast loads for bear defense.

I’m probably overthinking this. Right now I have a Scout Scope on the rifle. Would you keep the Scout Scope, go with the XS Big Dot iron sights, or put the red dot on the rifle.

An enquiring mind wants to know.

Vince

I’m a big fan of the scout setup as a general medium range hunting option. Having quick release rings and a good ghost ring is a great backup option. Either way a weapon mounted light is a game changer when it’s dark and things goes western.

Attachments

• IMG_1692.jpeg
    IMG_1692.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1
What do you use to mount a light, like a TLR1, on the lever gun?

Found a Hill People Gear lever action rifle mount.
Bought it.

Vince

This is the one I had on my marlin.

Skinners mount looks to be more universal.

I have all used a Remington rear scope base glued and screewed to the side of a bold gun stock. And also made a custom under barrel mount for my 375 RUM.

Mounting underneath looks cleaner but a side mount will light up a fiber optic sight

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpeg
    IMG_2036.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2039.jpeg
    IMG_2039.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2040.jpeg
    IMG_2040.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2043.jpeg
    IMG_2043.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5007.jpeg
    IMG_5007.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 4
I like your setup.
Now you got me thinking of how to mount a light to my .375 bolt action.

Vince

What kind of stock do you have on your 375?

Attachments

• IMG_5010.jpeg
    IMG_5010.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5011.jpeg
    IMG_5011.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 4
I think I still have that piece I made for my 375, we can use it as a template and have one milled for yours. Just takes any aluminum rail to make one very easily and easy to install in a wood stock.

The only slug I view as adequate would be the brennekke black magic. Buckshot and traditional foster style slugs have proven ineffective, with pitiful penetration and little terminal effect.

Mostly you see fishermen carrying shotguns. It’s more of a “feel good” than effective defense. There is some utility for deterrence with a shotgun, non lethal options. Bean bags or fire cracker rounds, but not as a first line of defense.

The guys who kill bears and track wounded bears for a living all use rifles. I’ve never seen a hunting guide carrying a shotgun. A handy compact rifle is the best bear defense.

My personal bear defense rifles I have carried were big bore short lever guns in 45/70 and 44 mag. Medium bore levers in 411/9.3x62 wildcat and 35 whelen. Also short barreled bolt guns in 338 WM, 375 h&h, 9.3x62, and when I really mean it the 458 Lott. I built and rarely carried a 450 bushmaster AR15.

Currently the 45/70 lever and tikka boar hunter in 338 are most likely to be carried afield. The marlin 44 stoked with 300gr XTP stands guard over the chicken coup.
Wait, did you say 35 Whelen lever? Second time I've heard that, but never seen one. Was that a typo, or can you tell me what model? Thanks!

Yes it is a 1895 that was rebarreled in 35 whelen. It’s currently at the smith getting cut to 20” and a scout scope rail and sights
Andy Larsson at Skinner Sights has one in 9.3x62. He recently took it to Africa for cape buff and more! :)

He's got it set up real nicely with one of his aperture sights.

Guy

Back